Proposal: TOR / MIN

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You did not bring up AP and no way slight against you. But there are Leafs fans convinced AP will sign there and I just roll my eyes.

Manson =900k more than Kapanen in trade. Hamonic is going to get 4m a year (should be less but in free agency players usually are bid up). This is my question. (caps not angry just emphasis) WHO DO YOU GET RID OF TO MAKE THE CAP WORK? It doesn't fit under the cap to trade Kapanen/pick for Manson and retain everyone. It doesn't fit to sign Hamonic and keep everyone else over 3m salary. You can trade Johnnson and Kerfoot sign Hamonic and have 1m players all across 3rd/4th line. But are the Leafs better?
Usually. Most probably not this season. The league (as a whole) is out of cap space. If the cap is flat like expected, this summer FA will be screwed.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You did not bring up AP and no way slight against you. But there are Leafs fans convinced AP will sign there and I just roll my eyes.

Manson =900k more than Kapanen in trade. Hamonic is going to get 4m a year (should be less but in free agency players usually are bid up). This is my question. (caps not angry just emphasis) WHO DO YOU GET RID OF TO MAKE THE CAP WORK? It doesn't fit under the cap to trade Kapanen/pick for Manson and retain everyone. It doesn't fit to sign Hamonic and keep everyone else over 3m salary. You can trade Johnnson and Kerfoot sign Hamonic and have 1m players all across 3rd/4th line. But are the Leafs better?
It's not that they are convinced.. its that they know there is interest and he fits the bill perfectly. They also know that caps and re worked with and traees can happen. The leafs have very movable pieces. From nylnader to kapanen to AJ to kerfoot.. all could go for D help... will that D help be AP ?? Does he want to play in his hometown?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It's not that they are convinced.. its that they know there is interest and he fits the bill perfectly. They also know that caps and re worked with and traees can happen. The leafs have very movable pieces. From nylnader to kapanen to AJ to kerfoot.. all could go for D help... will that D help be AP ?? Does he want to play in his hometown?

Just throwing out figures. Say Alex p. 8.5-9m year with no compliance buy outs and tight cap. 9-10m if there is a compliance buy out(as example no buy out the Flyers can't get involved. With compliance buy out JVR 7m can go and voila Flyers can offer 9-10m easy). So Leafs would have to trade Nylander and 1-2 3m plus players for either picks or players under their first NHL contract. Its doable but lines 3-4 for Toronto would be on Fugly side.

Marner, Nylander, Kapanen all movable pieces. I will say Kapanen alone does not get a Risto or Manson and you would also have to dump another 3m salary to fit the additional salary.

Kerfoot isnt getting a d-man. Picks at best. Ditto Johnnson off 6 month knee surgery.

Alex P to TML is long shot at best.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Minnesota needs bodies who can produce somewhat for next season so I can see the fit for Kerfoot in Minny. A 2nd rounder might stretching things a little.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
And the giant gaping hole that you have created at #3 center is filled by?

And no soon to be 37 year old Jason Spezza is not a valid answer

Regardless, I like to see Kerfoot gone. I can't stand the way he plays. Rotate some guys around giving them a shot at the 3rd line center role and if they don't work out then pick up someone around the trade deadline.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Minnesota needs bodies who can produce somewhat for next season so I can see the fit for Kerfoot in Minny. A 2nd rounder might stretching things a little.

Minnesota really doesdoe need bodies. They have too many bodies, look at Minnesota roster. If Minnesota can even draft a 2c, they have no room.

Minnesota plan for now is Staal, ek, & sturm so Minnesota only needs a c who can be a 1 or 2

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Kerfoot gets a lot of undeserved hate. I don't like him as a winger, he sucked on JT's wing. But when he was moved to 3C with Kappy they were a really good line.

Kerfoot's biggest issue is he is not Matthews, JT, and most importantly Kadri. People have big shoes they expect him to fill. He's just a middle 6 center.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Dubas got saved by the Bell with the season geting shutdown. If the Leafs got royally kicked in the playoffs his whole schtick would be exposed.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Regardless, I like to see Kerfoot gone. I can't stand the way he plays. Rotate some guys around giving them a shot at the 3rd line center role and if they don't work out then pick up someone around the trade deadline.

The Leafs are past the point of "giving guys shots."

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hardly. With more than 50% of the team's cap space invested into 4 forwards, giving entry level players, retreads and 4th liners "shots" then backfilling holes at the trade deadline is the new normal.

Giving guys shots is for rebuilding teams the Leafs are looking to win, if a guy takes a spot that's one thing but the Leafs are clearly done giving guys shots

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
meh the leafs need a 3C. Johnsson/Kap are more likely to be moved.

some on here suggesting he may be worth a 3rd? lol. he still woulda had 35pts with minimal pp times and is only 25

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Take it up with Dubas who built this gem of a roster. If you are trading Kapanen plus for a d man it pretty safe to assume you will have to add salary. 1m top4 d-man don't exactly make the market.

Of course TML are not as good if you trade Kerfoot for a 3rd or 2nd or whatever. But if you are "dumping" a 3m+ player for cap between Kerfoot, Kapanen, or Johnsson(assuming knee is cleared) its Kerfoot who goes.

dude you go to every leafs thread and say the value is bad for the other team...every thread.

also your last sentence is flat our wrong. kerfoot would stay over johnsson because a) dubas brought in kerfoot, while johnsson was a holdover and b) the leafs have plenty of top 9 wingers and dont have a replacement 3c)

but you do you

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I could see Minnesota being willing to take a chance on a guy like Kerfoot. Wouldn't be happy if they gave up a 2nd round pick for him though.
how do you feel about a kerfoot for pateryn deal?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I suspect Kerfoot as a piece may be more attractive to Wild's management than some fans in this thread are presuming.

He would fall in line with the "retool strategy" they seem to be following of bringing in newish younger bodies to shake things up.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
how do you feel about a kerfoot for pateryn deal?
That would be a very good deal for Minnesota if Kerfoot is the best center that they can acquire. The problem is that Kerfoot better not be the best center that Guerin can get his hands on. The bigger problem is that Minnesota has zero room on the wings to slide a guy like Kerfoot into if he can't cut it in the middle.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
That would be a very good deal for Minnesota if Kerfoot is the best center that they can acquire. The problem is that Kerfoot better not be the best center that Guerin can get his hands on. The bigger problem is that Minnesota has zero room on the wings to slide a guy like Kerfoot into if he can't cut it in the middle.

I so agree with you. If bill guerin stumbles into a good c in draft or trade, wild just doesn't have room for kerfoot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad