Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Grabner for Beck, Verhaeghe, Finn, Nilsson & Gibson

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Poulin should've been worried two years ago. He is just not an NHL goalie on any level at this point in his career and I don't see it happening ever again.

The truth is the kid was very good until he blew out his knee in warm ups a few years back. Hasn't been the same since like some bizarro/poor-man's DiPietro. A shame for both of them.

There's multiple levels of NHL hockey?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Very interesting Snow would take on contracts that would get us to 50 total leaving no flexibility without another move. Obviously he/wang wanted Grabner's 5 million off their payroll as the TOP priority.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Hey have any of you guys seen anything about "Moonbeam City" yet?

JEEZ...Come on, should be 'pop-up city"

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Very interesting Snow would take on contracts that would get us to 50 total leaving no flexibility without another move. Obviously he/wang wanted Grabner's 5 million off their payroll as the TOP priority.

I don't see this as Wang being cheap; I see this as Snow deciding that he has a budget and he knew he had to move Grabner to allow him to make moves later in the year if needed. Grabner may have been among the top 9, but he also might have been sitting. $5M is a lot to pay a guy to not play. Sure, we are up against the contract limit, but I bet Snow could open up a contract or three if he wanted to do so.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

I guess every time a team gets rid of a bad contract their owner/GM is being cheap

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Beck has to pass through waivers if he doesn't make the team. There's a good chance he'll get pick up by a bottom feeder like Nestrasil (CAR) and Panik (TOR) did last year.

Not to mention it's pretty crowded on the backend in the minors again. Remember Snow got a 3rd for Pedan last year? Wouldn't be surprised to see him get good value back on a team desperate for some youth on D in their farm system.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

I think you're placing to much importance on this limit. If there's a move to be made, Taylor Beck isn't getting in the way of it.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004

What good is having contract flexibility if there is nobody out there we want to add? Not to mention someone like Alexandre Mallett can easily be dropped if we need space.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I saw all these players in the Leafs rookie tournament last weekend and/or with the Marlies last year. None look like NHL players. Yet.

They are all projects. Taylor Beck is similar to Colin McDonald and Steve Bernier. Depth players.

It's a good move for both teams.

More than anything, Bridgeport should have a much better team this year (now) and that will help the other kids develop there - be it Quine, Collberg, Leblanc, etc.

Wasn't impressed with Finn, terrible with the puck and decisions and looked nervous, even among rookies, but still young.

Re: Grabner, happy for him to move on. I don't think he fits well with where the Isles are now, how they play, where he'd slot in the lineup.

Curious to see him and Babcock together though!

I haven't seen him live since 2013 in Sochi, but I really liked Carter Verhaeghe's game with respect to him one day being a third liner in the NHL who plays a responsible two-way game and chips in 25-35 points. His past two OHL seasons have been pretty good in that sense and I'm excited to see if he can be pushing for a job after two AHL seasons.

Kind of see him as a taller Quine.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This crux of the deal for both teams is essentially this:

To Toronto: More contract flexibility (Leafs were up against the 50-contract limit, & this clears four spots)
To New York: $5M in freed-up cash, $3M in freed-up cap space

Since Grabner's on an expiring contract, the Leafs may also be hoping they can flip him for a pick at the deadline if they rehabilitate his trade value.

As for the players you're getting, Nashville fans could probably tell you more about Beck (we acquired him earlier this summer), but he looks to be a decent depth 4th liner at the NHL level.

Nilsson & Gibson probably have the best chance of getting to the NHL out of the prospects you got. Gibson's only 22, and ended up winning the starting job for our AHL team last year by the end of the year, while putting up pretty good numbers. Nilsson is a prototypical "stay-at-home" defenseman, though he doesn't have a ton of size.

As for Finn, he's a prospect that a lot of Leaf fans were high on. In his last year of junior, he captained the Guelph Storm of the WHL to the Memorial Cup tournament, and put up good offensive numbers. But he had a really awful 1st year in professional hockey last year where he couldn't stick on the AHL roster, and got demoted to the ECHL. And it's really looking like his skating may just not be good enough for professional hockey.

Lastly, there's Carter Verhaeghe. He had a good offensive numbers the year after we drafted him, and essentially duplicated those numbers again last year. But he's slipped down our prospect chart at center, and probably would have been squeezed off our AHL roster and sent down to the ECHL, or relegated to a 4th line role if he'd remained in the organization. It's also worrisome how much his offensive production in junior seemed to be tied to having Brendan Perlini as a linemate. His offensive rise the year after he was drafted coincided with Perlini's, and then when Perlini was out with an injury for the first few months of last year, Verhaeghe's numbers fell to below a point-a-game, and didn't rebound until Perlini returned to the lineup.

Thanks for the scouting report! I enjoyed reading this.

Finn's AHL year after that monster junior season was real shocking. There's plenty of time to get it back on track, but I can imagine that TOR staff isn't so certain he'll pan out.

As for Verhaeghe, a good thing the Isles have here is Quine in BPort. He should look at him as the type of guy he wants to follow in breaking into the AHL. Then there's JT, Nielsen and Cizikas in Brooklyn - completely different of course. But hopefully Carter watches what they do and incorporates whatever fits best into his game. He won't get much exposure to them.

I'm most excited about Gibson and Nilsson. It'll take time, but I think the two can etch out smaller NHL careers for themselves.

I hope for Grabner that he gets his career on track. He's a... special player. Even when healthy, he can be frustrating, but is definitely a premiere PK player when running on all cylinders and has drawn the NYI a boatload of power plays. But honestly, when you live on speed and speed alone, having two successive summers of groin OPs is anything but promising.

Cheers

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Christopher Gibson. Finland. His dad is British and mom Finnish and he moved to play in Canada when he was 15 y.o. So I'd say as a goaltender he is more of Canadian product than Finnish. Would he be better if he had stayed in Finland? no idea. I wonder if he still speaks English with French accent :) (Those Chicoutimi years)

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Beck is only 24 so he still has room for upside. Bernier is 29 or 30 and established in his game.

I like the other four players potential as well. Not a bad return for Grabner in this trade climate for a player with his recent stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad