GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Calgary Flames - 7:00 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I've been chirping this cute girl at work for weeks about her being a Leafs fan. Now I have to go in and get an earful all day tomorrow. The Flames are the worst wingman ever.
Pity s3x for the win. Just go in like the injured puppy you are.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
IMO the problem is there and not being addressed... Maybe after a short playoff run this year it finally gets addressed but defense wins championships and TO is woefully short.

In regards to not liking the Leaf's, the ineptitude in Management from Ballard trading McDonald, Williams, Sittler... To such a good '93 team mismanaged again despite fleecing the Flames by not adding enough to compete when they had the deepest pockets of them all because ownership was worried more about profits... To Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf all being rewarded to handsomely before they won a anything really....

ANd it is happening again.... A little sunshine comes and management throws caution into the wind throwing money into bad contracts (Please understand I am not saying the players are bad.. I am saying their contacts are toxic) Other than Reilly there is not a value contract on the Leafs. FYI he should be your captain... He is the only one that bleeds blue.
You’re comparing bozak Kessel and phaneufs contracts to legitimate superstars that the leafs currently have. Even Kessel is a 1B player. Marner Tavares and Matthews are all superstars whether you like it or not. And they got paid and as long as they produce, that’s fine by me. When they stop producing but you’re on the hook for a big contract is when you’re in trouble

So are kadri and Andersen’s contracts not value? They both make less than 5. Andersen has stats as good as almost anyone in the league and kadri is a back to back 30 goal scorer in a 3rd line role. Your grasping at different things here that are fundamentally wrong because you don’t like the leafs. And that’s fine.

Pittsburgh has won 3 cups with Offense. Washington last year. Chicago’s strength was offense. More grasping and pulling stuff out of thin air and stating it as fact with nothing to back it up. I address what you say and you pivot to something else.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If nothing else, this thread has confirmed that Leafs fans are legitimately even worse than Oilers fans.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Sens fan here.. score is not indicative of the game. I really feel for you guys losing to the laffs.. b.s how the refs have missed so much

I really feel for you in general.

Leafs fans actually complain about Andersen...

Not this one, I think he’s the best goalie in the league. He’s amazing and I jumped for joy when we got him. He was the deciding factor tonight, you guys poured it on

I've been chirping this cute girl at work for weeks about her being a Leafs fan. Now I have to go in and get an earful all day tomorrow. The Flames are the worst wingman ever.

Whoever she is, she supports the right team :thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah I forgot that was signed while I was recovering from surgery.... As for the hometown discount I disagree.. The teams signing these young guys to these huge contracts with no results will end up paying the price. At least Connor put up an Art Ross and Calder.

Matthews put up a Calder and that is it.

Sorry to break it to you but McD did not win the Calder. Thats one trophy he will never win.

EDIT: A Stanley Cup is not looking to good either.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So I missed the whole game due to work.

Where did we go wrong? Could we just not recover from the 3-0 deficit from the first period?

trv

Nov 4, 2014
Didsbury
Reading this thread it sounds like Flames are done, no skill, no goaltending, no defence. I don’t know how they won any games this year. It was a less than stellar performance for sure, but against a really good team with really good goaltending. I may be the outlier, but I’m looking forward to the next game. If someone told me at the start of the season we’d be first in the west on March 5th I would have been ecstatic. Looking forward to the rest of the season, and the playoffs.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
My god Leaf fans might be the most obnoxious in all of sports. Looking forward to Boston breaking their hearts for the 50th straight year in a little over a month.

Don't really have much to say about this game. One team executed and finished and the other didn't. Some pretty tough breaks for sure. There was definitely some good and some bad tonight, people will blame the defense and the goaltending and perhaps rightly so in this one, but I still believe it'll be the Flames' lack of an elite center will be the thing that sinks them if anything. I like Monahan, I like Monahan a lot, but until he can start taking over games at both ends of the rink and actually WIN the head to head matchups he's put in on a consistent basis it'll be the same old story since we traded Nieuwendyk. They really need to separate him from Gaudreau for a game or two and remind him he was drafted to be a catalyst for the team and not someone Johnny bounces pucks off of. Try something different, adjust, shake it up a bit, because the last coach that didn't was shown the door in quick fashion.

That all being said that's the first time the Flames have lost back to back games in regulation since November, so there's no reason to be stepping out onto the ledge just yet :laugh:

Reactions: Sk8M8

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

No way, little bit of friction = opportunity. Gotta show you can roll with the punches. Godspeed.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Reading this thread it sounds like Flames are done, no skill, no goaltending, no defence. I don’t know how they won any games this year. It was a less than stellar performance for sure, but against a really good team with really good goaltending. I may be the outlier, but I’m looking forward to the next game. If someone told me at the start of the season we’d be first in the west on March 5th I would have been ecstatic. Looking forward to the rest of the season, and the playoffs.
We do that too. Personally, I have a hard time remembering that people usually use the GDT/PGT to vent afterwards. That can make it pretty unbearable at times.

I said in the Leafs GDT that with average goaltending, and puck luck, Calgary wins this one, and with just the latter it would be very close. It was a very, very weird game in which I think you guys mostly looked good. The Hyman goals was not a good look, but the rest of the goals against were pretty much the type that you just shrug off. It was a 6-2 game, but I thought Calgary looked like a very strong team.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I have lost faith in this team as a legit contender. Where the f*** is our top line? And we don't have a hot goalie going into the post season...f*** the leafs, I hope the burnout in the POs.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
and you can bitch and whine about officals all you want, we all know TO is gonna get the favours. It didn't cost us the game, we lost 6-2, not 3-2. TO was clearly the better team...at least until I stopped watching in disgust. The biggest difference is likely in net, Anderson was fantastic.

Reactions: Sk8M8

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
IMO the problem is there and not being addressed... Maybe after a short playoff run this year it finally gets addressed but defense wins championships and TO is woefully short.

In regards to not liking the Leaf's, the ineptitude in Management from Ballard trading McDonald, Williams, Sittler... To such a good '93 team mismanaged again despite fleecing the Flames by not adding enough to compete when they had the deepest pockets of them all because ownership was worried more about profits... To Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf all being rewarded to handsomely before they won a anything really....

ANd it is happening again.... A little sunshine comes and management throws caution into the wind throwing money into bad contracts (Please understand I am not saying the players are bad.. I am saying their contacts are toxic) Other than Reilly there is not a value contract on the Leafs. FYI he should be your captain... He is the only one that bleeds blue.

As a Leafs fan I agree with some of your criticisms but I have to take issue with you saying the trading away of Williams was a bad thing.
The Leafs got back two young stars, Bill Derlago and Rick Vaive, for Williams and Jerry Buttler and was probably one of the best Leafs trades ever, right up there with the Gilmour trade.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Let's just say, if this was a playoff series, and this exactly game was played just as it was in all seven games with the difference being focus, luck, and officiating, the Flames have that series wrapped up in six games or less.
Don’t see how you could come to that conclusion but.. ok? Anyway tough game last night guys, shit happens. Don’t treat it like a world-ending loss, you guys will bounce back. And hopefully for my fantasy team it’s Lindholm and the top line on fire again soon... pls :help:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Don’t see how you could come to that conclusion but.. ok? Anyway tough game last night guys, **** happens. Don’t treat it like a world-ending loss, you guys will bounce back. And hopefully for my fantasy team it’s Lindholm and the top line on fire again soon... pls :help:

THe conclusion is based on the High Danger Scoring chances and shots in general. The Flames dominated the first 2 periods everywhere except on the scoreboard. The Leafs D while better with Muzzin is still lacking and the Flames exploited that very nicely. Freddy had a hell of a game, Rittich had a bad game- thus the result you saw. Realistically speaking both goalies trend to their average and it becomes a much different result.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
THe conclusion is based on the High Danger Scoring chances and shots in general. The Flames dominated the first 2 periods everywhere except on the scoreboard. The Leafs D while better with Muzzin is still lacking and the Flames exploited that very nicely. Freddy had a hell of a game, Rittich had a bad game- thus the result you saw. Realistically speaking both goalies trend to their average and it becomes a much different result.

That doesn’t make up for 4 goals. Andersen’s “average” is much better than Rittich to be fair. Also, don’t forget the leafs are missing their 2nd pair defecemen in Dermott and Gardiner.

Reactions: Julio Jones

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
So much. That’s why they’re dead lost in power play opportunities.
Oh sure, officiating decides rankings of PP opportunities? Only Toronto doesn't realize how many unseen advantages they get :laugh:

I'll never forget that feeling of absolute disgust when Calgary was in Toronto you were gifted a 5 on 3 including a bullshit call on Giordano, which was pretty much the only game this season Peters called out the officiating in the post game scrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad