GDT: Toronto @ Carolina - 6pm SN

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Carolina Hurricanes also coming off a big 7-6 SOL loss to the Washington Capitals, while we are coming off that 3-2 SOL to them just last weekend. So I think there should be some pissy feelings on both sides. Hope we light Freddie up!

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Seems unlikely but leafs still have a chance to catch the bruins for second and home ice. 3 games in hand 8 points back. Not holding my breath or expecting it but it is still in reach.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Seems unlikely but leafs still have a chance to catch the bruins for second and home ice. 3 games in hand 8 points back. Not holding my breath or expecting it but it is still in reach.

Meh, who cares about home ice? It's not gonna make that much of a difference. Leafs weren't even that good on home ice last season. I just want the Leafs playing well going in, I don't care if they catch anyone or not.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Lyubushkin is "probable" to play tonight apparently, so we'll see.

I'd be surprised to see big changes to the lineup while they are doing well. I'd expect Brodie to be back soon though. Only way to get Brodie back to his old self is him playing after hitting the reset button. It worked for Samsonov.
When Brodie does return, hopefully he’s not paired with Rielly. At this stage in his career, he’s more of a bottom pairing dman.

I also really liked Rielly and McCabe together. Prior to acquiring McCabe, I was pushing hard for him mainly to pair with Rielly so I’m glad we finally got to see that. I really liked what I saw as well especially considering it was their first game paired together. McCabe brings the physicality and both are versatile enough to be able to cover one another on either side of the ice. Hopefully we can see more of this pair but with Lyubushkin back, Keefe will probably just slot him next to Rielly.

Reactions: OddyOh

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Meh, who cares about home ice? It's not gonna make that much of a difference. Leafs weren't even that good on home ice last season. I just want the Leafs playing well going in, I don't care if they catch anyone or not.
It isn't about home ice, it's about keeping us somewhat hungry down the stretch. I really don't care either, I just want us to keep playing meaningful games.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
It isn't about home ice, it's about keeping us somewhat hungry down the stretch. I really don't care either, I just want us to keep playing meaningful games.
Exactly this! Gives the players purpose to play and stay hot down the stretch. If there was nothing to play for they would be checked out for the last 10 games and then expect them just to turn on the switch and go.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
With a win we would be 4 points behind Florida with 12 to go, and we still play them twice. How sweet would it be to linger near the top all year then snap up first in the division at the very end, and let Florida and Boston beat the crap out of each other round one. Not entirely crazy but will be tough.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Totally agree. I don’t think having our first round matchup essentially locked in months before the end of the season did our game any favours the last couple years, that’s for sure

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Woll was in Carolina yesterday apparently, getting focussed. Big game for him. It will be interesting to see how he performs with the day to get ready. With 3 Goalies this is a great luxury to have if it works.

After a physical game yesterday you could expect a bit of a slide from the team. Having Woll stone them would be awesome.
And to let Sammy take a couple of days off now to rest. Good feeling

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Matthews had a chance to hit 60 before anyone else has 50 goals. (Hyman has 49).

Matthews hit 50 goals before anyone else had 40 goals (Reinhart had 39).

He is also in 8th place for overall scoring and Nylander is 7th. Both have legit shots at finishing top 5 but it will be tough.

Screenshot_2024-03-24-13-32-21~2.png

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don't dislike Lyub for Timmins for now.

I do think Timmins has more upside, but it's not clear if he would ever reach that level.

The thing that makes him intriguing is RH, puck moving ability (mainly skating), size. He lacks physicality for sure right now. If Ilya can move the puck while adding some physicality I think I give my preference to him for these playoffs.
I think Timmins physical game gets overlooked.

He had a solid hit to end an Edmonton rush at the blue line and he consistently holds plays up who are coming in across the blue line.

He won’t Scott Stevens anyone, but he is very capable of good physical play.

I would like to see more of him, to be honest.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It’s crazy the Leafs are still within striking distance of winning the division.

Also I think Holmberg can be a real player in the top 6, good tools, good IQ, nothing standout but reliable all around

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Win tonight and we're suddenly six back of Boston with two games in hand.

18-6-1 in their last 25 with wins against Winnipeg, Vegas, Rangers, Dallas, Colorado, etc.

Boston is responsible for 1/3 of their regulation losses in that stretch. It sucks that they had such stinkers against the team that mattered the most in the standings because they've played quite well for awhile now.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It sucks that they had such stinkers against the team that mattered the most in the standings because they've played quite well for awhile now.

Not showing up in key games is a repeated phenomena.

This loser .org won’t try a coaching change.

Marner overpay incoming

It’s crazy the Leafs are still within striking distance of winning the division.
Not really

Reactions: Jmo89

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I really like andersen as a player, probably top 5 in the league

saying that, I hope we light his ass up. Give me a 7-2 win where woll steals this, he's been getting his groove back but ultimately is falling short of samsonov, this could be a good step in the right direction

Matthews hitting 60 would be ideal, same for Nylander hitting 40

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad