Confirmed Trade: [TOR/VAN] Josh Leivo for Michael Carcone

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
It’s a bit much. Nucks won the trade hands down. Looks even worse now that Ennis is down for a prolonged time. While Dubas did this kid a solid sports is a business and while his trade value was not very high you don’t take another rebuilding teams prospect who can’t get into the lineup. Should have grabbed a pick. Maybe we needed the body of the farm team but seems like a waste.

Hopefully he gains some confidence and becomes a solid Middle 6.

Reactions: Leaf Fans

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
34+ pages on Leivo vs Carcone...can you imagine if Edler or Tanev were ever traded between these teams? Dear lord we would need an entirely new website!
I honestly think a thread should be started for Alex Chiasson....from PTO to scoring 16 goals with the Oilers....

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Leivo is the better player so I guess van "won" the trade.

That being said, he was too far down the depth chart and he needs to be in the top 6 as he is a shooter. I'm glad he got a chance and hope he does well. Good on Dubas for moving him on. For Leaf fans, with Ennis gone for a bit we get to see some of the future and Moore looked great in his first game.

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
It’s a bit much. Nucks won the trade hands down. Looks even worse now that Ennis is down for a prolonged time. While Dubas did this kid a solid sports is a business and while his trade value was not very high you don’t take another rebuilding teams prospect who can’t get into the lineup. Should have grabbed a pick. Maybe we needed the body of the farm team but seems like a waste.

Hopefully he gains some confidence and becomes a solid Middle 6.

While I agree that it would have been nice that the Leafs actually got value for him, I'll reserve judgement on the clear "doing a solid" for Leivo, and its effects on business. It could very well be that making this move helps the Leafs when it comes to future UFA signings, as the players will trust Dubas more knowing that he does business this way. Its the same as the alleged "promise" to not trade Nylander. If he made that promise, and he proves that his word is as good as a NTC, that could lead to some more management/player trust, which could translate to more favourable deals at some point. Pipe dream? Maybe, however I think treating Leivo like a person in this deal was a really good move. It wouldn't surprise me to see European free agents take that into consideration.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Looking. at how well (badly) Nylander has played, the biggest Leivo decision Dubas had was: Not give in the Nylander contact demands and put off the Nylander signing till next summer and keep Leivo this year.
I certainly don't object to Leivo "giveaway", but what should be more concerning to the Leafs is Nylander's poor play and his inflated contract. Not to worry about Nylander next year though. Some team will like his front loaded contract and he will be traded.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Looking. at how well (badly) Nylander has played, the biggest Leivo decision Dubas had was: Not give in the Nylander contact demands and put off the Nylander signing till next summer and keep Leivo this year.
I certainly don't object to Leivo "giveaway", but what should be more concerning to the Leafs is Nylander's poor play and his inflated contract. Not to worry about Nylander next year though. Some team will like his front loaded contract and he will be traded.

The guy had no preseason and is coming into a league where everyone is in form. Give him a bit of time and he will be back to the Nylander of old.

I'm not even a Leafs fan but that Nylander contract was a great signing by Dubas

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is just ridiculously early to judge Nylander. He'll be fine. Everyone should have expected his struggles. You need to separate the contract holdout from his conditioning.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Dubas won a Calder Cup and signed the biggest UFA in over a decade for millions less than being offered. And that was before his team even played a game with him as GM.
We'll take losing a supporting winger who asked to be traded because the coach liked veterans more in return. Not a big deal.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Leivo and Nylander are totally unrelated. Josh is a player that if everything pans out for him he will be a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Nylander is a player that if things don't pan out he will be a 2nd line winger. Leivo never was and never should have been a consideration when it came to Nylander.

Reactions: Menzinger

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The Leivo situation was always strange to me because he never got a chance to really play with higher end players on the Leafs, even though he had solid junior and pro(AHL) careers.

Even though he was a beast along the boards, a terrific possession and smart offensive player, he never got to play with Kessel, Matthews or Tavares.

I think he would have been great with any of those guys because he is what Babcock THINKS Hyman is.

Oh well, just glad he's getting a real shot now.

Reactions: skyo

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Please explain to me what was ironic about the original post I quoted. What I said was that he used it incorrectly.
His point was exactly yours.

The Leafs are still much better than the Canucks even if they gifted them Leivo.

His irony might have been too subtle for some.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
And that point is very true, but not ironic.
And, as I wrote previously, "You really have no idea what irony is, do you ?"

The following is a nice definition: "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect."

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
And, as I wrote previously, "You really have no idea what irony is, do you ?"

The following is a nice definition: "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect."

Wait. So is the fact that Leivo is playing for Vancouver ironic, or is it ironic that he's playing well in Vancouver?

I am not sure it's either. We all knew that VAN was getting the better player in the deal.

Reactions: Leaf Fans

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
The Leafs could never ‘win’ this trade. Are there people who are trying to argue that the canucks won it?

Of course they did. They got a good player. The Leafs handed them a good player

Let’s move on to more important things

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Can’t believe there is this much arguing. Leivo got replaced by Goldobin on the top line. He is a third liner at best so who cares who won the deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad