Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers 3/5/2014

KreiMeARiver*

He is gutless. He is a huge man and cowers at the hint of physicality. He's fat, out of shape, lazy, and indiferent.

It's a problem. Little by little Sather has gutted this team of it's fortitude.

wow, really?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Is it my imagination or were we trying different lines last night? I remember Stepan D Moore and Nash being on a line and I also remember MSL Kreider Klein and McD being on the ice at the same time. Am I blurring my memories together?

MSL/Kreider, McDonagh/Klein was probably in the middle of a line change. Moore ended up on that top line in the last couple of minutes of the game, where AV is still not 100% comfortable with Kreider in a tight matchup.

MSL was double shifted after Dorsett got benched in the 3rd, leading to a French Connection line (one can dream) of Pouliot-Brassard-St Louis.

KreiMeARiver*

JT Miller getting pulled from the lineup in favor of Dorsett on the 3rd line is a terrible personnel decision by Sather. That line had nothing going all night.

Boyle
D. Moore
Carcillo
Dorsett

Choose any 3 and run with that as your 4th line. We have much better options for the 3rd line than one of those players. Fast, Hrivik, Miller all would have been much better choices. Not that it wins us the game last night, but you just don't cripple skill players with a grinder like Dorsett.

And this isn't a rail against Dorsett, he just doesn't belong on the 3rd line.

He shouldn't even be in the lineup, honestly. Yeah, sending down Miller is a joke. We don't need/can't afford to have both Dorsett and Carcillo in the lineup at the same time.

Brock Sampson

Feb 23, 2014
MSL/Kreider, McDonagh/Klein was probably in the middle of a line change. Moore ended up on that top line in the last couple of minutes of the game, where AV is still not 100% comfortable with Kreider in a tight matchup.

MSL was double shifted after Dorsett got benched in the 3rd, leading to a French Connection line (one can dream) of Pouliot-Brassard-St Louis.

Thanks I appreciate it. I was a bit out of it last night...

Bardof425*

Yeah like last night when he was chiling in the passenger seat to make that first SH goal happen. Lulz.

that is truly hilarious. he gets a breakout pass. Takes it into the offensive zone is first knocked off the puck, then knocked off his feet. While he's on the ice Moore retrieves the puck in the corner throws if out front; it hits a defenseman's skate and goes to McD who shoots it towards the net and luckily it hits Phaneuf and goes into the net.

Brian Boyle did everything he could to thwart that SH chance and yet fanboys like you use this abortion of an attack as an example of how well he is performing. Take off the rose colored glasses and see the slug for what he is. Geez.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Seriously, what do you like about his game?

He created the McDonagh goal last night. He wins faceoffs and he's a good defensive player.

Hating on Boyle is the equivalent of hating on the fourth outfielder of your favorite baseball team. Given his role, he's not expected to be a good offensive player. I never understood the hate. Do people think they sound smart by pointing out that the fourth line center who plays all his shifts in the defensive zone doesn't score a lot?

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I am praying for Zucc to be back next game and that they put him with someone in desperate need of a spark.

I'm sure Zuke will need a couple of games before he is in gameshape again.
And as I have understood, Miller has played well on the third line,no?

Bardof425*

He created the McDonagh goal last night. He wins faceoffs and he's a good defensive player.

Hating on Boyle is the equivalent of hating on the fourth outfielder of your favorite baseball team. Given his role, he's not expected to be a good offensive player. I never understood the hate. Do people think they sound smart by pointing out that the fourth line center who plays all his shifts in the defensive zone doesn't score a lot?

Stan, no hate. However, the complaints stem for the reality that's he's average defensively outside of the faceoff circle and when you combine that will offensive ineptness, you have a bad player

As for CREATING McD's goal. as posted before, very funny. I guess getting knocked off the puck and off your feet is deemed to be creating a goal. He had an offensive opportunity and did everything wrong except skating towards the net after the puck was easily taken from him (which happens all night in all three zones). Just since the break his linemates have worked their butts off to get him at least three point blank scoring opportunities and he has rewarded them by botching them all. I hope we're still not debating whether he is a better hockey player than Dom Moore. And again I don't expect him to score, but he needs to win more battles along the boards.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah and just short of selling the farm for the 1st overall in 2015, the Rangers never have nor will get the next generational talent unless it comes out of nowhere late in the draft.

So a big who gives a crap to Connor McDavid.

Well, not to add fuel to the fire as I was a fan of the MSL trade (aren't we in a PGT?), from what I understand in the NHL's new rules, EVERY team who misses now has a shot at the #1 overall pick.......

So seemingly, the Rangers could finish outside of the playoffs next year (come on, not likely) and then have a shot at McDavid. Only now, they don't have a first round pick.

Now, if the Rangers DO finish outside the playoff next year, this team has a lot more problems than not having their first round pick in 2015. There must have been some serious **** that went down if that's the case. No excuses for this team to miss the playoffs.

My $0.02

:)

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Stan, no hate. However, the complaints stem for the reality that's he's average defensively outside of the faceoff circle and when you combine that will offensive ineptness, you have a bad player

As for CREATING McD's goal. as posted before, very funny. I guess getting knocked off the puck and off your feet is deemed to be creating a goal. He had an offensive opportunity and did everything wrong except skating towards the net after the puck was easily taken from him (which happens all night in all three zones). Just since the break his linemates have worked their butts off to get him at least three point blank scoring opportunities and he has rewarded them by botching them all. I hope we're still not debating whether he is a better hockey player than Dom Moore. And again I don't expect him to score, but he needs to win more battles along the boards.

I have no idea what game you were watching but that isn't even close to what happened on McD's goal. If Boyle doesn't forecheck hard and block the pass from the TO defenseman, who is trying to move the puck out of his defensive zone, the goal never happens. He wasn't coming in with the puck on his stick and got knocked off. It was sent up the ice off the faceoff from NYR defensive zone and Boyle was the first forechecker.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I have no idea what game you were watching but that isn't even close to what happened on McD's goal. If Boyle doesn't forecheck hard and block the pass from the TO defenseman, who is trying to move the puck out of his defensive zone, the goal never happens. He wasn't coming in with the puck on his stick and got knocked off. It was sent up the ice off the faceoff from NYR defensive zone and Boyle was the first forechecker.

Please, don't let what actually happened get in the way of a good Boyle bash from his biggest fan, Bardof.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sure Zuke will need a couple of games before he is in gameshape again.
And as I have understood, Miller has played well on the third line,no?

He's only missed a few weeks and he's been skating I assume, it's not like it was a leg injury and he couldn't skate. I'm sure there will be some getting used to again but I doubt it'll be a couple of games.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Yup, just went back and watched it again. Boyle makes a nice defensive play to keep the puck in the offensive zone by blocking the outlet pass. He then gets stick checked but is still able to force the puck in to the corner. Moore skates hard to the corner and throws it to the net, where Boyle smartly plants himself to try and create a scoring opportunity, the puck bounces off the goalie and out to McD.

Bardof, basically you see what you want to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
If Nash continues to play like he's on valium, and continues to be 100% worthless in the playoffs, would anyone be adverse to trading him for a bag of who-gives-a-****.

Honestly, as skilled as he may be, he sets the worst possible example for younger players. There's a chance AV is just ruining Kreider by playing him with the laziest forward on the team.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
If Nash continues to play like he's on valium, and continues to be 100% worthless in the playoffs, would anyone be adverse to trading him for a bag of who-gives-a-****.

Honestly, as skilled as he may be, he sets the worst possible example for younger players. There's a chance AV is just ruining Kreider by playing him with the laziest forward on the team.

Agree with you about him needing to pick up his play...but he isn't ruining kreider by playing with him...but I do think the lines need a shake up

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Agree with you about him needing to pick up his play...but he isn't ruining kreider by playing with him...but I do think the lines need a shake up

When Zucc comes back they should go back to Kreider-Stepan-Zucc. That line was lights out for a while when Nash was hurt. Nash can play with Brass and Poo.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

We'll see how the rest of this season plays out, but being someone who talked him up and thought he would add a dimension to this team it did not have, I have been somewhat unimpressed this year. Even last year despite leading the offense with Stepan, I thought he was underwhelming at times for what he should be bringing. They really need him to play with more intensity consistently. He does come up with timely goals, but much like Stepan, when he's off, it's ghost central. They both need to turn their overall game up a notch.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I know Nash has always been overrated a a "power forward" but he looks completely afraid to have the puck on his stick at times, and completely unwilling to cut to the interior of the ice.

Maybe it's age but I think the 2 concussions in calender 2013 did a number on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad