Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Draisaitl's deal does have those RFA years at the start. He also signed after a very dominant playoffs where he proved he wasn't a product of McDavid. With cap percentage, the comparable that Drai and Chia settled on was Kopitar's first RFA deal. In the short term, his deal's starting point could have been Tarasenko, Johansen and Kuznetzov, with Drai being rightfully priced above them for what was proven at that time.

But btw I don't think the Tavares signing is bad, if you are getting flack for it being overpriced. I do think Tavares is a bit overrated, but for a UFA mercenary it's better than us paying 6 million for Lucic

Sorry, but paying someone based off of a small playoff sample has almost never worked.

This is a guy who looks like a 50-60 point 2C when he's separated from McDavid and he's getting paid like Tarasenko, Kopitar, Johansen and Kuznetsov?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Mats didn't do worse to us. We didn't offer him a contract after his expired when Burke came. He screwed us out of a deadline deal, but as someone with a NTC that was his right. I don't think any other Leaf captain has has more garbage spit at him by local pundits. His spot in the rafters iS deserved. Now, I hope to never see 15 Vince Carter up there for what he did, he flat out quit on the team. He quit on us to an unseen level (told opposing teams our plays allegedly). I could handle Bosh, which was somewhat similar to JT. Now, I hope Isles fans can forgive him at some point in the future. It may take 10 to 15 years like it did for Vince in Toronto (personally, I still don't forgive him). But, let's not throw Mats under the bus, he exercised a right we gave him and gave it his all for us. If Isles fans want to hate him, it is their right.

Isles fans are mad that JT lied to them.

Mats said. “I don’t want to go to another team halfway through a season”..... only to sign with another team halfway through the season

What mats did was worse because he held a meeting and convinced the rest of the team not to waive. #muskoka5

Reactions: bionic and Voight

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Draisaitl's deal does have those RFA years at the start. He also signed after a very dominant playoffs where he proved he wasn't a product of McDavid. With cap percentage, the comparable that Drai and Chia settled on was Kopitar's first RFA deal. In the short term, his deal's starting point could have been Tarasenko, Johansen and Kuznetzov, with Drai being rightfully priced above them for what was proven at that time.

But btw I don't think the Tavares signing is bad, if you are getting flack for it being overpriced. I do think Tavares is a bit overrated, but for a UFA mercenary it's better than us paying 6 million for Lucic
Your post seems reasonable and that's not allowed. You should be banned for your rational thoughts.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Yah well Barzal is the real deal no doubt about it. People will predict the famous Sophomore slump and plus harder matchups, the latter will be good for him, can’t see him having a sophomore slump persay* his skating ability is too legit. Are they going to just promote that whole line to 1st?

Any word on Wahlstrom and Dobson? Will they make it right out of camp?

@SI90

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yah well Barzal is the real deal no doubt about it. People will predict the famous Sophomore slump and plus harder matchups, the latter will be good for him, can’t see him having a sophomore slump persay* his skating ability is too legit. Are they going to just promote that whole line to 1st?

Any word on Wahlstrom and Dobson? Will they make it right out of camp?

@SI90

Barzal is now the #1 center and I think he can handle it. He won’t ever be the goal scoring center that Tavares was/is but he still contributes as much or even more offensively.

As far as Wahlstrom and Dobson I think both will be at least another year away. Wahlstrom could probably play in the NHL now but I don’t think it’s wise to rush him unless he absolutely blows the isles away in preseason. The best route for him I think is similar to Boeser. 1 and done.

Defensman usually take longer but Dobson has the skills and skating ability to turn pro in a hurry. He’s really smart as well. I think he needs to fill out his frame a bit more but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him make the isles as a 19 year old in the 19/20 season.

Reactions: Dzonna

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Find it funny how Tavares and overrated have only been used in the same sentence since July 1st.

Never heard anyone call him overrated until he signed with the Maple Leafs

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Find it funny how Tavares and overrated have only been used in the same sentence since July 1st.

Never heard anyone call him overrated until he signed with the Maple Leafs
he's an elite player. The word "overrated" might be a good candidate for that thread on "phrases you hate". I only say he's overrated because people talk about him as being equal to the top centers in the league. His stats don't bear that out. He's a bit worse than Stamkos.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
he's an elite player. The word "overrated" might be a good candidate for that thread on "phrases you hate". I only say he's overrated because people talk about him as being equal to the top centers in the league. His stats don't bear that out. He's a bit worse than Stamkos.

Well I guess that depends on what you mean by “the top centers in the league”

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

Can you please post where stats show he is not a top-C in the league? I don't think I've seen anyone argue that before.

Reactions: Voight and bionic

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He probably means Crosby, Malkin and McDavid. Because other than those three, Tavares is better than or equal to the rest of them.

He has to be top 10. Prob top 5 of his generation(2005-2010). Hard to compare Matthews/eichel etc

Crosby. Malkin. Stamkos. Tavares.

Stammer has more hardware but is a trigger man. JT is better downlow etc. Similar overall.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can you please post where stats show he is not a top-C in the league? I don't think I've seen anyone argue that before.
all I mean by that is that for a player who's identity is his goal scoring, I'd think that 40 goals should be his baseline, just based on how much he's being paid now. He's nearly for several years, but has been in that 30-40 goal pace area. It would be like if Bergeron got that amount. I get that he's an incredible talent, but Doughty just signed for 11 million and he's at the top of his field, and Karlsson will likely get around there. But I get it. He's a UFA merc

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
all I mean by that is that for a player who's identity is his goal scoring, I'd think that 40 goals should be his baseline, just based on how much he's being paid now. He's nearly for several years, but has been in that 30-40 goal pace area. It would be like if Bergeron got that amount. I get that he's an incredible talent, but Doughty just signed for 11 million and he's at the top of his field, and Karlsson will likely get around there. But I get it. He's a UFA merc

I mean, he has scored .92 points per game over his career, and .98 the last 5 years. He's had nobody notable to sponge off of, he's the driver. Great faceoff numbers, kills penalties. Complete player, in his prime. He left money on the table at 11M.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Last two seasons Marleau is a +5, Kane is a -26. Although Marleau did have the advantage of playing on a sound defensive team last season.
the leafs are far from a sound defensive team. they are a tire fire in their own zone

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
Isles fans are mad that JT lied to them.

Mats said. “I don’t want to go to another team halfway through a season”..... only to sign with another team halfway through the season

What mats did was worse because he held a meeting and convinced the rest of the team not to waive. #muskoka5

Mats was a true #1 Class Player and was the epitome of a Great Captain. Mats set a few franchise records and he rarely had good players on his line. He was a Swede but bled blue and white. All he wanted was to retire a Leaf. He left alot of money on the table playing for the Leafs. He negotiated a NO TRADE...he didn't want to play for any other team. When the time cam management kicked him in the but and refused to resign him and asked him to waive his NO TRADE. Can you imagine how he felt after wearing his heart on his sleeve for all those years... that they refused to let him retire as a LEAF!!
When he went to play in Vancouver he left his heart in Toronto...he didn't want to play there he was just mad and wanted to get back at management...not the FANS...he loved Toronto Fans. Canucks paid him 10 million dollars and offered him another 10 million to play the next season but Mats refused.
Don't say shame on you Mats...I say shame on Leafs management for treating a player like Mats that way.
Yes..shame on you Mats for loving our city and playing your heart out for our team.

Last edited:

HC7

May 2, 2018
I don't know why Lou or Trotz are still talking about him.

Stop tampering, he doesn't belong to you. Same with Isles fans, you don't see Leaf fans talking about Isles players. Worry about your own team.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Even by superstar standards, John Tavares may be underrated.

Goals above replacement since 2015 per 82 games put him as a top 5 forward in the NHL. He's underrated if anything, not overrated. I suggest you give the article a read.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sorry, but paying someone based off of a small playoff sample has almost never worked.

This is a guy who looks like a 50-60 point 2C when he's separated from McDavid and he's getting paid like Tarasenko, Kopitar, Johansen and Kuznetsov?

To be fair, Johansen literally is a 50-60 point 2C

Even by superstar standards, John Tavares may be underrated.

Goals above replacement since 2015 per 82 games put him as a top 5 forward in the NHL. He's underrated if anything, not overrated. I suggest you give the article a read.

Ain’t nobody paying for a subscription to The Athletic to see some guy copy and paste a questionable metric that lists ROR as a top-20 center

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Mats was a true #1 Class Player and was the epitome of a Great Captain. Mats set a few franchise records and he rarely had good players on his line. He was a Swede but bled blue and white. All he wanted was to retire a Leaf. He left alot of money on the table playing for the Leafs. He negotiated a NO TRADE...he didn't want to play for any other team. When the time cam management kicked him in the but and refused to resign him and asked him to waive his NO TRADE. Can you imagine how he felt after wearing his heart on his sleeve for all those years... that they refused to let him retire as a LEAF!!
When he went to play in Vancouver he left his heart in Toronto...he didn't want to play there he was just mad and wanted to get back at management...not the FANS...he loved Toronto Fans. Canucks paid him 10 million dollars and offered him another 10 million to play the next season but Mats refused.
Don't say shame on you Mats...I say shame on Leafs management for treating a player like Mats that way.
Yes..shame on you Mats for loving our city and playing your heart out for our team.

I think you are missing the point. He “lied” to the leafs, no one burned his jersey or lost their minds like this. He is in the rafters and loved.

The fan response to this is ridiculous

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
He probably means Crosby, Malkin and McDavid. Because other than those three, Tavares is better than or equal to the rest of them.

Tavares is definitely not overrated and he is elite and Toronto is lucky to have him but I don’t think he is better than some other centers besides the top 3. I’d rank Kopitar , Kuznetsov, Stamkos ahead of him . He’s equal to Seguin , Mackinnon but he’s barely entering his prime so he should be bringing the heat now I just don’t see him surpassing Kopitar the game is more than just stats and Kopi led the league for ATOI for all forwards and is one of the best if not the best 200 ft players .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad