Proposal: Toronto-Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We've already got both Hackett and Tokarski signed for 1 year each to play in the AHL. Both will be UFA's so that's a no go. It's going to need to be a Ramo/Johnson/Montoya 2 year deal or if we're smart we'll spend a little more for Reimer for a little added insurance.

So extend one of them.. I'm sure either would be happy to get the security of an extra year on a 2-way deal.

When you've got a young goalie with a career high of 40 games, it's crazy to let the expansion draft dictate who his backup is. Reimer would be a fine choice as well, although he will undoubtedly come at a higher cost.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Awful
Jvr alone worth more

Considering what hall just went for, that's debatable. Leafs shed salary, Ducks get a LW and depth scoring they need; leafs get a rhd to round out the group, Ducks get a guy that is versitile and play pp and pk in a pinch in bozie. Anh gets insurance in case gibson has any struggles during the season in bernier; leafs get a 1st that can be added to the existing picks, or packaged to fill another need. Cogs is more appropriate to fill a 3rd line role for the leafs

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
But he still has a $4.1 million cap hit. What he's actually getting paid is totally irrelevant to that.

Not really.

That only applies if the team has concerns over their ability to stay within the cap.

The Ducks are a budget team, and given that Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, and Vatanen are all going to be making more than their cap hits this year, the cap really isn't a concern for Anaheim.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I doubt Johnson will be available for $1.5m after the season he had.

Has there been any clarification on whether guys who would be exempt, can be chosen to be exposed by their teams?

Could also sign / acquire somebody to tandem with Boyle in the AHL.

Even if he costs as much as Bernier, we still don't have to give up anything to get him.

But he still has a $4.1 million cap hit. What he's actually getting paid is totally irrelevant to that.

Actually the opposite is true, real dollars are the biggest concern to the Ducks.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Considering what hall just went for, that's debatable. Leafs shed salary, Ducks get a LW and depth scoring they need; leafs get a rhd to round out the group, Ducks get a guy that is versitile and play pp and pk in a pinch in bozie. Anh gets insurance in case gibson has any struggles during the season in bernier; leafs get a 1st that can be added to the existing picks, or packaged to fill another need. Cogs is more appropriate to fill a 3rd line role for the leafs

Players like Cogliano hold zero value to the leafs who have way too many forwards gunning for the bottom 6 roles.
Despres seems like a 3rd pairing guy which the leafs have plenty of and didn't I see him playing on the left hand side at some point this year too?
Doesn't fit leafs needs so that is why it is a bad trade.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He could quite easily cost more.

I don't see it, and Johnson is only one example. There are multiple goalies I'd look at in that price range who I would look at signing before giving up any sort of pick for Bernier. If there's a market for him right now, it's probably solely comprised of teams looking to send salary back, at least until the free agent market is picked over.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Players like Cogliano hold zero value to the leafs who have way too many forwards gunning for the bottom 6 roles.
Despres seems like a 3rd pairing guy which the leafs have plenty of and didn't I see him playing on the left hand side at some point this year too?
Doesn't fit leafs needs so that is why it is a bad trade.

Again, there is the cap savings that could be used to go get a guy as well. Demers, okposo, heck- even bring back stempniak. Cogs has as many years as bozak and is a cheaper option, jvr arguably holds the value of a mid to late 1st, depres for bernier is meh, the value is bernier's real dollar ammount owed is half his cap after July 1. Fits with anh internal budget.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't see it, and Johnson is only one example. There are multiple goalies I'd look at in that price range who I would look at signing before giving up any sort of pick for Bernier. If there's a market for him right now, it's probably solely comprised of teams looking to send salary back, at least until the free agent market is picked over.

Obviously there is no market for him now -- he still has $4.1m in salary outstanding.

But, once July 1 passes, that obviously becomes a different story.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
So if Bernier does well you'll have a pissed off Gibson and Bernier will just be gone in a year to free agency. If he doesn't do well, it's a waste of a third and he's been a detriment to the team.

This is an interesting deal, but it's still a bit risky for Anaheim. I could definitely see it happening though.

Why would Gibson be pissed? Bernier is a backup goalie at best right now. He is far worse than Andersen, Gibson has a better chance to succeed than ever under than tandem.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lol I'm sure you would. Both these players have zero value unless a team like Arizona needs serviceable number 5 or 6 d man that can help get to cap floor then maybe u get something in return... Toronto has no need for either guy. Bernier is only 1 year away from ufa thought since half his salary is already paid and in Anaheim he might b good insurance since you guys are a definite playoff team, A 3rd would be little risk and could solve you need for a back-up

Eh stoner and bieska are both improvements on your defense

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Obviously there is no market for him now -- he still has $4.1m in salary outstanding.

But, once July 1 passes, that obviously becomes a different story.

I don't think the story changes too much after July 1st. As long as there are still solid veterans available in free agency, I don't see much of a market for Bernier at $2M.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Okay so I stated this thread saying a 3rd to Toronto from Anaheim for Bernier in 2017 or 2018 , so how far was I off??

Johnson9

Sep 1, 2015
Canada
Okay so I stated this thread saying a 3rd to Toronto from Anaheim for Bernier in 2017 or 2018 , so how far was I off??

Good call man haha I'm not too sure on what the details are on the conditional pick. I'm assuming you pretty much nailed it though.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Good call man haha I'm not too sure on what the details are on the conditional pick. I'm assuming you pretty much nailed it though.

Call it a hunch but it was just one of those feelings.. said same about Rychel for Harrington and a 4th was wrong about 4th being a 5th but sometimes hf does work out lol almost wonder if leafs give sparks or bibs a shot or they bring in a back up like enroth on a 1 or 2 year deal and really try and make a push for the playoffs

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

This was a pretty obvious trade. A few of us called this on the Duck board a week or two ago.

Johnson9

Sep 1, 2015
Canada
Call it a hunch but it was just one of those feelings.. said same about Rychel for Harrington and a 4th was wrong about 4th being a 5th but sometimes hf does work out lol almost wonder if leafs give sparks or bibs a shot or they bring in a back up like enroth on a 1 or 2 year deal and really try and make a push for the playoffs

I guess whoever impress' the most at camp will earn the back up role if that's the way management is leaning towards doing it.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
I guess whoever impress' the most at camp will earn the back up role if that's the way management is leaning towards doing it.

I'm okay if they sign a back up like enroth for a year or 2 at 1 or 1.5 mil . think sparks and bibs will be serviceable back Ups in the NHL but still need some time in ahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad