Confirmed Trade: [TOR/OTT] Matt Murray (25% retained), 2023 3rd round pick, 2024 7th round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
This season is playing out like a repeat of last season for Toronto.
A) A goalie gets injured
B) Leaves 1 decent goalie and minor leaguers.
C) Piss poor coach will overplay the decent goalie who isn’t used to it.
D) Decent goalie will burn out after 6-8 weeks and become trash.
E) Fans/Mgmt. will blame him. Demand a new goalie next year.

Rinse and repeat

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Leaf fans are defending Dubas now, but if he’s canned at the end of the season, it will be character assassination and “I knew he wasn’t the guy” just like with Mike Babcock, the “best coach in the league” until he wasn’t.

It’s the Leafs fan delusion switcheroo.

Just like now the plan was always that Samsonov would start more games than Murray, and Murray was just a high risk trial, not plan A.

Reactions: dukeofjive

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
goaltending is regressing because the cost to parents. not only more expensive in terms of equipment and getting worse but also parents need vehicles... on top of the decreasing popularity of the sport relative to other simple sports like baseball, soccer and basketball.

plus with the NHL expanding, it's spreading that decreasing talent pool too thin.

I know a solid competitive goalie in his teens who is not selected for the higher leagues because he’s not very big.

It’s funny that the selection pressure for size for position players has gone down but for goalies it has gone up.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
With the cap going up, 5 x 5 isn't that bad. Its far better than 4.7M x 2 for an unreliable injury prone goaltender who's been trending downward the past 4 years. Duba shat the bed on trading for Murray.
keep in mind the info of the cap going up came long after Free Agency, and even still Campbell is like a 1a/1b type guy is that really worth 5x5?
Edmonton seems happy with him and thats all that matters. I could give 2 shits if he stayed or not.
with our luck we will miss the playoffs but win Bedard

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I know a solid competitive goalie in his teens who is not selected for the higher leagues because he’s not very big.

It’s funny that the selection pressure for size for position players has gone down but for goalies it has gone up.
I think thats why we will see a lot more goalies that are Saros' size come from Europe than Canada these days. The dwindling numbers still Dwarf most Euro nations in registration so the smaller but insanely skilled goalies have more of a chance to show what they have in higher leagues than here, where being 6'0 at 15 is gonna be a massive boom to your opportunities.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Jokes aside, I think Murray needs to start considering retirement.

These constant injuries can't be good for his long term health. He's already won 2 cups and made millions.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Based on these criteria, he's also more successful than you.

Weird take from you on you.
No shit. It shows the reality of "Hes not very good" vs "He's so dumb".

He is smarter than most people on these boards at his profession than they are at theirs. He's smarter at his profession than everybody on these boards that wasnt at the same level in that profession. It's not a difficult line to follow, f***in guys successful as f*** even in his failures and people like you and I will never touch that level of success.
At least, you're honest about your expected future...
Whats our expected future, habs fan? Whats yours?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
This season is playing out like a repeat of last season for Toronto.
A) A goalie gets injured
B) Leaves 1 decent goalie and minor leaguers.
C) Piss poor coach will overplay the decent goalie who isn’t used to it.
D) Decent goalie will burn out after 6-8 weeks and become trash.
E) Fans/Mgmt. will blame him. Demand a new goalie next year.

Rinse and repeat

If they have one decent goalie how is it the coach's fault for overplaying him? It ain't like he has other options does he?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
He is smarter than most people on these boards at his profession than they are at theirs.

That claim is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. First, you have no idea how good people here are at their profession so you cannot make such a moronic claim. Second, I guarantee there are people here better at their profession than he is at his.

He's smarter at his profession than everybody on these boards that wasnt at the same level in that profession.

This is too dumb for words.

It's not a difficult line to follow, f***in guys successful as f*** even in his failures and people like you and I will never touch that level of success.

Um, you know JFJ was an NHL GM too right?

Do you really need that explained?

No apparently you do. If they only have one, the coach has no choice but to play him. If they have more than one then yeah, he can rest the guy.

Reactions: dukeofjive

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Made easy work of the Sens tonight. Almost as if Dubas actually through the whole "what if he gets injured" scenario

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016

It's not like I said the guy is the next Ken Dryden or the guy to take us to the promise land but I'm not panicking in week 1 of the season. He was good enough tonight to beat your team, so I'm happy.

Again, I'm not saying he's the answer but he's not a terrible back up plan for if Murray can't deliver. Would I want a better goalie? Sure, but I'm not in control of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese