Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau (3 years, $6.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
People are actually criticizing this move? Lmao. Obviously overpaid, but this move helps in the short term and won't hurt in the long term. Perfect move.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
So long as both sides are on the same page about him waiving in year 3, the structure of the deal is really smart. He could be traded in year 3 and will only be owed 1M in salary.

Wouldn't say this is a good signing, but the Leafs were at least creative enough to structure the contract in a way that gives them a reasonable out if Marleau plays ball. There was a thread on the main board today talking about how it is unfair that some team's have tax advantages, but this signing right here shows you an advantage that richer teams have. The ability to circumvent the cap via signing bonuses not being recognized as cap.

Don't get me wrong. It's a smart move to do it that way.

I agree. Signing bonsues should count against the team that paid them to prevent this obvious cap circumvention but they don't. I"m sure that the NHL knew teams were going to do this when the rules were written bc it's a pretty obvious loophole.

It's frustrating as a fan of a smaller market team but since those are the rules, I can't blame the Leafs for using them to their advantage. It's annoying that it's usually the large teams (leafs, habs, rangers, etc) who benefit but that's the NHL.

I don't understand why ppl think that there's likely to be a problem in the third year.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
1st questionable signing leafs make in years (hainsey at 3m for 2 years would go quietly almost anywhere else) and everyone comes out in full force lol.

27 goals to a top 5 offense. they arent done yet. gonna be a great couple years in TO

glasses91

Jul 10, 2012
Steelheads!?
This leaf fan is EXCITED.

Wtf is wrong with 3 years?

And 6.2mill who the hell cares about that when our young guns are on entry's?

Leafs make 6.2mill/year on empties...

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Not sure why people are complaining about the term and contract. Leafs are in no way of getting into cap issue within two years. On his third year, he will get paid his bonus and a salary floor team will gladly take on his contract.

So as long as Marleau can maintain how he plays the next two years, the contract is not bad at all.

he has a full NMC?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
He's only half a year younger than Hossa, who just retired. This isn't like the Hawks grabbing a 31 year old Hossa in 2009.

Hossa's didn't retire he's taking the year off because he's itchy.
I could see the same thing happening to Marleau in year three.
😀

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I couldn't care less about them. How is it good for hockey?

It's good for Toronto. In theory, at least. I think adding Marleau is a good addition(to any team). The contract is ugly.

Good for hockey, no. I think it's irrelevant for hockey. Bad contracts existed before. They will exist after. Even if it turns into a good value, or proves it's bad value, this will be true. That isn't going to change.

In terms of competitiveness, if it wasn't Toronto becoming more competitive, it would be another team. Also irrelevant for hockey. Teams rise and fall. Toronto is on an upward trend, though I don't think they are as close to being a Cup contender as some seem to be suggesting. But really, not particularly relevant to hockey. Just to Toronto.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Considering their cap and when their young elite players will need contract renewals , this is a great move. Like I said Toronto has a chance to win the cup sometime in the next 2-3 years. All they need to do is trade an offensive player for a top 4 dman. They are ridiculously stacked upfront they can afford to lose offense for defense. Unbelievable , nice sign! What's a projected lineup look like and who can they move for defense ? Or who is likely to move .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad