Confirmed Trade: [TOR/OTT] Matt Murray (25% retained), 2023 3rd round pick, 2024 7th round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
All the summer of supporting this move and telling others on Leafs forum that this was a great trade blew in your face buddy

I still can’t believe Dubas trades for Matt freaking Murray in the final year of his GM contract. A bad goalie with a history of injuries… and that’s your saviour?! Thank you so much Toronto ;)

Lmfao Murray is made of glass.

This move by Dubas was downright dumbfounding. Why gamble on a bad goalie who gets hurt all of the time to be their starter?

Dubas is an absolute moron.
Dubas essentially replaced Mrazek with Murray. Seems like a good deal to me. If Murray is on LTIR, great we will use his Cap to call up some guys and we don't have to worry about playing short. Samsonov seems just fine so far, and Dubas can always make a trade for a goalie if need be.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Dubas essentially replaced Mrazek with Murray. Seems like a good deal to me. If Murray is on LTIR, great we will use his Cap to call up some guys and we don't have to worry about playing short. Samsonov seems just fine so far, and Dubas can always make a trade for a goalie if need be.
Thats so much copium. I thought leafs didn't have any cap problem; they need to LTIR their goalie just to "call up guys" and not play short.

Reactions: dukeofjive

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You are all freaking out like we don't have Samsonov who is what 53-22 in his career. I hate Dubas as much as anyone, but he did have a back up plan for when this happened.

I just sort of assumed Samsonov was gonna get more games. Will he be good enough? I can't answer that, but we're not screwed yet.

Your back up plan is a goalie who didn’t get qualified.

#genius

I can’t understand how a Gm with zero success can be that loved.

Reactions: dukeofjive

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Most Leafs fans pilloried this move when it happened.

And spent the next few months talking themselves into thinking it was a good move.

Obviously you don't win or lose a season at Game 3 of the regular season, but it's got to be deflating that the risk associated with Matt Murray was so quickly realized.

It's not a risk that will go away even after he returns.

For some teams, it's not as big a deal - guys get hurt all the time - but for a team that absolutely has to 100% make waves in the post-season this year, it's a blow.

You can win in the playoffs without franchise goaltending, but you can't win in the playoffs without decent goaltending. That question mark still looms very large, larger now.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Oof that was the injury that Hasek got at the Olympics, probably Senators best team, team begged him to play in the playoffs, he was the best guy in practice.

In your best Hasek voice:……. not 100%

Hopefully Murray comes back sooner.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Maybe he finds the next Mrazek?

Leafs fans are amazing.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
And spent the next few months talking themselves into thinking it was a good move.

Obviously you don't win or lose a season at Game 3 of the regular season, but it's got to be deflating that the risk associated with Matt Murray was so quickly realized.

It's not a risk that will go away even after he returns.

For some teams, it's not as big a deal - guys get hurt all the time - but for a team that absolutely has to 100% make waves in the post-season this year, it's a blow.

You can win in the playoffs without franchise goaltending, but you can't win in the playoffs without decent goaltending. That question mark still looms very large, larger now.

Sure. What are fans supposed to do, though, burn their sweaters?

There has been a lot of criticism directed at Kyle Dubas by Maple Leaf fans, and if I were to describe the thoughts of many toward Matt Murray going into this season, even the optimistic ones, I would describe it as trepidation and crossing our fingers. But we get no say in who in the GM signs; we're just along for the ride. I expect there will be consequences if we get bounced in the first round again this year, deservedly so.

To address your other points, I agree with them all (as I often do): it's deflating, yes. Not unexpected, but disappointing.

But I've had a lot of experience with those feelings being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan over the years. Nothing we as fans can really do about it. We're just along for the ride, and the ride isn't much fun if you can't suspend your doubts from time to time and hope for a little luck.

Reactions: NyQuil

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I still can’t believe Dubas trades for Matt freaking Murray in the final year of his GM contract. A bad goalie with a history of injuries… and that’s your saviour?! Thank you so much Toronto ;)
It also goes to show there just wasn't many good options available in the offseason.

Reactions: HofT

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Yeah, that was also a big issue.

It feels like there's less goaltending talent around the league, generally, unless I'm just remembering the past with rose coloured glasses.

goaltending is regressing because the cost to parents. not only more expensive in terms of equipment and getting worse but also parents need vehicles... on top of the decreasing popularity of the sport relative to other simple sports like baseball, soccer and basketball.

plus with the NHL expanding, it's spreading that decreasing talent pool too thin.

Reactions: HofT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad