Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
As much as I love Dobson this is a big no from the leafs POV

Toronto- Mitch Marner, Cody Ceci and 2019 2nd round pick

New York- Noah Dobson, Ryan Pulock And 1st 2020

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Marner is the best player and a star but this is a no from tHe isles.

Mayfield has an absolute steal of a contract and is a huge mean right handed defensive dman who skates pretty good and can play big minutes if need be.

Dobson is the Crown jewel of the isles. He’s the closest thing as a prospect to Alex Pietrangelo/Seth Jones. He’s a big, great skating right handed defenseman with off the charts IQ and an understanding of how to play defense. He’s the best isles defensive prospect since Berard.

People love to live in the what have you done for me lately so from a far they're down on Wahlstrom a bit. His “bad” season at BC was overblown imo and deserves some context. BC wasn’t great offensively and Wahlstrom absolutely hated school and didn’t want anything to do with school. As soon as he signed his ELC he looks excellent in the AHL as an 18 and produced at a decent clip, albeit a small sample size. Wahlstroms shot is flat out ridiculous and I expect a bounce back year from this US development programs prolific scorer.

Marner is an elite player and could make the isles bette offensively. The problem is the isles are deepest at wing. The 2 biggest needs are another star/top6 center and a top pairing defensman.

Dobson, while still just a prospect gives us the best shot at having a top pairing defenseman. Right handed defenseman carry more value than left handed defenseman.

No disrespect to Marner because he may be worth a package like that but it doesn’t make sense from
The isles.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Marner is the best player and a star but this is a no from tHe isles.

Mayfield has an absolute steal of a contract and is a huge mean right handed defensive dman who skates pretty good and can play big minutes if need be.

Dobson is the Crown jewel of the isles. He’s the closest thing as a prospect to Alex Pietrangelo/Seth Jones. He’s a big, great skating right handed defenseman with off the charts IQ and an understanding of how to play defense. He’s the best isles defensive prospect since Berard.

People love to live in the what have you done for me lately so from a far they're down on Wahlstrom a bit. His “bad” season at BC was overblown imo and deserves some context. BC wasn’t great offensively and Wahlstrom absolutely hated school and didn’t want anything to do with school. As soon as he signed his ELC he looks excellent in the AHL as an 18 and produced at a decent clip, albeit a small sample size. Wahlstroms shot is flat out ridiculous and I expect a bounce back year from this US development programs prolific scorer.

Marner is an elite player and could make the isles bette offensively. The problem is the isles are deepest at wing. The 2 biggest needs are another star/top6 center and a top pairing defensman.

Dobson, while still just a prospect gives us the best shot at having a top pairing defenseman. Right handed defenseman carry more value than left handed defenseman.

No disrespect to Marner because he may be worth a package like that but it doesn’t make sense from
The isles.
All of that is true, and shoving Ceci into the deal is a deal killer. Can't fit the contract if we add Marner, and Ceci is an absolute tire fire in his own end. Trotz would probably kill him half way through the season. As is, he's poised to be the new Leaf fan whipping boy in very short order.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
As much as I love Dobson this is a big no from the leafs POV

Toronto- Mitch Marner, Cody Ceci and 2019 2nd round pick

New York- Noah Dobson, Ryan Pulock And 1st 2020
As much as I love Marner, this is a big no from the Isles POV.

Dobson, as you know, is going to be a star, on a cost controlled contract for a long time. Trading him and Pulock, another cost controlled top 4 D, for the right to pay Marner 11m+, doesn't make sense for the Islanders.

Everyone overrates their prospects, but I think the Islanders view Dobson as off limits. He may be the most highly regarded D prospect in the league.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
As much as I love Marner, this is a big no from the Isles POV.

Dobson, as you know, is going to be a star, on a cost controlled contract for a long time. Trading him and Pulock, another cost controlled top 4 D, for the right to pay Marner 11m+, doesn't make sense for the Islanders.

Everyone overrates their prospects, but I think the Islanders view Dobson as off limits. He may be the most highly regarded D prospect in the league.
I also believe he’s the best D prospect in the league. BUT when acquiring a piece like Marner you’d need to give up a lot to acquire him like a near Eric Lindros amount.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Congratulations on creating a trade proposal that both fan bases will hate.
This happens with virtually every proposal here. That’s because 97% of all fans in these particular forums overvalue their assets. In fact, on HFBoards specifically, a trans fanbase is the last place you should expect to get proper player valuations on their players.

Saying that, I feel the majority of true neutrals would suggest this is a pretty bad deal for Toronto.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I also believe he’s the best D prospect in the league. BUT when acquiring a piece like Marner you’d need to give up a lot to acquire him like a near Eric Lindros amount.
Agree in general, but Lindros was a rookie on an entry contract, not a player who they have to sign for the second highest salary in the league.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Some very solid pieces being offered here for sure, but it's still not enough to get a guy like Marner.
Oh, I think the value is fair from the Leafs perspective. Marner could be offer sheeted for 4 firsts. The packages proposed here are more valuable than 4 firsts.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Unless Marner has a younger brother who can't play hockey very well that we can draft in the top 10. Then there would be 2 similarities.

I’ll never get over that. If we were going for a Brother Wayne Primeau would have been a better choice lol he at least had a real career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad