Proposal: Toronto - Nashville *Offseason*

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It'd make more sense for the leafs to be dealing futures + Andersen for Saros than the other way around. The Preds probably realize they aren't cup contenders and would more likely take futures than deal them off.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
It'd make more sense for the leafs to be dealing futures + Andersen for Saros than the other way around. The Preds probably realize they aren't cup contenders and would more likely take futures than deal them off.
i'd love to trade for Saros but Andersen is a UFA so he cant be in the deal

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Nope. Askarov is a very intriguing prospect but probably isn't going to be an impact player during Matthews' current contract/Tavares' prime.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
That's basically impossible as we have nobody else for the 3-4 seasons til Askarov is ready.

We have cap space to sign a replacement or better than that, re-sign Hyman and Rielly to long term deals.

No doubt Willy will be missed though but I value Askarov really high and he could be ready sooner than that timeframe.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Value isn't bad but not sure I see Nashville selling Askarov.

They're in a weird spot where their top players are in their prime, but they're not nearly good enough to contend.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
All GM's are not 'fans' they make trades to help their teams win immediately (rebuilds included), never for the long term future, because, they may not have a future with that team if they arent successful.
if a top line young player is offered for a goalie 4 years away at best, the GM will make that deal 99 times out of 100.
the only reason they may not is if they just signed a long term deal themselves.
and when the only roster player you are giving up has a career high 30 pts and is older than the player you are getting its a no brainer.
these are the type of deals that get the GM trading the young player get fired over.
even if the goalie becomes the next super goalie, it wouldnt be for 4-6 years, so, there will likely already be a new Gm and coach in place by then for both teams.
Poile’s like 75 and has already (literally) lost an eye for the team. I’m willing to bet his moves are more aligned with best interests of the franchise vs. not getting fired.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Poile’s like 75 and has already (literally) lost an eye for the team. I’m willing to bet his moves are more aligned with best interests of the franchise vs. not getting fired.
my statement was a generalization of how the majority of all GM's do their dealings. ...there are always exceptions to the rule.

Nylander for example would be the best offensive player Nashville would have seen in a while, and if they could land him, i have no doubt they would try, especially if it doesnt cost any valuable roster pieces.
Saros is young enough to play 10 more years before a decline, so, i doubt any goalie with starter potential would want to sit and wait, if Saros has a Rinne type tenure.
Nylander can play C, but, it stifles his offense (which seems to fit Nashville's style ), but, he is best served as a winger

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
my statement was a generalization of how the majority of all GM's do their dealings. ...there are always exceptions to the rule.

Nylander for example would be the best offensive player Nashville would have seen in a while, and if they could land him, i have no doubt they would try, especially if it doesnt cost any valuable roster pieces.
Saros is young enough to play 10 more years before a decline, so, i doubt any goalie with starter potential would want to sit and wait, if Saros has a Rinne type tenure.
Nylander can play C, but, it stifles his offense (which seems to fit Nashville's style ), but, he is best served as a winger
Nylander isn't as good as Forsberg. I would anticipate the usual ding to Nylander's production that any player gets coming here. So he'd be about a 40-50 pt winger in Nashville, which isn't significantly better than our other current top-6 wingers either. That's not worth paying $7M for, and that's not worth giving up one of our core future building blocks just to get 3 seasons from while we're in a mini-rebuilding phase.

Toronto shouldn't do it either, of course, they're already trying to contend right now today, so why trade a contributing top-6 winger in the middle of a contention window for an unknown futures piece. Toronto fans are certainly right to reject the proposal also. But no need to overrate Nylander's value to another team whilst doing so.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I forgot, all leaf players are 1st liners. Neither Tavares nor Nylander see the opponents top defensive matchups because they are not on the top line.
Nylander and Tavares are 1st liners. If you choose to look at it different that’s up to you. No need to get defensive about it though.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

So you’re saying just some random hypothetical GM who wouldn’t in any way be involved in this potential deal. Got it.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Values are close and believe a reasonably good proposal. NSH would likely decline due to cap issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad