Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NYI] Grabner for Beck, Verhaeghe, Finn, Nilsson & Gibson

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Not sure why moving Grabner would be a precursor to another move. He was slotted to be the 13th forward, and expected to walk after the season. They got what value they could and replaced him with a better fitting 13th forward at a fraction of the price.

Also, some people still would have preferred to see Bailey dealt in Grabner's place? Twilight Zone-esque.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not sure why moving Grabner would be a precursor to another move. He was slotted to be the 13th forward, and expected to walk after the season. They got what value they could and replaced him with a better fitting 13th forward at a fraction of the price.

Also, some people still would have preferred to see Bailey dealt in Grabner's place? Twilight Zone-esque.

I didn't see anybody say that. I don't know if you saw it in another thread, FB, or Twitter, but I just read through all 6 pages and didn't see that once. I did see them asking what people would have thought if the trade had been Bailey instead of Grabner, but nobody said that's what they wanted.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I didn't see anybody say that. I don't know if you saw it in another thread, FB, or Twitter, but I just read through all 6 pages and didn't see that once. I did see them asking what people would have thought if the trade had been Bailey instead of Grabner, but nobody said that's what they wanted.

I saw it. I responded to it.

CDirt

Mar 20, 2008
z9.invisionfree.com
Nilson might be the kid out of this crop that bears watching. He's not exactly the second coming of Denis Potvin but sound like an extremely reliable stay at home guy. Sounds like the kind of guy that spends his career as a journey man NHL player.

Doesn't make you a cup contender but when you have injuries or shallow on D never hurts you on the ice in limited minutes. That might be his bottom. At best a third pairing defensemen that plays with a lot snarl and picks his spots well.

I think Bport might be worth watching this season, boys!!!!

Snow has a habit of keeping an eye open for players like this and tends to come up aces. This kid seems the more sure bet of this crop. Here's to hoping Brian Strait's days are numbered.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Snow just moved 5 mill off the books for a fistfull of nobodies.

My only question is, when's the other shoe drop?

And this had zero to do with Okposo as Grabner's salary would not have been here when his new contract, if he has one, kicks in. This has everything to do with this year. I expect a significant move to follow that brings in salary.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Finn is not going to be an NHL player, bad feet and does not see the ice all that well.

Gibson is easily the best player you got.....he is a very good young goalie and got the Marlies into the playoffs last season.

I can see him challenging for the back up spot this season. He is a battler in net and never gives up on a puck. This kid was on a very bad Q team and won many awards while in the Q.

He was drafted to the Q in the import draft out of Saskatchewan while playing for Notre Dame Hounds. He had a shutout in the championship game of the Telus cup facing 52 shots. The kid can play the puck very well and likely the goalie Snow want....

Good luck to Gibber...

scott99

May 13, 2005
Finn is not going to be an NHL player, bad feet and does not see the ice all that well.

Gibson is easily the best player you got.....he is a very good young goalie and got the Marlies into the playoffs last season.

I can see him challenging for the back up spot this season. He is a battler in net and never gives up on a puck. This kid was on a very bad Q team and won many awards while in the Q.

He was drafted to the Q in the import draft out of Saskatchewan while playing for Notre Dame Hounds. He had a shutout in the championship game of the Telus cup facing 52 shots. The kid can play the puck very well and likely the goalie Snow want....

Good luck to Gibber...
Yeah, very high on Gibson. Unlike some other Isle's goalie prospects, he hasn't had any poor seasons, has played well every year and seems to be progressing well. Him and Williams will be the main men at Bridgeport, and the better goalie will be Halak's backup in 2016-17.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Yeah, very high on Gibson. Unlike some other Isle's goalie prospects, he hasn't had any poor seasons, has played well every year and seems to be progressing well. Him and Williams will be the main men at Bridgeport, and the better goalie will be Halak's backup in 2016-17.

Poulin is still around and unless he is moved, he will most likely be 1st choice.

The Isles are at 50 contracts now, right? I think we might see a 2-for-1 or future considerations trade pretty shortly to make sure they have some wriggle room.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Poulin should probably be very worried right now. I could see the Isles going with the Williams/Gibson tandem in Bridgeport if they both look good in camp. Barring an injury, I assume Poulin's days are numbered in the Isles system. It is a shame because he looked good before the injuries hit, and appears to be working his way back a little bit, but time is running very short and the numbers are stacked against him.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Just to add, obviously it is not an official depth chart by any means, however, it is interesting that both Williams and Gibson are listed on the Isles team roster while Poulin is listed in the "In The System" section. I am sure it is just a matter of website cleanup, since all of the newly-acquired players are listed on the Isles team page, but it definitely bears watching as camp reports and "insider" news leaks out.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
It's funny, i've seen several posts by hockey people and Leafs fans saying they are all crap except for one player. The funny part is that each of those posts have had a different one player. I've seen Finn, Verhaeghe, Nilsson and Gibson all listed as the ONLY real prospect out of that group. So, with that said. Mark my words.. Beck for Hall of Fame.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
It's funny, i've seen several posts by hockey people and Leafs fans saying they are all crap except for one player. The funny part is that each of those posts have had a different one player. I've seen Finn, Verhaeghe, Nilsson and Gibson all listed as the ONLY real prospect out of that group. So, with that said. Mark my words.. Beck for Hall of Fame.

I was going to post the same thing.

No one response to the trade has the same prospect as the "only good one"

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

was kind of laughing at this as well. IMO, if we get 1 solid player, even a 4th liner, 3rd pairing, or backup tender, it was worth it.

Finn, 21, 2nd rounder (25th)
Verhaeghe, 20, 3rd rounder (82nd)
Beck, 24, 3rd rounder (70th)
Nilsson, 22, 4th rounder (100th)
Gibson, 22, FA signing, i believe

so, for Grabner, we got a 2nd, 2 3rd's, a 4th and a FA signing.

my pick, for someone to make it? no one. all very good AHL players, doing spot duty in the bigs, but that's it.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There is always the feeling that you can improve a player's skating and sure Isles scouting has followed these guys who were possibly later round picks that TOR took first. Isles also have Missouri ECHL team so they may also see time there.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
was kind of laughing at this as well. IMO, if we get 1 solid player, even a 4th liner, 3rd pairing, or backup tender, it was worth it.

my pick, for someone to make it? no one. all very good AHL players, doing spot duty in the bigs, but that's it.

Gibson was a 2nd round pick by the Kings in 2011.

scott99

May 13, 2005
To me, Gibson is the best player of the bunch. Has never had what you would call a bad season. A Finnish goalie who played in the Q, both Fins and goalies from the Q usually are pretty decent. Good size, about 6'1' 200, and still only 22. My bet would be Williams and Gibson fight it out at Bridgeport for starts and Poulin is left looking for a job. Talent wise, this kid has it all, excellent lateral movement, good on glove and blocker side. I would have been fine with a straight up trade of Grabner for Gibson, never thought we'd get so many players for Grabner.

Finn, like you guys have said, getting differing comments from Leafs fans, one guy says he's SLOW (in capital letters), and other says he's a good skater. So since I haven't been watching him much since his draft year, have to see for myself.

Verhaeghe, I love this guy, every time I watched him he impressed me. Obviously not a top 6 forward, but a nice future addition for our 3rd or 4th line, or maybe just a career AHLer, time will tell.

Nilsson, several Leafs fans seem to love this guy. Not big, I remember seeing him in the WJHC in 2013, big hitter for a smaller guy. I do remember he's a pretty darned good skater. Maybe a less offensive De Haan ? Not sure he ever makes the NHL but seems like he could be a decent 6 or 7 dman, lots of depth ahead of him and Finn though.

Beck, don't know much about him, like the size though. Has played more NHL games than the other 4 combined.

Overall, the more I look at this trade, the more I like it.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Much has been made of Toronto dropping from 49 contracts to 45..

What did this trade do to our count? How many contracts do we have?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Gibson was a 2nd rounder as well, (LA)

They're all decent prospects, I think the reason you see such difference in opinions in Leaf fans is because there isn't one stand out prospect, and they're all around the same "quality/value" -- all depends what you like in a player i suppose. Do you want the potential NHL goalie, your favorite is Gibson, stay at home D? Nilsson.. Potential bottom six C? Verhaege.. Safe bet to be a roster player? Beck... etc. Finn was the highest rated prospect outta the group @ 16 (voted by Leaf fans on HF), had a leas than stellar rookie pro season, but is still young and can definitely turn it around, just needs to work on his skating, and decision making.

I can definitely see the appeal for you guys, as Grabner was considered a cap dump by most iirc, and you just snagged 4 B prospects, and Beck for a dump.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Poulin should probably be very worried right now. I could see the Isles going with the Williams/Gibson tandem in Bridgeport if they both look good in camp. Barring an injury, I assume Poulin's days are numbered in the Isles system. It is a shame because he looked good before the injuries hit, and appears to be working his way back a little bit, but time is running very short and the numbers are stacked against him.

Poulin should've been worried two years ago. He is just not an NHL goalie on any level at this point in his career and I don't see it happening ever again.

The truth is the kid was very good until he blew out his knee in warm ups a few years back. Hasn't been the same since like some bizarro/poor-man's DiPietro. A shame for both of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad