Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great deal and the guy I was hoping that the TML were targeting. 5x5 is a great deal that was one year away from UFA.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Still not sold on the deal, but I'm more or less comfortable with the cap hit and term.

Now... somebody please find out what 2nd we're going to have to give up next year.

Buttery

Feb 21, 2015
UK
Excited about the trade itself, especially the fact Ducks fans are generally supportive.

Term and AAV not sure, but as soon as we traded for him he became a number 1 so....

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Excited about the trade itself, especially the fact Ducks fans are generally supportive.

Term and AAV not sure, but as soon as we traded for him he became a number 1 so....

Trade may be okay- we'll see- but I've personally never cared what the other team's fans say on HFBoards. I just don't think their opinion is likely to be a good indicator.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Goalies are far too unpredictable for me to be happy about this. I hope it works out.

Especially considering our history of poor trades when goalies are involved - Toskalol, Raycroft, and, to a much less painful extent, Bernier

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I posted my views on the other Anderson thread on this move which directly relates to the draft.

I personally view this as;

#30 --- Anderson (locked up for term)
#31 --- Now have the ability to take a skilled player who's dropped, instead of Carter Hart etc.

Now obviously we lost a 2nd rounder, but that should be the least of everyone's concerns considering how easily Lou accumulated these picks.

I like this move, and like the idea of now not having to take Hart with one of our 2nd rounders this year.

We'll see the staff continue to go for best skill available at each choice IMO.

While I agree with most of these points, I don't think the trade should discourage the Leafs from drafting a high upside goalie with one of their 2nd's. Freddy might only be here a maximum of 5 years and this is roughly the amount of time a drafted goaltender would take to develop into a #1. Plus you never know if Freddy will fall on his face in Toronto or develop injury concerns. Frederik Andersen here or not, Leafs still need much more organizational depth at the goaltender position.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Good deal, Leaf's cap projections long-term had us slotting in our goalie at about 6m AAV. So if Andersen maintains his current play, he's already an above average deal. If he continues to grow and get better, it may end up being a good one.

Ultimately though, it's about market value.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Don't know how comfortable I am giving that kind of money to a guy who posted just okay numbers on a team that gave up less than 200 goals.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
While I agree with most of these points, I don't think the trade should discourage the Leafs from drafting a high upside goalie with one of their 2nd's. Freddy might only be here a maximum of 5 years and this is roughly the amount of time a drafted goaltender would take to develop into a #1. Plus you never know if Freddy will fall on his face in Toronto or develop injury concerns. Frederik Andersen here or not, Leafs still need much more organizational depth at the goaltender position.

Oh I absolutely agree, I just didnt want Hart or Gustavsson at #31.

I think I would target a goaltender at #57 or #62.

Hart and Gustavsson likely dont drop that far, but crazier things have happened.

Despite the team that was in front of him, I also see the potential in Parsons who SHOULD be within range of 55-65.

Fitzpatrick being another potential option at #62.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We're up there. Definitely can't afford Stamkos as of now. Of course a trade or two can easily fix that.

around 10 million in space once we buyout Cowen and put Horton on LTIR based on cap friendly numbers. Which easily becomes enough room for Stamkos if we traded Bernier or Bozak. Or is Michalek decided to leave for the Czech Republic

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
We're up there. Definitely can't afford Stamkos as of now. Of course a trade or two can easily fix that.

"Easily" might not be quite right. This could be a tough year to move out salary. Maybe Bozak.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I think he'll be an "average" starter at the very least, and is now locked up at an "average" starting salary for 5 years.

Should he exceed being average, which many around the NHL believe he should since he has ALL of the tools to do so, then Leaf fans will love this deal.

Many fans were calling for Carter Hart at #31, just one spot below our #30.

Leafs no longer will have to make such a move at #31 for a goalie and therefor will have the freedom to take a skilled player that drops there as opposed to taking a goalie at #31 whom may or may not develop and take 3-5 years while doing so.

Actually it may not be a bad idea to grab a young goalie with #31 still. If so, it should be the first goalie drafted so you get the best one in the draft (hopefully) and it will take about 5 years for them to develop

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
There are no goalies that are rated to go 1st round, so 30th pick + 2017 2nd for Anderson would look brilliant if the Leafs pick the top goalie 31st overall in the draft

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I think I'm happy with it. Price seems reasonable. I wouldn't have minded if we waited another year with Bernier to see how badly teams would start sweating about the expansion.. But then we could have lost this opportunity.
I was not a big fan of drafting a goalie this year though, (none of them have overly impressed me) so I'm happy we went the trade route instead.
I wonder what kind of value we can get for bernier? I hope we can flip him. Then we could bring up one of sparks/bibeau to play backup at different times of the season. Right now we have too much cap tied up with our goalies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Easily" might not be quite right. This could be a tough year to move out salary. Maybe Bozak.

The 30th place Leafs and the 3 time Stanley Cup champs Hawks have nearly identical spending now with less then $100k difference in free cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad