Pre-Game Talk: TOR @ VAN Jan 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
If the Leafs win and Strickland defends his belt in Toronto tonight I will be a very happy Caveman. But I can see the opposite of both of those outcomes happening.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Crazy to see Laff has 10 goals. It'd be less here, but with all the shake ups in our top 9 he'd be a nice option to have.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We'll give him away for Denis Malgin 2.0 and watch him blossom into a 20 goal forward for another franchise like Verhaghe and Marchment.
It's much worse, because unlike those other guys, Robertson is already an effective NHLer on pace for 20 goals. We're just not playing him for some baffling reason.

Reactions: OddyOh and Buds17

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It’s going to be interesting to see how our forwards will have any trouble getting to the net with Vancouver adding all the size this year on the backend

They finally realized size matters in the playoffs and addressed that need

Over the years here all I've ever heard about Zadorov and Myers is that they're garbage.

Are you saying they are good defenders?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
It's much worse, because unlike those other guys, Robertson is already an effective NHLer on pace for 20 goals. We're just not playing him for some baffling reason.
Outside of his shooting ability he is subpar in every other area. His on ice awareness is lacking and can't be trusted to play in the defensive zone so your claim is a little spurious.

I hope the kid figures it out he's capable of 30 goals with the right usage but I can see why he's the odd man out.

Reactions: ACC1224

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They apparently have a pretty good sense of where he's at. :rolleyes:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
But his lack of physical commitment in a board battle, (just use your weight to stop the cycle ) and puck focus seems to indicate he's always thinking transition without just making sure the dirty work is done. Just pin a guy and stop the cycle.
Lol, I can't believe I'm actually reading this. Matthews is excellent at pinning players to stop cycles, and does it constantly. I really question what some people are watching.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s going to be interesting to see how our forwards will have any trouble getting to the net with Vancouver adding all the size this year on the backend

They finally realized size matters in the playoffs and addressed that need

We already beat them once this season. 5-2 back in November

Reactions: Buds17

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Haven't won in Vancouver since December 2019. Doubt that changes tomorrow

Wow, that's bizarre. I looked on hockey reference, and Leafs have not won a game in Vancouver during the 2021 North Division season either, in 4 tries. I thought they would win a game in Vancouver during that season, that's why your post surprised me.

Reactions: 1specter

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Outside of his shooting ability he is subpar in every other area. His on ice awareness is lacking and can't be trusted to play in the defensive zone so your claim is a little spurious.
He's not subpar in every other area. His shot is obviously his biggest asset (and some people make whole careers off of that), but he's good in most areas offensively and in basic skills. And while he's not amazing defensively yet, that's to be expected as a 22-year old rookie that missed a lot of development time due to covid/injuries, and he's no worse in that regard than a number of players currently in our forward group. We're not going to see him improve that by making him miss even more critical development time when he's healthy and deserving of a spot.

Reactions: Buds17

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
. Getting Matthews and Nylander to stop hanging out in the high slot hoping to flip to offense is a bigger issue but I doubt either changes because their offense got them paid.
AM is getting praise from Leaf fans and the TML centric press for intercepting a few cross ice passes in the high slot yet escapes being called out as the D is constantly out manned in the slot and corners because he won’t come down (like a center should).
Thats coaching

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
no most of the time the leafs get CBC, but lately more games are sportsnet only
Maybe it’s where I live but it’s always Sportsnet in Burlington and Habs on CBC.

Lafferty is a guy you want on the ice in games you’re winning. The problem isn’t scoring, it’s keeping other teams from coming back seemingly at will.
Lafferty type players don’t win games for you but they help keep you from losing them.

Now please share with us what is the teams major issue? (Hint; holding leads is th correct answer)

So that you can keep it that way. Reeves is … a waste of space and he costs more.

But you are correct, Lafferty isn’t the single solution. Getting Matthews and Nylander to stop hanging out in the high slot hoping to flip to offense is a bigger issue but I doubt either changes because their offense got them paid.
AM is getting praise from Leaf fans and the TML centric press for intercepting a few cross ice passes in the high slot yet escapes being called out as the D is constantly out manned in the slot and corners because he won’t come down (like a center should).
Can’t imagine anyone watching this team and thinking “damn, if we only had Lafferty”.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
He's not subpar in every other area.
While I agree with the rest of your post Robertson very clearly has issues with his game. He is easily bodied off the puck and has a penchant for getting blown up by big hits. I'm hoping the guy develops his game and is a regular player for us but he can be a liability some nights. Not sure what you can do when the coach puts you in the doghouse he might have to wait for an injury to get back in. I like him and his shot but I'm not going to hold it against Keefe for not playing him.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Only 6 back of Florida with 2 games in hand. For all the doom and gloom it can change quickly with a little run.
It's why all of the miss the playoffs stuff is funny. If the Leafs win both games this weekend they are near level with Florida, and now that Florida's heater is long gone they look poised to continue their losing streak.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lafferty is a guy you want on the ice in games you’re winning. The problem isn’t scoring, it’s keeping other teams from coming back seemingly at will.
Lafferty type players don’t win games for you but they help keep you from losing them.

Now please share with us what is the teams major issue? (Hint; holding leads is th correct answer)

So that you can keep it that way. Reeves is … a waste of space and he costs more.

But you are correct, Lafferty isn’t the single solution. Getting Matthews and Nylander to stop hanging out in the high slot hoping to flip to offense is a bigger issue but I doubt either changes because their offense got them paid.
Actually, one of the problems is still lack of scoring depth. Going into the season there were concerns at T6 wingers and B6 that haven’t been answered.
And yes a guy like Lafferty could help

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sean Strickland is a national treasure. God I hope he wins tonight. The night he beat Izzy was one of the best nights I've ever had watching fights.
Strickland’s done more for calling out the lunacy state of Canada in the last week than most Canadians have in the last eight years, in my books he’s a honorary Canadian………

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Strickland’s done more for calling out the lunacy state of Canada in the last week than most Canadians have in the last eight years, in my books he’s a honorary Canadian………
I'm sure they'll be looking to name a street after him in south oshawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad