Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Pierre Engvall traded to NYI in exchange for a 2024 3rd Round Pick

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
We now have fans from other teams coming to the Leafs board to boast about their third line forward acquisition after he played 3 good games. Especially hilarious because he was benched the entire third period in the game prior to this stretch, if you can even call it that.

Don’t get me wrong, I preferred him to Kerfoot. But what the heck are we doing here?
Well to answer that question, like I said I knew nothing of the player until he landed on the Isles and I did go on these boards when we acquired him to see what kind of player he was. The posts I read were surprising given what I saw of the player but they make more sense to me now. That is all I was doing here. Thanks all who chose to reply and with that I'm out.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Frankly, both guys should’ve been shipped out but Kerfoot has a similar hold on this franchise the way Holl does.

What team in the NHL wants Alex Kerfoot at his salary? General Managers for NHL teams are "experts" at managing the salary cap and building hockey teams. This is the definition of their jobs.

We as fans can obviously see the Kerfoot is a pretty bad player who is vastly overpaid.. I think you would be hard pressed to find an NHL GM who would disagree, so why would anyone assume we could get anything good for him in a trade?

Engvall is a better player than kerfoot (or at least has more upside), hence he was able to be moved.
All things Kerfoot will forever be biggest mistake of Dubas' Leafs tenure.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What team in the NHL wants Alex Kerfoot at his salary? General Managers for NHL teams are "experts" at managing the salary cap and building hockey teams. This is the definition of their jobs.

We as fans can obviously see the Kerfoot is a pretty bad player who is vastly overpaid.. I think you would be hard pressed to find an NHL GM who would disagree, so why would anyone assume we could get anything good for him in a trade?

Engvall is a better player than kerfoot (or at least has more upside), hence he was able to be moved.

I dunno, Sandin has already started making a case for his trade being the worst move.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I dunno, Sandin has already started making a case for his trade being the worst move.

That trade never made sense. I still don't get it. He's a promising young top 4 D that competes hard, is physical and can move the puck. Pretty upset about it.

Couldn't give less of a shit about the Engvall trade, he had enough chances and did nothing with them, soft as butter.

We now have fans from other teams coming to the Leafs board to boast about their third line forward acquisition after he played 3 good games. Especially hilarious because he was benched the entire third period in the game prior to this stretch, if you can even call it that.

Don’t get me wrong, I preferred him to Kerfoot. But what the heck are we doing here?

Kessel is fat and eats hot dogs haha. Then it was Kessel 2 time cup champ, omg why did the Leafs trade him

Kadri is a playoff liability. Omg Leafs so stupid why they trade an elite C for Barrie ?

Now it's these 2

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

There are a few candidates for this title: Awful goaltending accusations, hiring Keefe as the head coach and not being able to build solid depth around the star players.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
My worry is we picked the wrong tweener to hold on to between Engvall and Kerfoot. Engvall is bigger, has a better goal scoring touch this season, and had great chemistry with Kampf. Engvall also hasn’t absolutely f***ed us in a playoff game the way Kerfoot did in Game 6 last year.

Frankly, both guys should’ve been shipped out but Kerfoot has a similar hold on this franchise the way Holl does.
Honestly, I think the below screenshots tell the best story on why Kerf is still here and Pierre is not. Specifically the 0's in the G column for Pierre

1678997669493.png

1678997747418.png

In 17 career playoff games Pierre has 0 goals. Kerf has not been monumentally better and I recognize it is not the biggest of differences, but it is better then 0's. It's beyond not good enough. I'll be the first to say I cannot stand watching either one of these guys play hockey TBH. Engvall should be way better then he actually is, and Kerfoot is just a semi automatic rapid fire of bad decision after bad decisions. I think he has chased the game the entire year. He is a shittier version of Jarnkrok in every way. That said, I just think it's been a really off year for him. He cannot seem to catch a bounce, and you can tell it is getting to him mentally. The amount of times he second guesses his first look is f***ing mind numbing right now. He has no confidence.

It may be a major reach, but who knows what a stat reset in the playoffs might do for him. It's kind of like a brand new start in a weird way. If he gets an early one, you never know what could happen with him. I'd rather roll the dice on Kerf finding his confidence again vs. Engvall finding his nugs for the first time ever.

IMO, we made the right call on who to keep between Pierre and Kerf. Pierre is and always will be a flash in the pan. He will have stretches of play similar to the one he is on where he scores in B2B games, and then he will be absolutely absent when you need him the most. I am fairly convinced he will never put it all together because he just isn't willing to go where he needs to go to be at his best. I will gladly eat my words if he proves me wrong. Pierre has always had the tools to be a very good NHL player, but he has never been able to put it all together with any form of consistency

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Honestly, I think the below screenshots tell the best story on why Kerf is still here and Pierre is not. Specifically the 0's in the G column for Pierre

View attachment 670138
View attachment 670140

In 17 career playoff games Pierre has 0 goals. Kerf has not been monumentally better and I recognize it is not the biggest of differences, but it is better then 0's. It's beyond not good enough. I'll be the first to say I cannot stand watching either one of these guys play hockey TBH. Engvall should be way better then he actually is, and Kerfoot is just a semi automatic rapid fire of bad decision after bad decisions. I think he has chased the game the entire year. He is a shittier version of Jarnkrok in every way. That said, I just think it's been a really off year for him. He cannot seem to catch a bounce, and you can tell it is getting to him mentally. The amount of times he second guesses his first look is f***ing mind numbing right now. He has no confidence.

It may be a major reach, but who knows what a stat reset in the playoffs might do for him. It's kind of like a brand new start in a weird way. If he gets an early one, you never know what could happen with him. I'd rather roll the dice on Kerf finding his confidence again vs. Engvall finding his nugs for the first time ever.

IMO, we made the right call on who to keep between Pierre and Kerf. Pierre is and always will be a flash in the pan. He will have stretches of play similar to the one he is on where he scores in B2B games, and then he will be absolutely absent when you need him the most. I am fairly convinced he will never put it all together because he just isn't willing to go where he needs to go to be at his best. I will gladly eat my words if he proves me wrong. Pierre has always had the tools to be a very good NHL player, but he has never been able to put it all together with any form of consistency

I wonder what those little red squares would look like next to the big three’s ( Nylander, Marner, Matthews) first playoff appearances then cross reference them to their contracted salaries and what their designated roles were on the Leafs. You give any player the opportunity to score and their numbers will improve. Wasn’t Engvall some 3rd line scrub or was given the opportunities these guys had? In other words it’s disingenuous to compare the goals output from first and second line players who get the prime scoring opportunities like power plays and then compare them to a third liner who plays a defensive role. Those top three averaged 3-4 points each playoff round same as Engvall his first real opportunity in the playoffs. If you have to point fingers it would seem fair to point them at those highly paid players not some scrub on the 3rd line.

Does Engvall really deserve to be the fall guy for all the Leafs post season woes? Does he deserve that shit? Just being real here.

The real problem is that those 3 highly paid players disappear come playoff time. That’s always been the problem. Don’t blame Engvall of all people. I hate reading shit like that.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

View attachment 670138
View attachment 670140

wow engvall has 3 goals in 6 games for the isles? where the hell was this kinda scoring for the leafs? or is that he is playing with better linemates? i haven't kept up to date with his situation.

we had 3 pending UFAs this season 1) Engvall (gone), 2) Kerfoot, 3) Holl

I am not sure what value kerfoot is adding to the Leafs? the habs series where kerfoot has 6 points out of 7 games was all because of Nylander beasting in that series btw

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Shit happens, sometimes players perform better on other teams because the environment on the new team suits that player. reality is Engvall and Sandin were never goign to fit into the Leafs and were never going to get the opportunities on the Leafs they are getting on lesser teams. Time to stop being that neighbor who is always looking over the fence.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
wow engvall has 3 goals in 6 games for the isles? where the hell was this kinda scoring for the leafs? or is that he is playing with better linemates? i haven't kept up to date with his situation.
There has been a lot of luck involved. Don't worry, between goals, NYI fans were posting the same things we've been posting: "Does this guy ever lay a hit or forecheck hard?"

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Engvall always has stretches where you think something is there and then he reverts back to an inconsistent player that frustrates.

Sandin...they chose Rielly essentially over him. Keep in mind, Gus produced for Washington too. Maybe the Leafs should look at Washington PP / offense from defense strategy.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Engvall always has stretches where you think something is there and then he reverts back to an inconsistent player that frustrates.

Sandin...they chose Rielly essentially over him. Keep in mind, Gus produced for Washington too. Maybe the Leafs should look at Washington PP / offense from defense strategy.
Interested to see if he keeps it up. Though I don’t see why it wouldn’t. When everyone’s working hard around you it rubs off on you.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Does Engvall really deserve to be the fall guy for all the Leafs post season woes? Does he deserve that shit? Just being real here.

The real problem is that those 3 highly paid players disappear come playoff time. That’s always been the problem. Don’t blame Engvall of all people. I hate reading shit like that.

lol what. Engvall is not "the fall guy," what the hell are you talking about. It probably seems that way to you because you're literally only here to talk about Engvall. I can assure you that many other Leafs players of all stature have gotten all types of criticism for their playoff performances. It truly takes a village to fail this many times.

Last year we got eliminated by Nick Paul so yeah, 3rd line players can make a difference and Engvall never did. You expect them to trade someone like Marner because he hasn't elevated his game in the playoffs yet? The kind of gamebreaking talents that are almost impossible to acquire? Yeah really weird they kept their best players and traded the replaceable ones to keep being a good team, if only they had less talent they could be fighting for a playoff spot instead of being a lock since November.

you're actually going to another teams board and saying "i hate reading shit like that," while acting like you have some enlightening knowledge about the Leafs, the self-righteousness is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
How is the passive aggressive shit not trolling? We weren't shit enough and desperate to put Pierre f***ing Engvall on our first line like the Isles.
That’s just Islander modus operandi. Every team in the NHL knows how hard working the Islanders are. I’m just hoping that rubs off on Engvall.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I wish Engvall well and I couldn’t give flying %uck at a rolling donut what he does from now on.

All the tools and no effort, can’t stand a guy who gets paid but doesn’t bring it.

He can decide when he wants to play somewhere else.

Reactions: ACC1224

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
lol what. Engvall is not "the fall guy," what the hell are you talking about. It probably seems that way to you because you're literally only here to talk about Engvall. I can assure you that many other Leafs players of all stature have gotten all types of criticism for their playoff performances. It truly takes a village to fail this many times.

Last year we got eliminated by Nick Paul so yeah, 3rd line players can make a difference and Engvall never did. You expect them to trade someone like Marner because he hasn't elevated his game in the playoffs yet? The kind of gamebreaking talents that are almost impossible to acquire? Yeah really weird they kept their best players and traded the replaceable ones to keep being a good team, if only they had less talent they could be fighting for a playoff spot instead of being a lock since November.

you're actually going to another teams board and saying "i hate reading shit like that," while acting like you have some enlightening knowledge about the Leafs, the self-righteousness is insane.
I don’t know. You say your team was essentially eliminated by some 3rd line player named Nick Paul and proceed to blame your former 3rd line player instead of focusing on the 4 players you have over 40 million dollars a year tied up on.

Last edited:

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I liked this guy. Could pitch in 10 - 15 goals per season, great skater, maybe doesn't use his size as much as he should but still good along the boards. I find that some Leaf fans don't understand the purpose of role players.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don’t know. You say your team was essentially eliminated by some 3rd line player named Nick Paul and proceed to blame your former 3rd line player instead of focusing on the 4 players you have over 40 million dollars a year tied up on.

Saying Engvall didn't do much in the playoffs is not blaming him for the losses you prole. I literally said otherwise in the post and acknowledged the stars haven't played well enough. This is an Engvall thread and you seem confused why he's the topic of discussion. And I'm confused why you're here, as if there aren't enough Leafs threads on the main boards for you to act like a jackass within.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I liked this guy. Could pitch in 10 - 15 goals per season, great skater, maybe doesn't use his size as much as he should but still good along the boards. I find that some Leaf fans don't understand the purpose of role players.
Engvall is closer to 15-20 goals per 82 then 10-15 goals per 82. He has 30 goals in his last 142 games or a 17.3 goals per 82.

I'm not losing any sleep over not bringing him back but he's a decent or even good 3rd liner even if there's more to be desired.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Can't complain, I've been unhappy with Dubas not trading players for assets and letting them walk for free.

I liked Engvall but he probably wasn't going to resign here and I probably wouldn't pay him 3+ million. What's a 17-20 goal winger get on the open market? He's 90th in even strength goals, tied or within one goal of Marner, Benn, Suzuki, Dubois, Forsberg, Bunting. Not bad for a guy who probably starts mostly on the defensive zone.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Interested to see if he keeps it up. Though I don’t see why it wouldn’t. When everyone’s working hard around you it rubs off on you.

I don't think it's a case of work ethic around you.

Last year he was on a line with Kampf and Mikhayev and those guys work their bag off. He basically couldn't give even 1 goal in the Tampa series and really p***yed out once Nick Paul confronted him.

He teased at times again this year with the size/speed combo he has, plus a very heavy shot but there were a lot of games he was just a no-show entirely.

He's not a bad player but you just need to be careful on the dollars you're willing to commit to him. I have no ill will towards him, or Sandin, I hope they enjoy their new homes, I just hope Toronto is able to land something nice with the picks lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad