Pre-Game Talk: TOR @ VAN Jan 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Never ever, never ever, start Samsonov again, never ever!
He went through waivers once, doesn't that say something that our #1 goalie is not wanted by any of the 31 teams.
If we put Reaves on waivers no one would take him either. So how do we get to the point that we signed 2 guys in off season that nobody in the league wanted, and paid a premium.
Woll is on the trip. If he is not ready why would you take a guy rehabbing on a this swing trip, or, you expect Jones to play because you think Samsonov will have another meltdown

Woll's not ready and Keefe's not playing Jones back to backs during such a busy stretch of games no matter how much people pout. Get ready for Sammy this weekend.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
They should try something different. They can’t maintain possession so get away from that boring ineffective style.
They also cant take their time moving the puck out. Vancouver is good at gettimg a forward reset in neutral zone allowing a defenceman to sweep up meeting the pass

Play like carolina and puck out fast.. flips glass whatever

Reactions: Nineteen67

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Pretty crazy that Robertson still isn't getting games.

Games in Vancouver are historically rough, but actually have a good feeling about this one.

Should at least be an exciting one.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Pretty crazy that Robertson still isn't getting games.

Games in Vancouver are historically rough, but actually have a good feeling about this one.

Should at least be an exciting one.

We'll give him away for Denis Malgin 2.0 and watch him blossom into a 20 goal forward for another franchise like Verhaghe and Marchment.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not sure what to expect Saturday. Nuckleheads are already upset at the 4pm local start. I would welcome a Leafs 10pm Eastern game once in a while, especially on a Saturday night!

Twitter Roundup for Jan 19:

Early start means they won’t lose their audience to the UFC 297, which will no doubt be far more entertaining, go Strickland……..

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Could have had Lafferty (superior bottom 6 defensive forward for less).
Most of you cheered moving him and many cheered signing Reeves … who is a waste of a roster stall.
Canucks would have the same record today if you removed Lafferty from their team. Lafferty's of the league don't make or break a team.

Lafferty doesn't overcome any of the reasons we threw points away this season.

Reactions: egd27 and ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tochett has the Nucks playing a brand of hockey the team has totally bought into playing, now that’s effective coaching………

Reactions: OddyOh and egd27

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Canucks would have the same record today if you removed Lafferty from their team. Lafferty's of the league don't make or break a team.

Lafferty is a guy you want on the ice in games you’re winning. The problem isn’t scoring, it’s keeping other teams from coming back seemingly at will.
Lafferty type players don’t win games for you but they help keep you from losing them.

Now please share with us what is the teams major issue? (Hint; holding leads is th correct answer)

So that you can keep it that way. Reeves is … a waste of space and he costs more.

But you are correct, Lafferty isn’t the single solution. Getting Matthews and Nylander to stop hanging out in the high slot hoping to flip to offense is a bigger issue but I doubt either changes because their offense got them paid.
AM is getting praise from Leaf fans and the TML centric press for intercepting a few cross ice passes in the high slot yet escapes being called out as the D is constantly out manned in the slot and corners because he won’t come down (like a center should).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

But imagine they kept him and let Kampf walk. I guess I am more disappointed in the Kampf extension but keeping Laff would have salvaged more value out of that Hawks trade. And $1.25M more in cap space.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Matthews could get one more hattrick but i would not underestimate EP.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Early start means they won’t lose their audience to the UFC 297, which will no doubt be far more entertaining, go Strickland……..
Sean Strickland is a national treasure. God I hope he wins tonight. The night he beat Izzy was one of the best nights I've ever had watching fights.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lafferty is a guy you want on the ice in games you’re winning. The problem isn’t scoring, it’s keeping other teams from coming back seemingly at will.
Lafferty type players don’t win games for you but they help keep you from losing them.

Now please share with us what is the teams major issue? (Hint; holding leads is th correct answer)

So that you can keep it that way. Reeves is … a waste of space and he costs more.

But you are correct, Lafferty isn’t the single solution. Getting Matthews and Nylander to stop hanging out in the high slot hoping to flip to offense is a bigger issue but I doubt either changes because their offense got them paid.
AM is getting praise from Leaf fans and the TML centric press for intercepting a few cross ice passes in the high slot yet escapes being called out as the D is constantly out manned in the slot and corners because he won’t come down (like a center should).

The assessment of Lafferty seems a little bit on the flattering side. He's an okay depth piece with speed but I think Tocchet is getting every last drop out of him vs the Leafs who seem to be getting minimal juice out of their mid line up guys Bertuzzi, Jarnkrok, Domi, Robertson, Knies, etc.

Matthews defense can be overrated a bit. He certain is better than a Draisaitl or McDavid and can be very active stripping pucks all over the 200 feet of ice to create turnovers. And he's sometimes incorporated shot blocking into his repertoire. But his lack of physical commitment in a board battle, (just use your weight to stop the cycle ) and puck focus seems to indicate he's always thinking transition without just making sure the dirty work is done. Just pin a guy and stop the cycle. Just wallop a guy kill that cycle momentum, prevent the puck from getting cleanly bumped back to the point, etc.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad