GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs (5-1-0) vs Detroit Red Wings (4-2-0) | 7:30 PM EST | SN360, SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
No GDT on the Red Wings' boards? What's up with that?
It's Detroit. Pretty sure this is who is running things
robounemployed.png

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Even though it's a back to back, I feel like the Leafs should win this game. It's been too long since our last blowout...time to score 5+ goals tonight.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
In general. This is the 7th game of the season and there have been 2 or 3 trap games already according to people here. I know it's not every other game, I was exaggerating. I am just sick of hearing it. Leafs have not accomplished anything to have "trap games". They have to play pedal to the metal every game. Maybe when they win a cup or 2, we can say "this is a trap game" or "that is a trap game".

but you don't need to accomplish anything to have a 'trap game'.
again. Big win the night before, big match right after, game in the middle is ho hum.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Isn't that the definition of a "trap game"?

Maybe you're using the word trap differently than what I do. A trap game is where one team doesn't press the offensive zone and lets the other team come out with the puck. Usually they clog the neutral zone with 4 players high and one defense low (in case of a dump) and regain possesssion that way. As soon as they lose possession, they drop back to the neutral zone. Rinse and repeat.

New Jersey was a neutral zone trap team for years in the 90's and early 2000's. It's boring as heck to watch but was effective at the time.

That's what a trap game is.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe you're using the word trap differently than what I do. A trap game is where one team doesn't press the offensive zone and lets the other team come out with the puck. Usually they clog the neutral zone with 4 players high and one defense low (in case of a dump) and regain possesssion that way. As soon as they lose possession, they drop back to the neutral zone. Rinse and repeat.

New Jersey was a neutral zone trap team for years in the 90's and early 2000's. It's boring as heck to watch but was effective at the time.

Trap team, NJ is a great example of that style of play.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
considering how tight the playoff race was last year, and right now no one has really taken off and set the table to just 'coast' for the season (like Montreal did last year) - yes. we're going to say 2 points will be huge. (or my thing - secure 1 point, then get the other one)

1 point ties us with tampa,
2 puts us ahead of everyone. (in the League I think if i checked correctly)

Exactly, every game is important. So why bother saying it every game? Then when huge games do happen, it's not the same broken record.

2 points are always huge!

A win tonight and we finish the night as the best or second best team in the league.

Technically, you don't want to play any "huge" games in the regular season. To do that, you have to treat games in October the same as the games in March and April.

The Leafs game against Pittsburgh late in the season was a huge game because we needed the points. If we already had an X next to our name, it wouldn't be a big game.

Finally, thank you. The hyperbole gets exhausting when 1/10 posts on a PGT is "what a huge game". There is nothing huge about tonight's game, it's pretty average.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Yeah what they mean by trap game is pretty much a game that'll catch you by surprise since you underestimate the other team or another reason.

Youre talkin about facing trap teams, which I hate too :laugh: Thank god NJD is finally an exciting team, but now Montreal is looking like a boring ass team to play which we play 6 games a year against.

Reactions: GrizzLeaf

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Exactly, every game is important. So why bother saying it every game? Then when huge games do happen, it's not the same broken record.

Finally, thank you. The hyperbole gets exhausting when 1/10 posts on a PGT is "what a huge game". There is nothing huge about tonight's game, it's pretty average.

so saying I'd like to win is okay
but saying, just get 1 point (or 2) is not?

it's basically same the same thing - but in different way.

I never said anything about this game being huge. or it being a trap game. I'd just like one point and figure out how to get the 2nd.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
was thinking last night if Brown continues on like this do we see him on the top line? he is really good defensively, and great on the fore check, and better finshing than hyman

I like hyman, just a thought

Probably not, but then a question would be what would happen to Marner? He can't be spending too too much time on the 4th line, or can he?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
We are good but please guys look at the standings. Detroit is 2 points behind us. Also I watched them against Tampa the other night, and if were not for Vasilevskiy Tampa would have lost huge. He made 3 or 4 monster saves (especially in the first) to let his team get on track. This is not the preseason anymore Dorothy. Detroit is fast, skilled, hot goal-tender much like when we faced NJ. In addition we played last night. In saying all that, I am not hinting we will lose. But I am saying don't count your chickens before they hatch. Last night many on the Cap's thread were saying they were going to route us, before level headed person said, "well our defense is young, and really weak," (Washingtons) and look what happened. Ya it was only 2-0, but we all know it could have been 4 or 5 nothing after one period. What worries me with tonight is, we were flying yesterday especially in the first period. Detroit had the day off and was waiting for us. I can see us flat to start, digging an early hole OR we come out fast, but cant sustain that for as long. If the latter, hopefully we hit the net and score several before that happens. Again people, watch what you say before looking at the team we are playing. It is not like Detroit has 3 points like the Habs. There is a great example, we recently played them and barely won that game. Tonight is dependent on how the guys come out of the gate, and in addition if we are back to the penalty box (too often) this team will hurt us. Zetterberg, Mantha and Green are on absolute fire.

Anyway.

GLG

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Marne is the wrench in that idea. But maybe not. If Brown deserves it you move him to the top line. Then you put Marner with Kadri, Hyman with Bozak (or Komarov with Bozak), and the last guy (Hyman or Komarov) go to the 4th line. I really think the only reason Marner went to the 4th instead of Kadri's line was for 2 reasons. The first is that line usually gets the top defensive assignment, and whether it is just Marner or the entire line (Bozak, JVR) defensively he is not there this year yet. The other reason is I think Mike wants that chemistry to develop, with Marleau, and that can only happen if you leave them together. So far 5on5 anyway, I have not liked Komarov, nor Marleau. Far too many 1 and done, and Kadri seems to be the only guy working on that line (offensively). Komarov on the PK has been money, no issues there. I guess things take time when you get a new guy, especially at Marleau's age, and when factoring in how long he was in SJ, I guess it is no mystery why that line is not clicking just yet.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The dropping of points at this time last year was a big reason we had to scratch and claw our way into the playoffs, and the start Montreal had was pretty much the only reason they were able to get there.

Don't kid yourselves, banking points early on in the year, especially against divisional/conference opponents is important. A win tonight, and this team is rolling. We haven't even played our best hockey yet. That should scare teams, and keep the fan base excited.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The dropping of points at this time last year was a big reason we had to scratch and claw our way into the playoffs, amd the start Montreal had was pretty much the only reason they were able to get there.

Don't kid yourselves, banking points early on in the year, especially against divisional/conference opponents is important. A win tonight, and this team is rolling. We haven't even played our best hockey yet. That should scare teams, and keep the fan base excited.

exactly.
get the points now - and build up enough leeway to at least control your own destiny.. the Leafs were at every point in control of their own playoff fate last year. I have loftier expectations (Division title or bust) - but ultimately, i want the Leafs to again never really depend on teams around them to secure their fate. let them be in the driver's seat.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Its going to be a close game I think. The Leafs huge advantage in the PP is decreasing as we are seeing the refs not calling everything like they were to start the season. Teams like Detroit and less skilled teams gain from this as they are allowed to hook and slash to make it close. We saw this in the MTL and WSH games. Knew the NHL wouldn't enforce it properly. What a joke.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
The dropping of points at this time last year was a big reason we had to scratch and claw our way into the playoffs, and the start Montreal had was pretty much the only reason they were able to get there.

And don't forget the 20 game metric. At the 20 game mark you can usualy predict how the standings will look at the end of the season. Yeah there are always a couple of teams that fair better or worse than what the 20 game metric says, but those teams are outliers. For the most part any team that's bubble at the 20 game mark will be bubble at the end of the season. Same goes for teams that are well in or well out.

So, early wins are deff important.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Yeah what they mean by trap game is pretty much a game that'll catch you by surprise since you underestimate the other team or another reason.

Youre talkin about facing trap teams, which I hate too :laugh: Thank god NJD is finally an exciting team, but now Montreal is looking like a boring ass team to play which we play 6 games a year against.

Ok thanks.

I was missunderstanding what others meant by trap game then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad