Status
Not open for further replies.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
To Anaheim

Bernier

To Toronto

3rd 2017 or 18

Could be something or could be nothing, but does anyone else have this feeling that these 2 teams are not done dealing? I have this gut feeling from the Andersen trade that some how Bernier was and is involved.. he is owed his 2 mil signing bonus on July 1st and I think that is the reason he was not included in the trade at that moment.

So his cap hit is 4.1 but his real dollars would be only 2.1. this could be the same very reason the leafs keep him but I think they just might be ready to move on from him.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
So if Bernier does well you'll have a pissed off Gibson and Bernier will just be gone in a year to free agency. If he doesn't do well, it's a waste of a third and he's been a detriment to the team.

This is an interesting deal, but it's still a bit risky for Anaheim. I could definitely see it happening though.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Nah, that's OK. We'll give you Stoner/Bieksa though if you want to get rid of Bernier.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Nah, that's OK. We'll give you Stoner/Bieksa though if you want to get rid of Bernier.

Lol I'm sure you would. Both these players have zero value unless a team like Arizona needs serviceable number 5 or 6 d man that can help get to cap floor then maybe u get something in return... Toronto has no need for either guy. Bernier is only 1 year away from ufa thought since half his salary is already paid and in Anaheim he might b good insurance since you guys are a definite playoff team, A 3rd would be little risk and could solve you need for a back-up

willyjones

May 30, 2013
So if Bernier does well you'll have a pissed off Gibson and Bernier will just be gone in a year to free agency. If he doesn't do well, it's a waste of a third and he's been a detriment to the team.

This is an interesting deal, but it's still a bit risky for Anaheim. I could definitely see it happening though.

I see what your saying, but I think it would be worth it for Anaheim. I could be wrong but I think if Bernier gets traded say to Anaheim he must know he's the back up and at worse case scenario the guy finds his game and keeps Gibson on his toes.. can never hurt to have a real solid back-up and if by some chance its an issue he is a ufa at years end.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

We need to bring in a back up for Gibson, I really don't see him being offended if the guy they bring in is a failed starter.

Your chance dump Stoner on us passed with the Andersen deal....

If that's the case, we can save money by signing a vet back up who makes less than Bernier.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol I'm sure you would. Both these players have zero value unless a team like Arizona needs serviceable number 5 or 6 d man that can help get to cap floor then maybe u get something in return... Toronto has no need for either guy. Bernier is only 1 year away from ufa thought since half his salary is already paid and in Anaheim he might b good insurance since you guys are a definite playoff team, A 3rd would be little risk and could solve you need for a back-up

And Bernier doesn't have zero value? He's garbage. Stoner for Bernier isn't far off because Bernier isn't good.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
And Bernier doesn't have zero value? He's garbage. Stoner for Bernier isn't far off because Bernier isn't good.

Bernier only has one year left. Leafs will not to continue to take cap dumps. After this year most of the cap dumps are gone. I don't think Bernier is a cap dump once his 2 mil signing bonuses I paid. Do I think he hold lots of value? No but a 3rd for a serviceable one year guy at 2.1 mil is probably a good gamble to take.

Anyone available in free agency are career back ups. Bernier would be good insurance for Anaheim and is only on a 1 year deal. Not saying Bernier is the savior but if Gibson was out for a number of games Bernier could step in a provide the team with some decent goal tending.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bernier is owe 2.15M in salary after July 1st and is better then an average back up goalie. Leafs don't need to take on a bad contract.

HFBoards being stupid as usual.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Bernier is owe 2.15M in salary after July 1st and is better then an average back up goalie. Leafs don't need to take on a bad contract.

HFBoards being stupid as usual.

How many teams do you think can afford to take on a $4M cap hit for a back up goalie without sending back some cap? The fact that half his salary is paid right now doesn't help anyone who is pressed against the cap. It may be of use to a budget team, but honestly I'd rather sign a guy like Johnson for cheaper than give up an asset for Bernier.

No one's saying he's unmovable, but there won't be much of a market, and those teams would almost surely try to get you to take money back.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Bernier won't work for the Ducks. They are going to have to sign a UFA goalie to a 2 year deal to adhere to the expansion draft rules.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Given the cap hit involved and given his struggles in the past I just don't see this deal working out all that well.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Half might be a bit ambitious, but we could still sign one for less than what Bernier makes without having to give up any sort of asset. Chad Johnson for around 1.5M makes more sense to me.

I doubt Johnson will be available for $1.5m after the season he had.

1st year pro so he will be exempt.

Has there been any clarification on whether guys who would be exempt, can be chosen to be exposed by their teams?

Could also sign / acquire somebody to tandem with Boyle in the AHL.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The Leafs don't need cap room anymore, so there's really no need to move Bernier. If someone wants to offer a decent asset you take it, but I doubt that happens.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Has there been any clarification on whether guys who would be exempt, can be chosen to be exposed by their teams?

Could also sign / acquire somebody to tandem with Boyle in the AHL.

We've already got both Hackett and Tokarski signed for 1 year each to play in the AHL. Both will be UFA's so that's a no go. It's going to need to be a Ramo/Johnson/Montoya 2 year deal or if we're smart we'll spend a little more for Reimer for a little added insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad