Confirmed with Link: (TOR/WSH) Daniel Winnik + (ANH) 5th 16' for Connor Carrick + Brooks Laich + 2nd 16'

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What happened to him 2014-2015 season?

He played 34 games in 2013-2014, and then none in 2014-2015?

3 games in December of this season?

Oh, is that the coaching change?

Trotz doesn't like him?

19 year old that made the team out of camp but then turned out to be not ready,

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
sure next year, that's not what the guy said, and Washington would be dumb to do that, Winnik at his contract is better than Laich at half his contract.

I expect Laich to be a deadline trade next year, just not to Washington, and not for Winnik.

He won't be traded for Winnik, but if he has a good year then I'm sure Washington would like him just as much as any other team, if not more.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This is a good trade and becomes even better if Laich plays good hockey from now until next TDL. I'm actually surprised a bit that they would trade Winnik again and this soon. The gift that keeps giving, I'll take that.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Toronto Sun, Daniel Winnik was shocked by the timing of his trade to the Washington Capitals.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/29/winnik-shocked-by-timing-of-leafs-trade

A year ago, Winnik was shipped to the Pittsburgh Penguins. He returned to the Leafs via free agency last summer, signing a two-year contract.

“Last year, I knew in advance I was getting traded,†Winnik said on Monday during a conference call with reporters. “It was a different scenario because I was a pending unrestricted free agent on a team that was out of it.

“This year, signing back with the Leafs, I knew there was a risk, but I would have thought it would have happened in the second year of the contract, not the first one.â€

It won’t take long for Winnik to get re-acquainted with his former teammates. Work visa issues may delay his arrival in Washington until Tuesday night, meaning he would miss the Caps’ home game that night versus the Pittsburgh Penguins. Winnik expected to be in the Washington lineup on Wednesday when the Leafs visit.

Winnik learned at 10:45 Sunday night he was on the move when Leafs general manager Lou Lamoriello called with the news. The word Winnik used to describe his reaction? “Shocked.â€

For Winnik, the hockey mindset switches immediately to helping a club many think will represent the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup final from playing for team that is battling the Edmonton Oilers for last place overall.

“It brings more meaning to the games, that’s for sure,†Winnik said. “It’s nothing against what we have been doing in Toronto, but you have to try to play spoiler when you are not in the playoffs. Coming to a team that is in a pretty cushy playoff position, you want to keep playing better and winning more games so we finish first in East and hopefully win the Presidents’ Trophy as well.

As for what Winnik left behind, he said there was underlying tension in the Leafs room, but he was referring to the “the trade deadline. It was not about anything else.â€

“They have some young guys there who are probably going to have to step up in leadership roles and Naz (Kadri) would be one of those guys, probably Jake (Gardiner) and Morgan (Rielly) as well,†Winnik said. “It might take some time but I think they ar all capable of doing it.â€

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Winnik, he probably loves the leafs. We are working harder for him to get a cup then we did for Sundin or any other players.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This was my favourite trade so far. Even taking on Laich isn't bad, his contract has 1 year left, he may be dealt at 50% by next years deadline and provides much needed leadership to a young locker room.

Carrick will be a solid #4/5 guy, I'm pretty confident in saying that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I speculated that the Leafs and Washington were going to make a deal but I thought it might be Komarov involved to bring back a top pick/prospect.

Dealing Winnik instead for the prospect and pick is the much better outcome as uncle Leo has longer term value to the Leafs.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
This is a good trade and becomes even better if Laich plays good hockey from now until next TDL. I'm actually surprised a bit that they would trade Winnik again and this soon. The gift that keeps giving, I'll take that.

How soon before we can sign Winnik again? Also, how soon can we trade him afterwards??

Just kidding because I gotta give that guy a lotta respect!!! He's really taken a few bullets for this team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It will be so funny if next year TDL, Leafs trade Laich to Caps for Winnik and another draft pick, while retaining 50% of Laich salary.

FazeLeaf*

I feel bad for Winnik. But he basically got us 2 2nds and Carrick.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Winnik is also going to the top team in the NHL right now. Wouldn't feel TOO bad for him. I'm sure if he's interested we can sign him again in 2 years.

Anyone know or have an idea of where Carrick slides in to our defense depth chart (and overall for that matter) ?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Was hoping for an additional 2nd round pick this year. If the Leafs can walk away with Hart and Day with the two second round picks, they would be great picks IMHO.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I'm curious about Laich. He goes from 59 points to Colton Orr ice-time plus penalty-killing. Top six ice-time to 13th among forwards. I know big unfair contracts can influence people's judgements. The Leafs could put him in a top-six role to start and if it didn't work out, no harm, no foul. Think he goes from 4th line forward to perhaps 3rd with the Leafs. Not sure there's a talent drop going from Winnik to Laich. But Laich has opportunities now he didn't in Washington... ...well except getting his name on the Cup.

Caps fan here. When he signed his current contract, Laich was a fantastic 2 way forward, scoring 20+ goals, could play in any situation, wing/center and even played defense a few times. He was a fan favorite. A couple years ago he had a severe groin injury that he has never fully recovered from. He lost all of the power in his skating and just doesn't have the jump you need to be an NHL player. We've been hoping that he would heal and regain his form, but it just isn't happening. Next season will probably be his last season in the NHL, he just isn't an NHL player anymore.

He is a good character / locker room guy so he will be a good veteran for a rebuilding team. He's been doing ok playing 4th line and PK this season, just don't expect any production.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
hi guys, caps fan here.

on the numbers/sheets you guys won this trade, however we needed some cap space and it was worth the price from a caps standpoint imo.

i will say this about Laich, don't expect anything from him but hard work and he's a decent PKer, but he is probably the kindest human being to ever walk in the NHL, fans will love him off the ice. He has been hindered by injuries/age over the past couple of seasons.

Go to Laichs twitter, and click Media on his page, you will see the type of guy he is, he has true class.

Carrick never could make the cut here because we have too many bodies ahead of him, I wouldn't say he's going to be phenomenal or anything but he has the capability to be a NHLer especially if given some actual minutes and a chance to play.

Best of luck to you guys and take care of them for us. We hope Winnik can provide a little extra oomph that Laich wasn't able to. Either way we have some more Cap space to sign important contracts for next season now.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
the fact we got a right handed D with any semblance of skill is a good thing.

next year we have Zaitsev (most likely) who will likely be inserted in the lineup, it will make things easier in the defensive zone.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
the fact we got a right handed D with any semblance of skill is a good thing.

next year we have Zaitsev (most likely) who will likely be inserted in the lineup, it will make things easier in the defensive zone.

oh yeah

Corrado, Carrick, Zaitsev down the right will be fun to watch

Rielly, Hunwick, Harrington down the left

Gardiner gone in trade imo

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCaeBvkgJkp/

12748484_903470853105709_2044614352_n.jpg

brookslaich

Extremely honoured and excited for the opportunity to be a @torontomapleafs and looking forward to sharing my love for the game of hockey with all of you! #newchapter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad