Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
You could rather have Chychrun, but the Red Wings moved down 4 spots and probably got the player they wanted AND a second round pick + unloaded a 7.5M cap hit. They didn't want Chychrun either, so that didn't cost them anything.

If #20 turns out better than Chychurn, are you going to argue that Arizona got fleeced for Datsyuk?

At the end of the day, players drop all the time. You're acting like Chychurn was this god that only Arizona knew about. He was passed on 15 times, and Detroit probably didn't want him either (hence, trading down).

Chychurn played better in the NHL than Dennis Cholowski did playing in St. Cloud State Minnesota. So yes, forgive me if I think Arizona might have had good reason for being high on him and using their cap space as leverage to trade up. If taking on the Datsyuk contract enabled them to package up some lesser assets to get the guy they thought was a Top 5-10 pick at number 16, I'd say it was well worth it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My favorite part of this is how a large chunk of Toronto Fans think that if the signing doesn't work out, that someone is going to take Marleau off there hands. Why would anyone do this? The only reason would be if they were to attach assets to Marleau to get him out of town. Not many teams are in the business of helping the Leaf's cap situation, so if he doesn't produce it's going to take something to get him out of town.

Finally some logic injected into the incorrect but seems more like wishful thinking in the assumption that teams will take Marleau off the Leafs hands for free. If he is an ineffective player in his 2nd or 3rd year. Who knows it could happen as soon as next. The Capspace will come at a price. The ones we usually see are picks and or prospects to take back cap space. The signing is bad on many levels if Marleau is no longer an effective player. And giving up assets to free up cap space could come into play.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Because while his caphit remains $6,250,000, Marleau makes $1,250,000 in real money in the 3rd year?

My favourite part is fans of other teams pretending they know the contract details.

Small insignifiant detail of that contract: No Movement Clause...

So are we just gonna pretend a $6.25 cap hit is a very tradeable contract? If he is worth the 6.25 (he won't be) the Leafs wont be trading him, and if he isn't worth it you'll have to give something up for someone to take him off your hands. That's the whole point of a hard cap is to hurt teams for giving out stupid contracts.

You'll be giving up a good prospect to get rid of that contract, that's my prediction.

If it wasn't for that NMC, it would be a very tradeable contract.

Cap hit: 6.25.

Salary: 4.25

Money owed after July 1st 2019: 1.25

The dream of a cap floor team: A saving of $5M in real money if traded after July 1st 2019.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Small insignifiant detail of that contract: No Movement Clause...

If it wasn't for that NMC, it would be a very tradeable contract.

Cap hit: 6.25.

Salary: 4.25

Money owed after July 1st 2019: 1.25

The dream of a cap floor team: A saving of $5M in real money if traded after July 1st 2019.

ehh, i think at this point everybody gets the 3rd year is gonna sting, but it's a bridge that mgmt will cross when they get there. Marleau is in great shape and should really help the Leafs this year, hopefully, the season after that and well the 3rd year will be a surprise haha.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
ehh, i think at this point everybody gets the 3rd year is gonna sting, but it's a bridge that mgmt will cross when they get there. Marleau is in great shape and should really help the Leafs this year, hopefully, the season after that and well the 3rd year will be a surprise haha.

Except for a few Leafs fans... ;)

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

That's very reasonable. Salary crap aside he was still a good player last year and should help your offence, the issue is if he can make it through to year 3 still being a good player. Then you don't have to worry about moving him and your flexibility greatly increases.

My whole point was that if he turns out to be washed up by year 3 then the Sharks aren't magically going to trade for him back :laugh: (I know you didn't say that but you get my drift)

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
No movement clause.....blah blah blah

He will retire a Shark in the third year of his contract and he will get his number retired.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
15 more comments until 3000.

amazing.

Leafs eh? Love em or Hate em!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
That's very reasonable. Salary crap aside he was still a good player last year and should help your offence, the issue is if he can make it through to year 3 still being a good player. Then you don't have to worry about moving him and your flexibility greatly increases.

My whole point was that if he turns out to be washed up by year 3 then the Sharks aren't magically going to trade for him back :laugh: (I know you didn't say that but you get my drift)

in that scenario the leafs send him off to zona/vegas/other team with ample cap space along with a 2nd or prospect (IF they need the space)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Chychurn played better in the NHL than Dennis Cholowski did playing in St. Cloud State Minnesota. So yes, forgive me if I think Arizona might have had good reason for being high on him and using their cap space as leverage to trade up. If taking on the Datsyuk contract enabled them to package up some lesser assets to get the guy they thought was a Top 5-10 pick at number 16, I'd say it was well worth it.

The going rate for 20 to 16 is a 2nd round pick already.

Even if Detroit ****ed up their draft pick like they do all their first rounders minus Larkin Chychrun still projects as a Coburn level player.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I wasn't saying you had ruined your entire franchise I just find it comical that people just assume you can trade him after two years. If he under-performs then I don't see a team helping you out unless you make it worth there while. If he does perform, why even trade him in the first place?

which the leafs will have no problem doing.
they gave up a pair of 3rd rd picks just to hire their GM/Coach.
They put 2 guys who werent producing on Robidas island.

the notion that the leafs can't sign marner/matthews because of this deal is beyond silly. not saying that you are the one making that point but seems like you are hinting at it.

A) Marleau plays well, leafs keep him or trade him for a small return if they need a space
B) Marleau drops off a cliff. They robidas island him or use a 2nd/decent prospect to move his cap. (keep in mind with signing bonuses his salary will be just 1.25Mil during the season)

1.25 mil in salary for a veteran skater who can likely be flipped later and 2nd rd pick is a pretty good deal to a team that is nowhere near the ceiling

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Rofl at the people thinking LouLam and Marleau don't have some sort of gentlemans agreement about that third year, i mean the terms all but tell the story. I know most realize this and have nothing else to do but hate for the sake of it about this deal but some actually really believe the Leafs would get stuck with and not be able to sign the big 3 because of it :laugh: get real.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
This coming seasons prediction. Marleau if on the first line with AM34 and WN29 along with top line pp minutes, misses zero games, 30 goals 26 assists 56 points and most of all he provides extremely important veteran leadership.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Rofl at the people thinking LouLam and Marleau don't have some sort of gentlemans agreement about that third year, i mean the terms all but tell the story. I know most realize this and have nothing else to do but hate for the sake of it about this deal but some actually really believe the Leafs would get stuck with and not be able to sign the big 3 because of it :laugh: get real.

Rofl for you to believe in such fairy tales. Do you honestly think the Leafs would say "Here! We'll give you a 3rd year but you must 'fake' an injury and be on LTIR and we will pay you to sit at home?" Do you think your boss would do that and give you free money? I bet you he plays the 3rd year. I'm not gonna comment about contract issues, but to think such a ridiculous notion will happen is just wishful thinking. :laugh: you get real.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
which the leafs will have no problem doing.
they gave up a pair of 3rd rd picks just to hire their GM/Coach.
They put 2 guys who werent producing on Robidas island.

the notion that the leafs can't sign marner/matthews because of this deal is beyond silly. not saying that you are the one making that point but seems like you are hinting at it.

A) Marleau plays well, leafs keep him or trade him for a small return if they need a space
B) Marleau drops off a cliff. They robidas island him or use a 2nd/decent prospect to move his cap. (keep in mind with signing bonuses his salary will be just 1.25Mil during the season)

1.25 mil in salary for a veteran skater who can likely be flipped later and 2nd rd pick is a pretty good deal to a team that is nowhere near the ceiling

And signed 1 more to his island in Hainsey. :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I hope they don't have a gentleman's agreement he's going to retire or go on LTIR. As the NHL would view that as circumvention--signing a contract that both parties know is not going to be fulfilled.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I hope they don't have a gentleman's agreement he's going to retire or go on LTIR. As the NHL would view that as circumvention--signing a contract that both parties know is not going to be fulfilled.

Exactly. It's not good business sense to do this. I'm sure the Leafs Owners don't want to just keep piling on players and paying them money just to sit. But what am I saying? Lou is the master at circumventing. I guess we will see how this all plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad