Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
He played with one of the best assist men in recent memory in Thornton and that is not going to be the case in Toronto. I would love for him to succeed but i don't see it.

He did on the power play. Last season, for the first time in years, he was moved on the top line with Jumbo bc no one else was working there. And he helped jump start that line. So, last season, he did play some with Jumbo (and Pavs) on the top line. But then he was moved (probably bc Hertl got injured).

His role on the Sharks was as a utility guy: he took over for Couture two seasons ago when they made it to the finals. He played center a good deal of that season, including in the playoffs. No one was centering him: he was centering them. (Not Joe, obviously). He gets moved around the line-up wherever they need someone bc he's really, really good at that.

He plays with Joe on the power play but, except for that stretch last season where he was moved to the top line bc they weren't producing (or even playing well) and where he jump-started that line, he does not play with Joe at even strength. He hasn't for years.

The other thing is that ppl who don't watch the Sharks don't know: Joe is not great with left wingers. It's the right wingers who greatly benefit from playing with Joe. On the Sharks, that's Pavelski. (But last season, Thornton was off and Pavs probably benefited more from Burns than Thornton.)

Last edited:

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The contract works on the Leafs, they have a window that they can easily afford it, he makes the team better, money doesn't matter.

I don't care how old he is. I don't care how much he is getting paid. If he can still play and it doesn't effect other signings (which it won't) that's all that matters.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Question to everyone, do people really think that a management group consisting of Shanahan/Lou/Dubas have no clue about how the cap works? I am very confident that they know exactly how the cap is going to go with this signing.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Question to everyone, do people really think that a management group consisting of Shanahan/Lou/Dubas have no clue about how the cap works? I am very confident that they know exactly how the cap is going to go with this signing.

Lou has a history with bad cap decisions so that's not really a selling point.

But I don't think they pay Brandon Pridham to ignore all his projections and counsel.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

If that group would have just listened to all the HF boards geniuses. Many of them are even fortune tellers to know what the cap,team situation and what the contracts of every player will be in 3 years from now. :laugh:

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I view this signing kinda like the Kulikov one. Too much money, but fills a need and 3 years isn't going to hurt in the long run.
Edit: It also makes me feel a little better about Kulikov

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I think this is a great signing for the Leafs. I think having a veteran player of this magnitude will prove to be a great move. Most Canuck fans and Ryan Keller himself felt that signing Sundin was one of the best moves for our up and coming team.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I view this signing kinda like the Kulikov one. Too much money, but fills a need and 3 years isn't going to hurt in the long run.
Edit: It also makes me feel a little better about Kulikov

Agree. I'm a huge Marleau fan but it's waaaay too much money. I don't think his production will justify that. But this contract wasn't about production. Ppl who are analyzing it from that perspective are missing the point of the signing.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm a Leafs fan and I think it's a bad contract. The 3rd year sucks. But he's probably back in SJ if they hold at 2 years and obviously Babs wanted his guy.

I don't blame folks for thinking it's bad. But as usual, the hyperbole around it is ridiculous. It's not going to cost them any core players. It's not near one of the worst contracts in the league. It's just your standard bad July deal. Like many signed over the past few days.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Presumably, he'll be expected to retire with a skin allergy after he gets his summer bonus... but before he takes up $6.25M on the cap in his last season?

Yeah, and they'll move his contract to a floor team like the Wings did with Datsyuk if need be. It's structured in a way that it could appeal to cash strapped teams.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm a Leafs fan and I think it's a bad contract. The 3rd year sucks. But he's probably back in SJ if they hold at 2 years and obviously Babs wanted his guy.

I don't blame folks for thinking it's bad. But as usual, the hyperbole around it is ridiculous. It's not going to cost them any core players. It's not near one of the worst contracts in the league. It's just your standard bad July deal. Like many signed over the past few days.

Thread should be closed after this post....it's bang on.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
But guys! This is Patrick FREAKING Marleau! He's a Hall of Famer in the making! He is chasing a cup now!

Oh the irony if San Jose wins the Cup next year :laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If Marleau is treated well and has success for his tenure, I fully expect this signing to open the door for a lot of future UFA interest, which is a great way for a team with an excellent core to fill gaps.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Regarding Micah, note that he's a Sens fan so he's going to show a slight bias via that. Might be more useful to see Marleau's competition across the ice, his usage by De Boer (doghouse and so on) and et caetera.

Again, this is a good signing for Toronto, if only because it pushes down Hyman and perhaps gives them an excellent mentor as well. I mean, how many consistent point producers take a shave in salary at any point in their careers? Also, isn't it a bit of a warning sign to the rest of the Atlantic that players now want to join the Maple Leafs?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Lou has a history with bad cap decisions so that's not really a selling point.

But I don't think they pay Brandon Pridham to ignore all his projections and counsel.

Agreed. Our cap is fine. A little on Brandon Pridham for those from other teams who don't know who he is.

Quoted from the below linked article from the time of his hire.

"In his final year with the league, Pridham was the senior adviser of central scouting, which gives him a solid knowledge of young players on the rise, as well as senior director of the central registry  the top cop, if you will, when it came to the salary cap, collective bargaining, the waiver process and trade calls. He was one of a handful of people who advised teams about what’s allowed cap-wise  how long-term injured time and bonus money are counted  and monitored trades to make sure both teams fully understood the financial impact."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...expert_brandon_pridham_trades_dream_jobs.html

He knows how to work every angle of the cap and you can bet he gave the green light cap wise to the Marleau deal.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If Marleau is treated well and has success for his tenure, I fully expect this signing to open the door for a lot of future UFA interest, which is a great way for a team with an excellent core to fill gaps.

I actually had this as an initial thought too.
Treat him right, but an A on his chest, play him in success roles in our top 6/PP. Ease him into retirement in year 3.

Year 1: 1st line with Matthews
Year 2: 2nd line with Nylander
Year 3: 3rd line

UFA interest will look good, and players like Matthews/Nylander/Marner become more appealing guys for vets to play with.

4uston M4tthews

Nov 15, 2010
Its a lot of money but it doesnt matter so who cares?

Its not like we spent 10.5 on a goalie for 8 years. We already have our core talent. We have blue chip D coming up and space to find more.

When the dust clears were like 3 million under cap at the start of the season with a lot of trade pieces.

Not to mention Ill bet my hat Marleau waives 3rd year to go back to SJ to retire.

Leafs are in a good place, hate if you want but you only show your hockey illiteracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad