Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers 3/5/2014

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Am I the only one who thought Lundqvist was himself last night? No softies, and stoned the Leafs several times.

Probably the worst game of McDonagh's season. And the Rangers as a whole gave up way more point-blank opportunities than normal. AV has to tighten things up, they look rusty on their own side of the red line post-Olympic break.

I wouldn't call the PS goal a softy, I just feel like the guy has a mental block. Every time he says a guy on a breakaway of penalty shot he ***** his pants. I didn't realize that this was his THIRD PS goal allowed this season. I don't think Mike Richter allowed three in his career. He was never great at these situations (well Penalty shots yeah, breakaways no), but this season he's clearly spooked whenever there's a breakaway for PS. Remember the Tampa game where he poke checked for no reason inappropriately?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I can understand Lundqvist slumping, I just can't understand how so many players on D can go from amazing to horrible. After the Chicago game I started to feel like they were playing event at a higher level than the 11-12 D most of that season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ola, I generally like your posts and I know it's still early, but where did that come from? I mean Diaz on our 1st defensive pair? Diaz has the tendency to get stuck in his own zone badly. He's pressured easily and his play along the boards is below average, to put it nicely. He's good at transitioning through the neutral zone. I could see us giving Klein-Diaz a shot against weaker competition (as we could also try him on the PP), but putting him with McD dosn't solve any of our problems.

Falk on the 3rd pairing isn't bothering me itself, but there are at least 7 defensemen on this team that are better. Due to the system Vigneault plays, make that 8 because Allen's the more mobile type. Falk doesn't have the skating to chase guys around man-on-man.

Agree on your Kreider-stance.

I wasn't aiming at anything that it being a "concept" lineup.

We aren't good enough when our D's aren't executing a good transition game. As currently contructed, they aren't doing it. What could we possibly do to improve our D's passing game? Maybe play Diaz more. The only solution I could come up with. Don't know why I did not put Allen in there instead of Falk though in light of the above thinking... ;)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Dominic Moore is a good hockey player.

One of the better depth signings for sure. Good thing they nabbed Carcillo too considering Dorsett has been underwhelming to say the least. I was pretty upset with the Carcillo trade, but I'm currently eating crow. I dished out more than enough with the MSL saga however, so I'm even. :)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
JT Miller getting pulled from the lineup in favor of Dorsett on the 3rd line is a terrible personnel decision by Sather. That line had nothing going all night.

Boyle
D. Moore
Carcillo
Dorsett

Choose any 3 and run with that as your 4th line. We have much better options for the 3rd line than one of those players. Fast, Hrivik, Miller all would have been much better choices. Not that it wins us the game last night, but you just don't cripple skill players with a grinder like Dorsett.

And this isn't a rail against Dorsett, he just doesn't belong on the 3rd line.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
One of the better depth signings for sure. Good thing they nabbed Carcillo too considering Dorsett has been underwhelming to say the least. I was pretty upset with the Carcillo trade, but I'm currently eating crow. I dished out more than enough with the MSL saga however, so I'm even. :)

Agreed on Carcillo. Looked like a desperation move, but he has been played a simple, disciplined, smart game.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

IMO, best 4th line we've had since I started watching (00-01).

Bardof425*

Another night where our opponent's goalie is better than ours. There was no doubt in my mind that Bozak was gonna score on that phantom penalty shot and on the winner many goalies would have read thay both D went behind the net and would have been more aggressive with the stick to stop the pass out front that was two inches from his post. Once it was on Bozak's stick it was over, but hank should have intercepted that pass; seen it a million times from aggressive goalies.

nikonsniper*

Remember when C-bus fans were telling is that Dorsett was the fan favorite and the hidden gem of that trade? That we would like him better than Moore and Brassard?

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Dorsett is really the disappointing one of the bunch. He just doesn't do enough out there. I'd rather have Carcillo on the ice.

Boyle always does some positive things and no matter what, the guy comes to play when it matters and that is everything.

Dom Moore should always be one of the 12 forwards.

OVerall, I'm not sure the lines are correct right now.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Sit Dorsett forever. Call up JT and play him on the third line until Zucc gets back. Switch Hags and CK. I want to see Kreider with MSL.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
JT Miller getting pulled from the lineup in favor of Dorsett on the 3rd line is a terrible personnel decision by Sather. That line had nothing going all night.

Boyle
D. Moore
Carcillo
Dorsett

Choose any 3 and run with that as your 4th line. We have much better options for the 3rd line than one of those players. Fast, Hrivik, Miller all would have been much better choices. Not that it wins us the game last night, but you just don't cripple skill players with a grinder like Dorsett.

And this isn't a rail against Dorsett, he just doesn't belong on the 3rd line.

Is there any reason why Miller isn't a staple on this club from here on in?

Someone said he had to be sent down due to playoff eligibility? ??

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Is there any reason why Miller isn't a staple on this club from here on in?

Someone said he had to be sent down due to playoff eligibility? ??

AHL eligibility. He couldn't have played morr AHL hockey this year if he wasn't on the roster at the deadline

Doesn't explain why he wasn't just re-called at 3:01

Brock Sampson

Feb 23, 2014
Is it my imagination or were we trying different lines last night? I remember Stepan D Moore and Nash being on a line and I also remember MSL Kreider Klein and McD being on the ice at the same time. Am I blurring my memories together?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad