Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i'm fine with it. that's starter money - Lou put his stake in the ground . Bernier's gone, and move on.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Just got out of jail to see we made the trade and signing. Happy with it.

Got out just in time to see us draft Matthews

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Just got out of jail to see we made the trade and signing. Happy with it.

Got out just in time to see us draft Matthews

lol?

Nice signing. Like Daisy said, it's starting goalie money. Andersen is a good goalie and deserves it.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm still a big fan of Bernier, but the decision has obviously been made. I hope that Lou has already contacted Calgary and told them that we got the goalie you guys wanted, but are willing to deal Bernier.

It seems like the second round pick is going to be Leaf's choice (aka worst pick as of next year), so if we can deal Bernier for a 2nd it'll be like trading a ~35 pick + Bernier for Andersen which is great.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Lou seems to have a "No price is too high" philosophy, here, regarding both the trade and the contract. I'm mostly kidding, btw, before Andersen fans get overly upset. On a more serious note, this is a big commitment to make. On the homerun side of the deal, we might have gotten ourselves an excellent deal. On the sad side, we might have just saddled ourselves with an albatross of a contract.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
Sign Demers and maybe we are a decent team?

JVR-Stamkos-Marner
Nylander-Matthews-Soshnikov
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Greening-Bozak-Laich
Hyman

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick
Corrado/Hunwick

Anderson
Bernier

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I have seen enough of Anderson to be comfortable with both the picks and this salary.

Anaheim fans also are nearly unanimous on the fact they'll think he'll excel in Toronto and be able to live up to his expectations.

Should he continue to play and become a very good young #1 goaltender, then that $5m price tag will be a more than fair amount.

Lou gathered plenty of picks, and we absolutely weren't keeping them all, so to fill an absolute need while slightly "overpaying" for an asset we absolutely needed, then I am fine with that.

We saw how quickly Lou accumulated those picks, and I have no doubt that he'll be able to do so in the future should we need to continue to infuse our prospect cupboards with more assets.

At some point this was going to have to happen, and I am content with it happening now.

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016
Who cares about the cap hit, guys? WE GOT AUSTON MATTHEWS!

Now we have a #1 goalie. Trust me guys, Andersen is the real deal.

He's way better than Reimer, Bernier, Toskala or Raycroft.

Unproven, but he's still a great goalie. We've seen unproven guys like Jones, Schneider, Bishop, Anderson all get traded when they were unproven, to eventually be Top-15 goalies

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Goalies are far too unpredictable for me to be happy about this. I hope it works out.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I have seen enough of Anderson to be comfortable with both the picks and this salary.

Anaheim fans also are nearly unanimous on the fact they'll think he'll excel in Toronto and be able to live up to his expectations.

Should he continue to play and become a very good young #1 goaltender, then that $5.5m price tag will be a more than fair amount.

Lou gathered plenty of picks, and we absolutely weren't keeping them all, so to fill an absolute need while slightly "overpaying" for an asset we absolutely needed, then I am fine with that.

We saw how quickly Lou accumulated those picks, and I have no doubt that he'll be able to do so in the future should we need to continue to infuse our prospect cupboards with more assets.

At some point this was going to have to happen, and I am content with it happening now.

You make a reasonable argument. Personally, I accept it, but I don't love it. Maybe I'll come to love it. It did have to happen sometime, but I was happy to wait a couple of years and maybe try out a few more longshot options.

I really think the most likely option is that he turns out to be a fairly average starter who is getting a fairly average salary. But I hope not. I hope he'll be great. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad