Confirmed with Link: [TOR/MTL] Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) & Kyle Baun for Kerby Rychel, Rinat Valiev & TOR 2nd 2018

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Maybe this means when Auston Matthews is back, we will see Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen as our "checking line" which will allow the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line an "easier" match up in the sense that they aren't going up against the other teams best line and can think a bit more offensively, whilst still being reliable defensively (for the most part).

Could also drop Brown down to the checking line and move Kapanen on to the Bozak line.

Reactions: Eb and Leaf4Life

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I like this deal for the Leafs. Plek was pretty much the only UFA I had interest in.

Although I wish we didn't have to trade our 2nd for him, I think we made out pretty well only losing Rychel; who management clearly didn't like, and Valiev; who stagnated after his first year in the AHL.

Realistically this guy is still a good 3C (Like Boyle last year), and if we really wanted, makes Bozak fully expendable.

Reactions: weems

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So capable C's

Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
Marleau
Bozak
Plekanec
Moore
Komarov
Gauthier

I'd also be ok with bringing Pleks back for a couple more years at a low cap hit to be our 4th line C.

Reactions: MattySnipes

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Trade a 2nd for Plek

Now trade Bozak for a 2nd + 3rd

Then trade 3rd + Martin for Glendening?

I really hope we do something like that.

Would be very savvy asset management to get a 3rd like centre that better fits our team needs, while coming out neutral or maybe positive in terms of picks traded.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Could have been better, but hopefully this does allow the Leafs to move on from Bozak. Plekanec can be the insurance the Leafs need to allow Nylander to transition to center, since he could easily spot Nylander as 3C if necessary.

I would not be against trading Gauthier if we are able to re-sign Plekanec for one year. Give Aaltonen one more year in the AHL, and then let Aaltonen become Plekanec 2.0 the year after that.

I also like the the Leafs are able to use Rychel and Valiev to get some retention, open up another contract spot, and to get the Marlies a good role forward.

I don't think it's as complicated as that. They're loading up on players for a cup run and whether you like Plekanec or not (I don't really like him) he fills a role, upgrades the 4th C and allows more match ups.

I don't think they move Bozak anymore, he's an "own rental," hate the term but you know. Pleks is a worse player than Bozak at the moment. I don't think they're moving assets to get a downgrade just so they can get the same return on Bozak from another contender.

I also don't think they're retaining any more contracts.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yes this might mean bozak is finally gone

I don’t get the logic here.

I wanted Bozak trade last deadline (or the summer) as I felt we needed to continue the rebuild.

That is NOT their direction. Especially with an injured Matthews. The team is stockpiling for playoff success.

The concept of own rental may outweigh the desire to recover assets. This team would be weaker if Bozak and JVR are taken off the PP.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really hope we do something like that.

Would be very savvy asset management to get a 3rd like centre that better fits our team needs, while coming out neutral or maybe positive in terms of picks traded.

Pretty clear the only asset they care about now is silverware.

Reactions: draeko17

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He wont cost much to resign, Bozie will make more next year. Anyways...

He won’t cost much because of his age. We need to stay away.

The team really shouldn’t be putting vets in places where cheaper and still developing players could occupy. It’s a different game now.

Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I think he's a good fit for you guys. He's washed offensively (he can still chip in points but he wasn't a great even strength scorer even in his prime) and of course isn't a physical player, but he's still a smart defender, great PKer, and can eat up big minutes when necessary.

Make no mistake, he will blow good offensive opportunities and it is frustrating, but for the Habs he was an easy scapegoat on a team lacking talent. He still has life as a jack of all trades defense first forward.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Leivo i n his house right now:

Dean-Winchester-Sheds-A-Tear-On-Supernatural.gif

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
So we traded Scott Harrington, a 3rd and a free 2nd if you really thin about it. Harrington was used to get Rychel. Valiev was a 3rd rounder who had no future with out team. We got a 2nd from SJS for Polak who we then brought back anyway a season later, made one of our 2nds expendable and even traded the one that will be later.

On a side note, if we bring back Michalek now we will be the best empty net team in the league :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad