Confirmed with Link: (TOR/WSH) Daniel Winnik + (ANH) 5th 16' for Connor Carrick + Brooks Laich + 2nd 16'

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Laich is just such a likeable dude... love all his interviews so far! I remember wanting the leafs to trade for him about 5 years ago and although he's past his prime, I'm glad that he's on our side! :)

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Get rid of Phaneuf (And Elisha Cuthbert), bring in Laich (and Julianne Hough). Solid veteran who will help our kids and PK. Maybe we can flip him at next years deadline with retention.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

hardship is all relative. Take brooks laich, for example. On sunday night, he was traded from the best team in the nhl to the second-worst and likely saw the best chance he’ll ever have at a stanley cup taken away from him. On the other hand, he’s engaged to julianne hough, with whom he was watching the oscars when he learned of the trade. And he’s made more than $31 million playing hockey, with another $4 million to come next season.

Still, it was difficult not to feel badly for laich, who was dealt from an emerging powerhouse in ottawa in 2004 to the doormat washington capitals, only to have the whole thing play out again 12 years later and be a lot more stinging this time. Laich was a glue guy, a hardworking and loyal grunt for a team that underachieved, only to have the team realize that his salary cap hit and role on the fourth line did not mesh at a time when it’s finally primed to live up to its potential. And he was shipped out, mandated to start all over again with a team just as bad as the one he went to in 2004. And just in case he needed to be reminded, he’s scheduled to play his old team when the maple leafs visit washington wednesday night.

“if you just look at the opportunity that was in front of us in washington…i put in 12 years of service there, i was really hoping to chase down a stanley cup and in position very well to do so this year,†laich said after his first game as a maple leaf. “i’m an honest guy and i’d be lying if i said i wasn’t disappointed to not have the ability to see that through. But at the same time, change is part of life. Playing in the national hockey league is a privilege, and i still love the game. I love the game more than ever, and this is just another chapter in my life.â€

and here’s the thing. That was exactly what the maple leafs needed to hear from him. The last thing they needed around this group of players was a veteran guy pining for the good old days and lamenting the loss of his shot at eternal glory. Brooks laich is a farm kid from saskatchewan who does the awe-shucks thing very, very well. He’s a 32-year-old veteran who referred to his coach as “mr. Babcock.†but the thing with laich is that it’s actually genuine.

And even if he never scores a goal or registers an assist for the maple leafs in the 103 games he’s due to play for them over the rest of this season and the next, he’ll be worth every penny of his $4 million salary and his $4.5 million salary cap hit. In fact, with the void in leadership that is in that room at the moment, it wouldn’t be a stretch to suggest that laich should be this team’s next captain. (notwithstanding the leafs signing steven stamkos this summer, something i don’t believe will or should happen. But that’s a rant for another day.)

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton brought plenty of veteran scrubs who they thought they would bring leadership to the room. Dumb article.

If we don't want to be like Edmonton, we should keep adding guys who can play hockey well.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The only scenario I can see in which the Leafs name a captain prior to the 16/17 season is if Stamkos signs in Toronto.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, that makes no sense with Laich. Good guy to keep around as a vet for another season, but Captain....yeah no. A guy I'm not sure will even be a lineup regular next year shouldn't be the Captain of the Leafs. A nice guy, but hockey-wise? Has seen better days.

Still, a deal I like. The value in the pick, the prospect, and for a year a little bit of vet experience is good to have.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
For every Laich there's a Kaberle :)

What was his role on the Caps at the time he was traded? Was he being used like he was in past years or was he getting phased out because of declining play?

Just sort of wondering how I should feel about everyone feeling bad for this guy.

If Lou feels bad he could easily do Laich a favour next trade deadline and send him to the best contender if Laich works hard and makes himself valuable.

It does suck though that he has to go back to face his long time team just a couple days later, seems like he needs a couple weeks to take it in (dude seems on the verge of tears and there's nothing wrong with that, makes me feel bad though)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Its interesting how even though "heart and soul" guys have been getring traded for decades from contending teams, it suddenly becomes a problem amongst the media when it involves the Leafs

FazeLeaf*

Edmonton brought plenty of veteran scrubs who they thought they would bring leadership to the room. Dumb article.

If we don't want to be like Edmonton, we should keep adding guys who can play hockey well.

If we dont want to be like Edmonton, we need to keep guys like JVR and Komarov to insulate the young guys.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
If we dont want to be like Edmonton, we need to keep guys like JVR and Komarov to insulate the young guys.

Honestly I think it has nothing to do with insulation or leadership or any of that soft stuff. Edm did that with Ferrence, Smyth etc.

It has everything to do with implementing a strong system and a culture of meritocracy. Babcock has created a successful system, that is being played at the NHL and AHL levels. Now it's about holding guys accountable. Make them work for ice time and opportunity, don't just give guys roster spots because they are high draft picks.

This is a mistake that EDM made over and over with prospect after prospect. Sure these "old" guys are there to be examples, but their bigger purpose is to place hold and make the kids outwork them for ice time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The only scenario I can see in which the Leafs name a captain prior to the 16/17 season is if Stamkos signs in Toronto.

Most would agree with that.
They aren't going to name Laich Captain, :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad