Proposal: TOR-MIN

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Looks like Minny's forwards walked through a minefield.. 5 injured. How's this for value?

TOR: JVR, Bozak, Carrick, 1st (top 14 protection)

MIN: Dumba, contracts/dumps

Can retain on both JVR & Bozak, UFAs at end of season

IMO it's an overpay value wise but a future d-core of Rielly-Dumba, Gardiner-Zaitsev, Dermott-Liljegren looks sexy
Well that price seems a tad high for Toronto...no?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Looks like Minny's forwards walked through a minefield.. 5 injured. How's this for value?

IMO it's an overpay value wise but a future d-core of Rielly-Dumba, Gardiner-Zaitsev, Dermott-Liljegren looks sexy

Overpay? Value? What happens when Bozak and JVR walk as free agents in the summer? That's a low 1st rounder (most likely) and Carrick for Dumba. Surprisingly (;)), this trade = good for the Leafs, bad for the Wild. The only part that goes against this is the contract dumps.

Reactions: Mike Bobcat

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Overpay? Value? What happens when Bozak and JVR walk as free agents in the summer? That's a low 1st rounder (most likely) and Carrick for Dumba. Surprisingly (;)), this trade = good for the Leafs, bad for the Wild. The only part that goes against this is the contract dumps.
Umm, how so? We lose a 60 point winger, a 50 point center, and a 1st....i get Dumba is decent, but as a hopeful playoff team, that's a lot to give up. I also understand why Minny would decline.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
leafs get robbed in this deal. their best bet is to trade jvr and bozak for futures and then try to flip those futures for nhl ready players.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Umm, how so? We lose a 60 point winger, a 50 point center, and a 1st....i get Dumba is decent, but as a hopeful playoff team, that's a lot to give up. I also understand why Minny would decline.

There's some things that I think get undervalued or under appreciated here (nation). To consummate a trade, two parties (teams) are involved. Understanding the impact on us is the easy part. But there is a 2nd GM involved and for the trade to happen that GM will need to agree with the trade. And unfortunately, our potential trading partner's GM understands the market and knows that a top-4 defender fetches a lot in the market.

At the risk of saying something redundant, if these kind of packages that we talk about could land us Tanev, Dumba or top 4 defender X, a deal would have been done some time ago. Its not exactly a secret that we have been wanting to upgrade the blueline for quite some time.

Last edited:

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Dumba is a top 4 dman. You can keep saying he isn't but that doesn't make you right. However, he and Brodin, for whatever reason, do not look good together. Someone should call up Jordan Leopold to play with Dumba since neither Scandella nor Brodin can handle his play style and Suter is playing with Spurgeon.
His play style? Lol what is that? Getting caught out of position? His inability to keep a puck in the offensive zone? His lack of situational awareness? Missing the net high and wide on every slap shot? Going for a line change on a 2-on-1?

55 was a perfect number for Dumba because he truly is a dumbass who has one of the lowest hockey IQ's I've ever witnessed for a "top 4 defenseman".

If he was so good why did Bruce not want him playing with Suter? Brodin-Spurgeon looked fantastic in pre-season.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
minnesota would win this trade now, but toronto would win this trade for the future and the rest of eternity

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His play style? Lol what is that? Getting caught out of position? His inability to keep a puck in the offensive zone? His lack of situational awareness? Missing the net high and wide on every slap shot? Going for a line change on a 2-on-1?

55 was a perfect number for Dumba because he truly is a dumbass who has one of the lowest hockey IQ's I've ever witnessed for a "top 4 defenseman".

If he was so good why did Bruce not want him playing with Suter? Brodin-Spurgeon looked fantastic in pre-season.

I have my reservations about Dumba's game, but to dismiss him w/o mentioning his strengths, i.e Great shot, excellent skater, physicality, toughness, offensive aggressiveness, ability to be the featured point shot on a #1PP unit, great attitude, relative youth and upside, to name a few, indicates an unbalanced view of the young man.

"Missing the net high and wide" on every shot? Hardly. I wish he had missed Coyle's leg.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I get they're rentals but that's bad for the Leafs. Decimates their depth.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

This take is even worse than your thoughts about Dumba.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Your whole first paragraph is either false or something every defenseman whom is 23 or younger does or has. Caught out of position... Brodin has had that happen to him. Spurgeon just last night got burned for a goal because he was out of position. If you can’t see the upgrade Dumba is over Olofsson/Reilly/Quincey then there is definite bias. Inability to keep the puck in the zone is very situational. Spurgeon for the longest time had people griping at him because he couldn’t hold the zone on the power play. Situational awareness? Proof? Line change on a 2-on-1 proof? If he misses the net high and wide every time then why are most of his goals one time slap shots?

The rest of your post clearly shows you’ve made up your mind and there’s no going back.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs have played 4 rookies/sophomores on defence this season. They will be cheaper and fine once they play more NHL games.

Zaitsev Carrick Borgman Rosen

I'd like to see a vet added like Green for a playoff run. Similar to why Boyle was brought in for the forwards last year.

Liljegren and Dermott incoming soon.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I'm sure a guy who wasn't even protected in the expansion draft is totally worth all of that, but why stop there? Why not include Matthews and try to pry another 5th round pick out of the Wild in the deal. Go for broke buddy!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Leafs are 5 and 1, probably one of the top 4 teams in the league and yet we are now looking to trade all our young stars before its too late! Im no longer sold that we need a top 4 Dman and it is hardly critical. Now the Leafs are winners everyone wants our players for cheap. If the Canucks keep losing with a new coach in, lookout Benning!

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Two rentals and a protected draft pick for a young top 4 dman? Are you serious

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The Leafs are 5 and 1, probably one of the top 4 teams in the league and yet we are now looking to trade all our young stars before its too late! Im no longer sold that we need a top 4 Dman and it is hardly critical. Now the Leafs are winners everyone wants our players for cheap. If the Canucks keep losing with a new coach in, lookout Benning!
JVR and Bozak are not young stars. They are rentals because Minnesota will not be able to afford them. They don't really have cap dumps to send back either. Carrick isn't a need. The leafs would be stupid to do this deal and so would the Wild.
What exactly has Matt Dumba done to get a 60pt winger, 50p C and a 35 defenceman, AND a 1st?

How long do we left draft position affect value?
What do you mean by 35 defenseman?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

There's no way that Toronto would do this - regardless of how appealing that may be. Toronto wants to try and challenge for a cup, and JVR and Bozak are crucial to any chance they may have at doing that this season, so while it's possible that one could get moved, the odds that both will go is slim to none. And neither will they get killed value wise just to add a young RD. There's cheaper ways to do that, and they know it.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
I know one of the ongoing themes among opposing fans and the media is that the Leafs must upgrade their awful, awful defense---but I'm actually pretty happy with our group, thanks.

Rielly, Gardiner & Zaitsev are all legit top-3 defensemen, and Hainsey has been more solid and steady beside Rielly than I expected. I also like the three-man rotation we've got on our bottom pairing.

So yeah...don't really see the need to trade a 50-point center, 60-point winger, and take on a bunch of dead cap space when the team is in a position to win now. It doesn't fill a pressing need, and doesn't leave the Leafs improved at the end of the day.

Kase

May 1, 2016
This trade makes sense for neither team. Value wise it favors Minnesota, but they can't take that much cap, and the injured players are coming back at some point which would creat a logjam at forward positions. And imo Minnesota is not in position to trade Dumba or any other top 4 dman at this point because of the lack of depth in defence.

For Toronto this is bad value and imo Dumba isn't the kind of defenseman they should be looking for, not for this kind of cost at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad