Pre-Game Talk: Toronto at New Jersey | Saturday 7pm CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
He cannot be considered a complete offensive player when he can't fore-check, cycle, or even take a little physical contact on a drive or in the corner. He's fast, is a great passer, and has a nice shot but nothing else stands out, even stick handling/creativity.

If you approach him with physicality you can take him out of games.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
He is scared. IF we're going to have ONE elite forward on our team, Phil Kessel isn't my top choice.

Wait..? So your saying Kessel wouldn't be your option for elite forward on this team? Who do you put ahead of him? Kadri is too unproven and Lupul gets injured most often and doesn't even attract most attention from D.

deleteme24

Leafs for cup
Sep 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
So tonight all I want is Kostka OUT with either O'byrne or Gards IN.

I would very much like to see Colborne too, in replacement of either Frattin (who needs to get going) or why not bench Grabo? I was thinking he'd be nice in the pressbox.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Wait..? So your saying Kessel wouldn't be your option for elite forward on this team? Who do you put ahead of him? Kadri is too unproven and Lupul gets injured most often and doesn't even attract most attention from D.

I think you mistook me. I meant if I had a choice of forward from around the league, Phil Kessel wouldn't be my choice for the elite forward.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So tonight all I want is Kostka OUT with either O'byrne or Gards IN.

I would very much like to see Colborne too, in replacement of either Frattin (who needs to get going) or why not bench Grabo? I was thinking he'd be nice in the pressbox.

NJ is a trap team, if Jake decides to pinch, I hope someone will be backing him up.

I agree #freeJoeColborne

If Frattin and Colborne are playing against NJ's 4th line, I expect this to be a decided advantage for us, with Orr or Mclaren?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think you mistook me. I meant if I had a choice of forward from around the league, Phil Kessel wouldn't be my choice for the elite forward.

Well that's a very generic statement.

If I had a choice, wouldn't I just pluck Crosby or Malkin from the Penguins and stick him in the Leafs line up?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
O'Byrne was practicing with Gardiner, so we might see that combo.

Would that mean Liles and Kostka are both out or do we roll with 7D?

I think Gunnarsson and Kostka need to sit a game or two.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Well that's a very generic statement.

If I had a choice, wouldn't I just pluck Crosby or Malkin from the Penguins and stick him in the Leafs line up?

Comparable 'elite' forwards. Perry over Kessel. Heck, Ryan over Kessel. Gaborik over Kessel. Nash over Kessel. I'd even take Mike Richards over Kessel. At least he's not scared and he's a proven winner.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Whoops my bad.. Either way I guess your right, even though Kessel is an elite forward in this league.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Comparable 'elite' forwards. Perry over Kessel. Heck, Ryan over Kessel. Gaborik over Kessel. Nash over Kessel. I'd even take Mike Richards over Kessel. At least he's not scared and he's a proven winner.

I'd take kessel over all of them except Perry.

deleteme24

Leafs for cup
Sep 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
O'Byrne was practicing with Gardiner, so we might see that combo.

I'm pretty sure that means they're both out of the lineup.

I'm against it but it wouldn't surprise me. Only Kostka needs to get out of the lineup so it doesn't make sense to pair these two together.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Perry? Yes.
Ryan? Bobby Ryan? No.
Nash? Maybe.
Gaborik? No.
Mike Richards is not an elite forward. He just happened to play on a very offensive team. He's a high end #2C.

Proven winner? He's won on stacked teams...How hard is it to win on Team Canada? or an LA team where he's the 3rd/4th best forward.

Quick, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty etc all were better than Mike Richards.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
When Kessel is skating, and driving to the net he is at his best. No one is expecting him to be Wendel Clark, he does have a tendency to avoid dirty areas. The Kostka giveaway was the result of Kessel not being on the boards to give a dman an outlet on the shoot around, he needs to get grittier, that's what the playoffs are going to be about. Simple gritty plays that make the difference in a game. I think he has it in him, one day he will show up against Boston.
He's a sniper he picks corners from the side and with his speed. He has never been a guy that goes crazy right upfront of his body. He's still learning that aspect, as people in the past learned to do it. You along with 4 others in this place are holding him for a goal that wasn't his fault, still making me laugh.
Kessel is not a goalscorer..people need to stop pigeonholing him into one. He's a complete offensive player whose playmaking abilities are off the charts.

I've no problem if Kessel doesn't score as long as he is in on the play. Him scoring is the same as him setting up JvR to score for me.

You know what's funny? Carlyle has called out almost every player when they have had a bad game, from Kadri to Jvr to gards to frattin, yet people here call out for Kessel regardless lol.

I still laugh when people claimed, and some still do, that Kessel can't producing under carlyle, yet he's 2 points away from a PPG pace. Selanne, Ryan, Sexton, Lupul, and so on. I mean lupul didn't even drive this much as a guy back in the WHL or duck days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad