Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion (2022 Edition) - Italy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Has there been any news on what's happening with the WC qualifying?
No news yet. My guess is they wait until closer to the date to decide anything. Hoping the fact that the Hammer is outside we still get to go to the game.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Insigne and Criscito will both join Toronto in June

Lorenzo Insigne and Domenico Criscito are both set to join Toronto at the end of this season.

The 30-year-old Italian winger is set to leave Napoli after failing to reach an agreement regarding a contract extension with president Aurelio De Laurentiis, whose highest contract offer was still below his current €5m net per season salary.

As reported by Alfredo Pedulla, Insigne will sign a four-year deal with Toronto with an option for a fifth year, earning €10m net per season plus add-ons. The 35-year-old Criscito will also join the Canadian side, although he wants to wait until June as he’s keen to help Genoa avoid suffering relegation.

Toronto’s entourage will arrive in Italy next week on either January 4 or 5 to iron out the details, meaning Insigne will still finish this Serie A season with Napoli. The 30-year-old Italian winger has scored five goals and provided six assists in 18 appearances this season for the Partenopei.

Reactions: Pinto

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I think the same rules don't apply to outdoor stadiums? although I wouldn't be surprised if they limited capacity to some extent

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Belotti-Insigne at the top would rival a lot of European teams strikers. Unbelievable.

How much do you think Criscito has left in the tank?

Honestly getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

Even at 35 he can still be an effective MLS defender, he’s good on both sides of the ball. I think from what you posted it said it would be a two year deal? I think that’s the right length.

Reactions: LeafChief

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Gio sure is doing a lot of press :laugh:

Part of me wants him back for old time's sake, but logically we can't expect him to be as dominant as he was years ago and I'm not sure how he'd take not being "the guy" this time around, let alone the DP stuff.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Anyone care to throw together what a potential line-up would look like with Insigne/Criscito added to the players we currently have under contract?

What would the starting 11 and bench look like?

Scion

May 25, 2012
Dude - this is amazing. Who do you think the other striker is that's mentioned in that tweet?

I've heard that it's Belotti, and that it will be finalized on the upcoming Italy trip. The rumors are that TFC are interested, but apparently the talks are alot farther along than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafChief

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Anyone care to throw together what a potential line-up would look like with Insigne/Criscito added to the players we currently have under contract?

It's way too early to project a starting lineup. There are still many moving parts regarding potential player acquisitions and current roster players that are rumored to be on the way out.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
The WC qualifying game in Hamilton is going to be close.

As per news today, Ford is ready to announce cancellation of all ticketed events in Ontario (for a minimum of 21 days).

Reactions: robertmac43

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Insgine-Peruzza-Soteldo
Osorio-Pozuelo-Delgado
Lawrence-Mavinga-Criscito-Laryea

Akinola can sub for Peruzza or Bradley for Oso/Delgado.

Soteldo could be gone though, we'll see.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I'm not sure the game can actually be played.

Ford announced cancellation of all ticketed events.

Media is looking for clarification on the wording he used. It's one thing to keep fans out of the arena/stadium, it's another to cancel the event completely.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Do the Belotti rumors have actual legs? I'll talk my company back into purchasing season tickets if that happens. Insigne would be worth the price of admission on his own.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well the hamilton game is outside the 21 day window but I doubt it will be a full capacity event. Probably 50% attendance at best.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Do the Belotti rumors have actual legs? I'll talk my company back into purchasing season tickets if that happens. Insigne would be worth the price of admission on his own.

Yes, yes they do. Ultimately the decision will be based on whether he wants more money or to play in a better league, but the conversations are serious and TFC thinks they have a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad