Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Pierre Engvall traded to NYI in exchange for a 2024 3rd Round Pick

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I don't think it's a case of work ethic around you.

Last year he was on a line with Kampf and Mikhayev and those guys work their bag off. He basically couldn't give even 1 goal in the Tampa series and really p***yed out once Nick Paul confronted him.

He teased at times again this year with the size/speed combo he has, plus a very heavy shot but there were a lot of games he was just a no-show entirely.

He's not a bad player but you just need to be careful on the dollars you're willing to commit to him. I have no ill will towards him, or Sandin, I hope they enjoy their new homes, I just hope Toronto is able to land something nice with the picks lol.
What happened between this guy named Nick Paul and Engvall?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What happened between this guy named Nick Paul and Engvall?

There was scrums etc vs Tampa last year and basically things got chippy and Paul was just saying you're not gonna do anything, you're scared etc, things to that effect.

No YouTube video I don't believe but the clips circulated on Twitter a bunch at the time, I didn't like the look.

Engvall just took it basically.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Kessel is fat and eats hot dogs haha. Then it was Kessel 2 time cup champ, omg why did the Leafs trade him

Kadri is a playoff liability. Omg Leafs so stupid why they trade an elite C for Barrie ?

Now it's these 2
i don't think anybody thought Kessel was a bad player, just that he was miscast and misused. As soon as he was on a team where he wasn't expected to be the saviour, he did fine.

Kadri was fine while he had Komarov riding shotgun and doing the agitating, but when Leo was taken away, Naz tried to do too much. Again, put in a team where he was properly used, and he was fine.

Will Engvall and Sandin be the same? It's possible, but too early to tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICBM

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Shit happens, sometimes players perform better on other teams because the environment on the new team suits that player. reality is Engvall and Sandin were never goign to fit into the Leafs and were never going to get the opportunities on the Leafs they are getting on lesser teams. Time to stop being that neighbor who is always looking over the fence.
True, but it does raise the question of whether there was some mismanagement, particularly with Sandin.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
What team in the NHL wants Alex Kerfoot at his salary? General Managers for NHL teams are "experts" at managing the salary cap and building hockey teams. This is the definition of their jobs.

We as fans can obviously see the Kerfoot is a pretty bad player who is vastly overpaid.. I think you would be hard pressed to find an NHL GM who would disagree, so why would anyone assume we could get anything good for him in a trade?

Engvall is a better player than kerfoot (or at least has more upside), hence he was able to be moved.
All things Kerfoot will forever be biggest mistake of Dubas' Leafs tenure.
I guess you missed all the trades at the trade deadline with horrible contracts moving etc. No contract is untradable, the league will always have bottom-feeding teams that will look to take on cap and players for picks/prospects. This idea that you can't trade Kerfoot is very exhausting. Didn't everyone say the same thing about Mrazek?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
i don't think anybody thought Kessel was a bad player, just that he was miscast and misused. As soon as he was on a team where he wasn't expected to be the saviour, he did fine.

Kadri was fine while he had Komarov riding shotgun and doing the agitating, but when Leo was taken away, Naz tried to do too much. Again, put in a team where he was properly used, and he was fine.

Sandin? Big maybe. Engvall? Literally no chance dude looks like he has no drive on the ice.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Kadri got suspended in the playoffs for Colorado and Colorado fans wanted him gone the offseason before his big year. I like the guy but the narrative around him is driven by one outlier year where he put up 30 points on the PP on a team that draws the most penalties in the league.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That trade never made sense. I still don't get it. He's a promising young top 4 D that competes hard, is physical and can move the puck. Pretty upset about it.

Couldn't give less of a shit about the Engvall trade, he had enough chances and did nothing with them, soft as butter.

Kessel is fat and eats hot dogs haha. Then it was Kessel 2 time cup champ, omg why did the Leafs trade him

Kadri is a playoff liability. Omg Leafs so stupid why they trade an elite C for Barrie ?

Now it's these 2
Generally a true statement for people in this forum.
I never lamented a trade except for Kadri. Honestly felt that the team took a step backwards.
Pretty easy to demonstrate this with a forum search.
I mince no words when it comes to Engvall. I gave him a chance but he refused to find a skill that would make him stick.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
True, but it does raise the question of whether there was some mismanagement, particularly with Sandin.

Sandin was and is a horrible defender, he gives up as much as he gets, last two games minus five, zero points. Two games before that plus five, three points. He's playing a lot because the Caps have no other options, he's getting a lot of points because he is playing a lot. For him to get the same production here he would have had to take minutes away from someone. He didn't earn his minutes in Toronto, due to injuries and lack of options he's been given minutes he didn't earn in Wash. Now that the post trade bump is wearing off, he is regressing to that defensivly soft and suspect player that he was here. I don't regret that trade one little bit.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Sandin showed the makings of a Prima Donna, complaining about usage and ice time, and refusing to sign the same contract as Lilly.
If he was this much trouble now, imagine dealing with him at the end of next year when his contract comes up.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sandin was and is a horrible defender, he gives up as much as he gets, last two games minus five, zero points. Two games before that plus five, three points. He's playing a lot because the Caps have no other options, he's getting a lot of points because he is playing a lot. For him to get the same production here he would have had to take minutes away from someone. He didn't earn his minutes in Toronto, due to injuries and lack of options he's been given minutes he didn't earn in Wash. Now that the post trade bump is wearing off, he is regressing to that defensivly soft and suspect player that he was here. I don't regret that trade one little bit.
Small sample size. First three games 5 points, +3: last two games 1 point, -3.

He even on a bad team that is -7 over those five games, and has given up more goals 5on5 than they have scored.

And for someone who is used to playing under 18 minutes a game, maybe suddenly playing over 25½ is showing?

I still think it's too early to say definitively.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder what those little red squares would look like next to the big three’s ( Nylander, Marner, Matthews) first playoff appearances then cross reference them to their contracted salaries and what their designated roles were on the Leafs. You give any player the opportunity to score and their numbers will improve. Wasn’t Engvall some 3rd line scrub or was given the opportunities these guys had? In other words it’s disingenuous to compare the goals output from first and second line players who get the prime scoring opportunities like power plays and then compare them to a third liner who plays a defensive role. Those top three averaged 3-4 points each playoff round same as Engvall his first real opportunity in the playoffs. If you have to point fingers it would seem fair to point them at those highly paid players not some scrub on the 3rd line.

Does Engvall really deserve to be the fall guy for all the Leafs post season woes? Does he deserve that shit? Just being real here.

The real problem is that those 3 highly paid players disappear come playoff time. That’s always been the problem. Don’t blame Engvall of all people. I hate reading shit like that.
Never put the entire onus on Pierre. The question was raised why we kept Kerf over Pierre and I eluded to the fact that he had not scored a single goal in 17 career playoff games. It tells a story. But it does not suggest that it is the entire story of why or how we have lost in the playoffs. I have always said it is because our big boys fail to rise to the occasion when the noose gets tighter. That said, Pierre needed to do much more in every one of those series, and he failed to do so. Nothing wrong with pointing out the facts.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I wonder what those little red squares would look like next to the big three’s ( Nylander, Marner, Matthews) first playoff appearances then cross reference them to their contracted salaries and what their designated roles were on the Leafs. You give any player the opportunity to score and their numbers will improve. Wasn’t Engvall some 3rd line scrub or was given the opportunities these guys had? In other words it’s disingenuous to compare the goals output from first and second line players who get the prime scoring opportunities like power plays and then compare them to a third liner who plays a defensive role. Those top three averaged 3-4 points each playoff round same as Engvall his first real opportunity in the playoffs. If you have to point fingers it would seem fair to point them at those highly paid players not some scrub on the 3rd line.

Does Engvall really deserve to be the fall guy for all the Leafs post season woes? Does he deserve that shit? Just being real here.

The real problem is that those 3 highly paid players disappear come playoff time. That’s always been the problem. Don’t blame Engvall of all people. I hate reading shit like that.
Clearly you haven't been here very long if you believe that Engvall is the fall guy 😂

Every single Leaf has faced a mountain of criticism about it. If someone points out the fact that Engvall was likely moved due to the fact that he fades away come playoff time, it's just an acknowledgement that he wasn't one of the pieces needed for a deep playoff run.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Love these NYI fans creaming their sweatpants cause Engvall is the shiny new toy. I'll love to check back on them when he inevitably becomes their whipping boy.

Reactions: torontoblood

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I was dreading coming into this thread thinking people would be regretting the trade because giraffe is scoring on the Island. He's been getting top 6 minutes after being benched vs. the Pens and he's always had a good shot. So glad he won't be on our playoff roster.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Kadri got suspended in the playoffs for Colorado and Colorado fans wanted him gone the offseason before his big year. I like the guy but the narrative around him is driven by one outlier year where he put up 30 points on the PP on a team that draws the most penalties in the league.
He almost got kicked out again that year.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

This is the definition of revisionist history.

I had dozens of arguments with a large number of people regarding this exact thing.

Many people here were adamant that Phil was not only a locker room cancer, but that he was one of the worst players in the league.

If you can dig through my posts circa 2012, you will see exactly what I mean.

Phil was the lone bright light on that team for 6 years and he was always dragged through the dirt by our pathetic fanbase. People who are too stupid to see what is right in front of them.

Those same people were outraged by "salutegate", and were too dim to figure out that the fans here barely deserve to be acknowledged, let alone thanked, because of the vitriol they spew against the players.
Phil and Dion did not owe them anything but disdain.
And yet, after all that shit, Phil brought the cup to Sick Kids, essentially spitting in the faces of those morons.

Pierre Engvall was not Phil Kessel.
His problem was not a lack of team success and the stigma of a 2nd overall + 9th overall draft pick (one the player is completely irresponsible for).

No, Engvall's problems stem from his being a giant and playing like a midget.

The day he realizes that size and strength are advantageous to his success, he will have it.

Until today, he hasn't figured that out yet, and sadly it's unlikely he ever will.

This team had too many of the same player - speed with some skill and no push back.

Personally I would have kept Engvall and dealt Kerfoot, but tomato tomato on those 2.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Accomplishments aside, Kessel was also kicked out of Pittsburgh. Malkin, I remember, wanted him gone. He's a different sort of character with a lot of hockey talent. He's not a leadership type. He's also not a deferential type either.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Intentionally snubbing the vast majority of paying customers who haven't booed you or derided you because there may be a smattering of boo-birds amongst them (who may or may not even be Leafs' fans) isn't a righteous position.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This is the definition of revisionist history.

I had dozens of arguments with a large number of people regarding this exact thing.

Many people here were adamant that Phil was not only a locker room cancer, but that he was one of the worst players in the league.

If you can dig through my posts circa 2012, you will see exactly what I mean.

Phil was the lone bright light on that team for 6 years and he was always dragged through the dirt by our pathetic fanbase. People who are too stupid to see what is right in front of them.

Those same people were outraged by "salutegate", and were too dim to figure out that the fans here barely deserve to be acknowledged, let alone thanked, because of the vitriol they spew against the players.
Phil and Dion did not owe them anything but disdain.
And yet, after all that shit, Phil brought the cup to Sick Kids, essentially spitting in the faces of those morons.

Pierre Engvall was not Phil Kessel.
His problem was not a lack of team success and the stigma of a 2nd overall + 9th overall draft pick (one the player is completely irresponsible for).

No, Engvall's problems stem from his being a giant and playing like a midget.

The day he realizes that size and strength are advantageous to his success, he will have it.

Until today, he hasn't figured that out yet, and sadly it's unlikely he ever will.

This team had too many of the same player - speed with some skill and no push back.

Personally I would have kept Engvall and dealt Kerfoot, but tomato tomato on those 2.
Admittedly I was frequenting different boards at that time - maybe those posters and my friends were just smarter. :sarcasm:

There were certainly people who didn't like him or the way he played (or was used), but I don't recall anyone who didn't acknowledge the actual talent.

I wasn't comparing Engvall to Kessel, beyond the suggestion that he may have been misused/miscast/miscoached here, and that he might do better, as Kessel did, in a different environment.

But as I said, it's way too early to tell.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So Keefe coaches Engvall for, what, 5 years (including the Marlies) and either can't get the guy to throw a hit or doesn't even try?

Pierre's traded to another team and almost overnight he's throwing hits like an NFL linebacker.

What an embarrassing indictment of Keefe as a coach.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
So Keefe coaches Engvall for, what, 5 years (including the Marlies) and either can't get the guy to throw a hit or doesn't even try?

Pierre's traded to another team and almost overnight he's throwing hits like an NFL linebacker.

What an embarrassing indictment of Keefe as a coach.
Or Engvalls character. He needs to be told to throw a bodycheck? Clesrly Pierre knows that comfortable, Easy.Street is over. He may not be in the league for much loinger if he doesn't smarten up.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3