GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs (5-1-0) vs Detroit Red Wings (4-2-0) | 7:30 PM EST | SN360, SN1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think McBackup starts off strong. Pickard is serious competition for him. Should be motivation.

I think if he makes the saves he needs to make, our offense can overwhelm this Detroit defense

Yep - he doesn't need to be amazing tonight. Just needs to be steady - steady in front of this offense, which will score, will win you the game.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If my memory serves me, Matthews line did pretty well possession-wise against Zetterberg last year. Should be even better this year if they're matched up.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Gotta be ready to come out flying tonight even though it’s a back to back. This has trap game written all over it if they don’t bring a full effort.

Mcbackups first game I think he will be good tonight

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Seeing as how Matthews now has a higher face off win percentage (and Nylander is no slouch)...I'd honestly have no problem if Babs wanted to sit Bozak for a game and let BOTH Moore and Fehr play.

Crazy, I know...but that's annoying Bozak's defensive zone coverage is this season.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Detroit is playing surprising well to start the year, so this isn't a gimme game by any means.

Could be a trap game, after last nights big win and Leafs play dropping off a little.

I've watched most of their games this year. They have had amazing goaltending. That and a good PK have put them where they are.

Majority of their games they get outshot, outchanced, and beat on the FO circle. They've also played and won against Vegas and Arizona (most likely two lottery teams by end of year). I would say their best game of the season was against Tampa, but they ended up losing that one. They could easily be 2-4 right now.

At best they'll be an 82 point team. Still not a great team in my eyes. We are a great team and we're on home ice. Very few games should be a gimmie in the top league, but we definitely should expect to come away with two points. Anything less is a major disappointment in my eyes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Poor Leivo. What does he have to do get a chance?

I would go far as saying Leivo should get an opportunity over Komarov's spot for a game or two

He must have done something really in the presence of Babcock. I think Panik was the same way, both guys were just not really used and it seemed like Babs didn't like them. Oddly I do fully believe we are a better team when Leivo is on the ice, he does try hard so it can't be that.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Poor Leivo. What does he have to do get a chance?

I would go far as saying Leivo should get an opportunity over Komarov's spot for a game or two

Change his name?

So in order to win a full-time job, you need to not play and just hope someone gets injured?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I really do feel sorry for Leivo, I know i know he gets paid a lot of money blah blah. If the kid genuinely loves playing hockey im sure he'd like to see if he can make it this NHL thing. We have depth on the wing in case of injuries, kapanen and johnsson are ready just trade leivo

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So in order to win a full-time job, you need to not play and just hope someone gets injured?

Yes that is exactly what he is there for and he will get a chance.

just trade leivo
No this is the wrong thing to do. We are not going to get much in return for him and we need a guy who can sit on the sidelines and wait for a chance. If we trade Leivo, somebody else will have to take his place. Corrado did it, Leivo did it, every team needs a 13th fwd.

I'm sure management communicates with Leivo and tells him his chance will come. Possibility of losing Komarov/Bozak/JVR this offseason opens up a few spots and one will be his. Don't feel bad for the kid, he will play in the NHL. Meanwhile, let's keep him in our system and practicing with our squad so he meshes well when his chance comes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Feels like one we'd usually lose tonight. So we'll probably come out flying and put up 4 in the first period.
Yep, classic trap game.
I was wrong about last night's result, here's hoping I'm wrong again.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am so sick of this phrase, "trap game" my God. Every game against a supposed "bad" team a trap game? I mean really. Then good teams would always lose against bad teams. Seriously, come on.

I don't think just because the team is bad or perceived to be bad = a trap game. And I've always made that argument. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night.

What I think what most people call a trap game is - the leafs had an emotional/tough/big (whatever) match up. the next game is going to be a Divisional rival who is right up there chasing them (and is SUPPOSED to be there). right in the middle - you have a team that you may not have any attachment to - shouldn't be adrenaline pumping, no real history or drama, or anything. they're just milquetoast.

Thus. a trap.
you should be ready every night (obviously). you should be prepared but there's going to be those games where you just get lulled into

in 82 games - when you are a contender - you should basically have.
40 games of "We came we went in we won, thank you kindly.
10 games that you lost
10 games that could have gone either way, get your OT point call it a day

so that gives you 22 game where it's a pick'em, or a burn the tape (which should really be less than 10), or you squeaked out a point somehow.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Are we going to say "2 points would be huge" in every GDT this season? lol

considering how tight the playoff race was last year, and right now no one has really taken off and set the table to just 'coast' for the season (like Montreal did last year) - yes. we're going to say 2 points will be huge. (or my thing - secure 1 point, then get the other one)

1 point ties us with tampa,
2 puts us ahead of everyone. (in the League I think if i checked correctly)

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't think just because the team is bad or perceived to be bad = a trap game. And I've always made that argument. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night.

What I think what most people call a trap game is - the leafs had an emotional/tough/big (whatever) match up. the next game is going to be a Divisional rival who is right up there chasing them (and is SUPPOSED to be there). right in the middle - you have a team that you may not have any attachment to - shouldn't be adrenaline pumping, no real history or drama, or anything. they're just milquetoast.

Thus. a trap.
you should be ready every night (obviously). you should be prepared but there's going to be those games where you just get lulled into

10 games that you lost

so that gives you 22 game where it's a pick'em, or a burn the tape (which should really be less than 10), or you squeaked out a point somehow.

Well put and after winning last night, this game sure feels like one.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Thus. a trap.

10 games that you lost

It seems like every other game for you guys is a "trap game" around here. Gimme a break.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
McElhinney* better not f*** this up, this is a game that he HAS to win, and he can't win this 6-5 or 5-4 or even 4-3 that's not good enough, he has to win and he has to look good doing it because Calvin Pickard is in the AHL looking to take McElhinney* job. a job we all know that unless he gets hurt Pickard is likely to et at some point anyway.

We also know because we saw it last year Babcock isn't going to put up with any crap from his backup goalie we saw what happened to Enroth when he shit the bed, he has gone after 4 starts.

this is a MUST win for McElhinney*

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Biggest game of the year so far.............until possibly the next one.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lets face it. Leivo is just injury insurance. He won't get a spot on this lineup. It's too deep and the only player he can come in for is Matt Martin but the Leafs love him and so he will always be in the lineup.

Management realizes he's a good player, that is why they kept him, but they also realize that the Leafs offense is a bit ridiculous. We've got plenty of guys on the AHL that could be NHL ready and are just waiting for their turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad