Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
We'll be ok, worst case is trade one of the top 9 2-3M players for a dman.

Mikheyev2.2Matthews11.634Nylander6.963
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner10.893
Johnsson3.4Kerfoot3.4Kapanen3.2
Agostino0.7Gauthier0.7Korshkov0.925
Moore0.775
Rielly5Barrie7.5
Dermott3Hometown UFA1.1
Sandin0.894Liljegren0.863
Harpur0.8Schmaltz0.8
Andersen5
Woll0.8
Kessel1.2
Salary84.997
Cap space0.003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here is what I would say about the D.
No idea if Barrie will resign for 7.5. If not you find someone else for that or cheaper.
Dermott is not making 3M on his next contract. He hasn't played top-4 and will have to prove that in 2020 on a show me contract that will probably be half that amount. Sandin is way ahead of where people believe and will probably be 2nd pairing as well. Liljegren can play 3rd pairing with some league min guy. Carry one spare D and you are coming in cheaper by about 2.6M

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I was referring to Muzzin Barrie and Reilly being signed and Dermott filling in on the top 4. Go down and highlight where it literally outright says ceci is a 5 or 6 d man for me. I will give that I didn’t proof read that post for clarity but good god. Talk about nit picking when it clearly states he’s a 5 or 6 d
OOOOOOHHHHHH you were referring bla bla bla ...
Thats cute!

Use your eyes next time ''champ'' as it was highlighted just for you big boy

Swing and miss as someone once said

The90

Feb 27, 2017
OOOOOOHHHHHH you were referring bla bla bla ...
Thats cute!

Use your eyes next time ''champ'' as it was highlighted just for you big boy

Swing and miss as someone once said
Yet you tried to read between the lines of a quote that wasn’t directed at ceci. And refuse to go back and highlight where it literally says he’s a 5 or 6.

You can’t argue with stupid I guess

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You think I am a NHL GM? Thanks, I am not a GM therefore I did not make any mistakes negotiating any RFA deals. Dubas on the otherhand id, and he said he did. So let's give him credit for owning up to his mistakes.
Of course, I don't think you are an NHL GM; you don't have the skills for it. Besides, you don't have to be one to make mistakes, admit mistakes and learn from them. Of course,Dubas would admit his mistakes. That is an excellent quality in a human being. The buck stops with him. We saw that in an earlier interview when he said that he made the mistake of not starting talks with Nylander. I am not sure, and Dubas didn't mention, what mistake he had made in the Marner negotiations, I am guessing he didn't move down to 6 years a day earlier. However, he got Marner done, and fit him in above Nylander, but below Tavares and Mathews where he belongs. Otherwise, to reiterate, you don't have to be an NHL GM to make or admit mistakes.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Yet you tried to read between the lines of a quote that wasn’t directed at ceci. And refuse to go back and highlight where it literally says he’s a 5 or 6.

You can’t argue with stupid I guess
Probably more stupid is the one that can't read a simple sentence

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Until Dermott and Hyman return.
Given the way leafs management has handled the cap this summer, don’t you think they likely have a plan for that?

Never mind lol the goal posts just get moved back after that happens to ‘well next year’ I’ll move along

Reactions: CatchyTune

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Given the way leafs management has handled the cap this summer, don’t you think they likely have a plan for that?

Never mind lol the goal posts just get moved back after that happens to ‘well next year’ I’ll move along

I don't think much of Leafs management. They fall backwards into a first overall pick, hope their other guys over perform and that seems to have been their plan in hindsight. Dubas might as well let his players write their own cheque.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Love how the goal posts have moved.

It was "No way can the Leafs afford to keep all of Marner, Matthews and Nylander".

Now it's changed to "But, but, but Next Year!"

We Can, and We Did!
Last year it was Nylander, this year is was Marner, next year its the defence (actually that started the second Marners pen touched the paper) year after its Andersen, then Rielly etc. Seems like half the posters on this board care more about the leafs' cap than anything else in hockey.

"We can and we will" turned into "We could and we did" and the trend will continue year after year, as much as the leafs doomsday preachers hate to admit that, it absolutely will

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dermott is not going to be making anything close to 4M. So far he has 1.5 years as an ultra-sheltered 3rd pairing D. He will be starting the season on LTIR and he is unlikely to be breaking the top-4 this year except to cover for injuries. Sign him for a year or two at 1.5M to give him a chance to show if he can play top 4.

You think Dermott's only going to get $1.5 million? If he plays anywhere close to what he's capable of this season, even with the missed injury time, he's probably getting $2.5 to $3 million per.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Next year the Leafs already have a cap hit of $66M for 12 players. Assuming the cap limit rises to $84M that leaves $18M to sign the other half of the team.
The Leafs are ****ed!
Yup - it's why this 2019/2020 season will be their best shot at winning the Cup.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Best post in the Marner threads! Well said!

I think everyone can comprehend that the Leafs overpaid Marner, probably by a million or more per year. There are worse ways to spend money I suppose.

Mitch's camp has come out of the process looking incredibly greedy but at the end of the day he's a fantastic player who I'm sure will be motivated to live up to this contract in his hometown.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

Just in case you're interested in the actual link:

2016 Cup team
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
(Malkin 4th, Crosby 6th, Kessel 11th*, Letang 22nd)

2017 Cup team
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
(Malkin 5th, Crosby 7th, Kessel 13th*, Letang 25th)

*Both above are Kessel at his full $8 million salary. If you scroll down to the $6.8 million range, which is what the Pens actually had to pay and actually took up space on their team cap, he would have placed 33rd and 37th.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Last year it was Nylander, this year is was Marner, next year its the defence (actually that started the second Marners pen touched the paper) year after its Andersen, then Rielly etc. Seems like half the posters on this board care more about the leafs' cap than anything else in hockey.

"We can and we will" turned into "We could and we did" and the trend will continue year after year, as much as the leafs doomsday preachers hate to admit that, it absolutely will
Actually this year its the defense as well...Lets face facts. Your window is this year, and you dont have a team that can win the cup. Next year you will be in rebuild mode

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Actually this year its the defense as well...Lets face facts. Your window is this year, and you dont have a team that can win the cup. Next year you will be in rebuild mode
...Is this a serious post? Anyone who knows 2 shits about hockey would disagree. I really hope this is a sarcastic post or so help me God this board will be the end of me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad