Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Grabner for Beck, Verhaeghe, Finn, Nilsson & Gibson

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York

Beck has some time with the Preds. The other fellas appear to be from the Marlies. Carter Verhaeghe seems to be a decent prospect who played in the OHL last year with Niagara, alongside Josh Ho-Sang.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Garth GMOTY.

Grabs was a goner when Nelsons ink was still wet on his contract.

I really liked Matt Finn in his draft year and Vearhege was really solid in juniors. That's a good trade for a guy that was gonna cost 5mil this year and lost a step.

NYCoolRunner

Apr 8, 2011
People on the main board are surprised the Leafs would give up 5 for 1, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know these players.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Bittersweet move for me. Grabner was never going to get a real shot to play because of the Islanders wonderful coach. This move helps out the Sound Tigers a lot, gives the Isles prospects a (hopefully) winning environment to develop in.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Damn, one of my fav Islanders.

Definitely untapped ability, but also a real good guy. Wish him the best (except when they play us).

They left out one "player" in the mix for us. A utility guy named Sal(ary) Relief.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Nilsson is the only guy with potential, he may end up being a 2nd pairing defenceman. Verghaege and Finn lack the footspeed for the NHL, Beck is a 4th liner, Gibson spent time in the ECHL last year.

Looks like you're freeing up cap room for Nelson and we're freeing up contracts.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I recall Gibson and Finn from their draft years- haven't tracked since. Impressive to see Beck played 5 playoff games with the Preds last season.

Seems like a bigger haul than the 3rd rounder we were hoping for at the draft.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I love this trade. Basically traded an extra forward (whom I liked admittedly) for 5 prospects. Loved Verhage and I believe Matt Finn is a Dman from the 2012 draft whom I personally wanted over Pokka. So if it were just those 2 guys I woulda been happy with the trade. With Petrov and MDC in the mix, Grabner was the odd man out anyway. Bailey fans should be happy too, definitely a vote of confidence to keep him in the top 9 forward group.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I like that carter plays with Ho Sang and Finn is a recent second rounder...

Hate to see Grabs go, but the kid has had a glut of injuries lately.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I remember a lot of people on here losing their minds when we took Pokka with Finn still on the board, so I guess we've now fixed that matter.

But yeah, seems like a money saving move rather than a hockey move.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Don't care for any of the players traded for. Salary relief and no locker problems. No way did Grabs want to be in the press box in a contract year. Room for Bernier now too, who outproduced Grabs last year.

Didn't have to give up a pick like CHI did with Versteeg either.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I remember a lot of people on here losing their minds when we took Pokka with Finn still on the board, so I guess we've now fixed that matter.

But yeah, seems like a money saving move rather than a hockey move.

Also frees up a roster spot for the forwards and helps Bridgeport out as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad