Confirmed with Link: [TOR/TBL] TOR Acquires Brian Boyle For Byron Froese + 2nd Round Pick 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Boyle has 22 points in 58 games this season.

That's a 31 point pace from the 4th line.

Good producer with lower end minutes. Really good in his own end. Plays physical as well.

Fits a lot of checkmarks for this team.

It will really depend on the price and how much he's re-signed for.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I am guessing another player involved. Yzerman called up 2 guys this morning.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Do people actually think the Leafs gave up a 1st for this guy?? Lol!!!!

It'll be a 2nd or 3rd + B prospect

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If acquiring Boyle makes HF crash, heaven help them if the Leafs make a big trade.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Would love to see them taking back a bad contract, lessening the amount needed to get Boyle. I actually love the pick up. Wasn't excited a few months ago when I first heard rumblings...but I have thought it over. Experience, big body. If he can take a face off, then yes please. Leafs need help at center bad. You can see what happens when we lose one. Zero replacement options.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If it's a cheap price then fine but the two serious long-term needs I see are:

1. Shut-down 3rd line centre that can play behind Matthews & Kadri signed beyond this season

2. Top 4 dman

I really want assets to be moving in order to start addressing those other needs. Hoping Boyle paves the way for Bozak to move out for possibly a dman or even JVR because I care more about the long-term than instant gratification.

Babcock has stated multiple times that he sees Nylander as a C long-term. So our #1 need isn't actually a need (Matthews - Nylander - Kadri where Matthews and Kadri will be able to play shut-down roles and Nylander get easy offensive matchups). As for #2 that is a need, but we need to aim a bit higher as we really need a top pairing defenseman (Rielly - XXX, Gardiner - Zaitsev). This likely doesn't happen in a trade and we'll have to settle for a top 4 Dman, but if a top pairing Dman ends up on the market we need to pursue it hard.

I'd imagine we don't sell any big names this year, but after the expansion draft I wouldn't be shocked if we see Bozak, JVR, and/or Komarov dealt for defensive help (either assets for a Dman or in a package for said Dman).

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I do hope we re-sign him, even if I don't like the cost of acquiring him. He's definitely a good player and can be very valuable. He'll help our team defence a lot and really help in end of game situations.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
love it. Brian Boyle is solid. Heart and soul player so know no one can complain about lack of leadership from veterans

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Ok. So Froese (not going to be missed there) and a 2nd.

It's a cost, but definitely upgrades the roster and tells the team they'll give them a hand to keep moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad