Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau (3 years, $6.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not with that Dcore. Good luck with JVR getting you guys any more than a 3rd pairing Dman.

yeah, because a top 10 scoring left winger (4th in pts/60) clearly isnt good enough to return one of the top 120 dmen. smh

edit: good luck with that delayed rebuild and being terrible, but never good enough to get an elite pick. should be 5th-9th or so this year. lots of pain coming

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I did. According to the NHL CBA it only applied to "Long-Term" contracts(6 or more years), signed before the CBA came into affect. Even if that's wrong, the cap recapture on this deal in year 3 would only be 2 million, and that's assuming he's retires instead of just hanging out like everyone seems to be doing. Or playing with the other team..

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

That's the section about cap recapture. This deal was obviously not signed prior to this CBA, and isn't 6 years or longer. I'm not sure about this, just going off what the CBA seems to say.

Owned.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lot of jealousy going around in this thread.

"we're not jealous its a **** contract"

Ok boys and girls. 27 goals last year. Lining up with Matthews. Read em and weep.

I think you're confusing mockery and jealousy. I don't think a single person is jealous about that signing.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
Not sure why people are complaining about the term and contract. Leafs are in no way of getting into cap issue within two years. On his third year, he will get paid his bonus and a salary floor team will gladly take on his contract.

So as long as Marleau can maintain how he plays the next two years, the contract is not bad at all.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Wow Canuck and oiler fans were hungry for a questionable Toronto move. Look at them all come out like wolves.

Fine term, bad cap hit but I trust leafs brass to know what they are doing. Leafs will have three scary lines next year. Will be a fun team to watch.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You do realize that will still hurt the leafs right? Lol

Signing team gets the recapture penalty for a 35+ contract.

Marleau has to play the final year for the leafs not to feel the hurt of that cap hit.

Leafs buy him out, cap hit to leafs.
He retires in a leafs jersey after year 2 leafs get the cap hit.

Leafs trade him for purposes of a buy out. Leafs get the cap hit.
Leafs trade him for him to retire in another jersey. Leafs get the cap hit.

Nope you are mistaken. Recapture doesn't apply to this contract, it's for long term deals mainly signed before the current CBA.

Marleau retiring on a different team wouldn't hurt the Leafs one bit. Similar to Datsyuk and Pronger trades that didn't affect Philly and Detroit.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Hainsey, Komarov will all be expired by that point.

Lots of money to go around.
I get what you are saying but you can't really use bozak, JVR and Leo as an example. They will have to either be re-signed or replaced in which case it will obviously cost the team cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad