Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Who cares about the cap hit, guys? WE GOT AUSTON MATTHEWS!

Now we have a #1 goalie. Trust me guys, Andersen is the real deal.

He's way better than Reimer, Bernier, Toskala or Raycroft.

Unproven, but he's still a great goalie. We've seen unproven guys like Jones, Schneider, Bishop, Anderson all get traded when they were unproven, to eventually be Top-15 goalies

You left out the likes of Bernier :sarcasm:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Lots of money tied up in goal right now.

Good move to address the need. Not sure about a 5 year deal to a RFA before he even puts on the jersey.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Still need solid confirmation on which 2nd we traded next year and how much his salary is.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I really think the most likely option is that he turns out to be a fairly average starter who is getting a fairly average salary. But I hope not. I hope he'll be great. We'll see.

I think he'll be an "average" starter at the very least, and is now locked up at an "average" starting salary for 5 years.

Should he exceed being average, which many around the NHL believe he should since he has ALL of the tools to do so, then Leaf fans will love this deal.

Many fans were calling for Carter Hart at #31, just one spot below our #30.

Leafs no longer will have to make such a move at #31 for a goalie and therefor will have the freedom to take a skilled player that drops there as opposed to taking a goalie at #31 whom may or may not develop and take 3-5 years while doing so.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
And apparently we paid up 4 UFA years.
it makes a lot of sense now. lock it up for an affordable amount. he's done really well during the playoffs, and has been steady (some dips, and some highs, but steady). if he has amazing years (it's cheap) and if it sucks - then Lou makes it dispppear somehow.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I have seen enough of Anderson to be comfortable with both the picks and this salary.

Anaheim fans also are nearly unanimous on the fact they'll think he'll excel in Toronto and be able to live up to his expectations.

Should he continue to play and become a very good young #1 goaltender, then that $5m price tag will be a more than fair amount.

Lou gathered plenty of picks, and we absolutely weren't keeping them all, so to fill an absolute need while slightly "overpaying" for an asset we absolutely needed, then I am fine with that.

We saw how quickly Lou accumulated those picks, and I have no doubt that he'll be able to do so in the future should we need to continue to infuse our prospect cupboards with more assets.

At some point this was going to have to happen, and I am content with it happening now.

WELCOME BACK CHUCK

Great post, I couldn't agree more.

What are your thoughts on everything draft related?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I would take "average" but consistent play over what the Leafs have had to deal with the past several years.

It's up to management and Babcock to make sure to put a good defensive minded team in front of Andersen in order to make sure he doesn't have to do things on his own.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
I have seen enough of Anderson to be comfortable with both the picks and this salary.

Anaheim fans also are nearly unanimous on the fact they'll think he'll excel in Toronto and be able to live up to his expectations.

Should he continue to play and become a very good young #1 goaltender, then that $5m price tag will be a more than fair amount.

Lou gathered plenty of picks, and we absolutely weren't keeping them all, so to fill an absolute need while slightly "overpaying" for an asset we absolutely needed, then I am fine with that.

We saw how quickly Lou accumulated those picks, and I have no doubt that he'll be able to do so in the future should we need to continue to infuse our prospect cupboards with more assets.

At some point this was going to have to happen, and I am content with it happening now.
agreed 100%

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016
Leafs no longer will have to make such a move at #31 for a goalie and therefor will have the freedom to take a skilled player that drops there as opposed to taking a goalie at #31 whom may or may not develop and take 3-5 years while doing so.

Leafs should still try and get a goalie with one of their first 5 picks. You can never have too many goalie prospects.

And worst case scenario, we won't be without any young goalies in the case Andersen falters, and be in this same position years from now (see: Toskala) (see: Bernier)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m1 minute ago
Andersen's AAV is $5M on the button. $25M total value for five years.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
And apparently we paid up 4 UFA years.
it makes a lot of sense now. lock it up for an affordable amount. he's done really well during the playoffs, and has been steady (some dips, and some highs, but steady). if he has amazing years (it's cheap) and if it sucks - then Lou makes it dispppear somehow.

I'm okay with the deal- mostly in a "wait-and-see" kinda way. But this myth that Lou can make money "disappear" is just silly. If Andersen tanks, we're in trouble.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
the NMC makes me itchy.
Just scratch a little and you'll be fine :).

Obviously I don't love handing those out, but a small amount of them doesn't bother me either. I get why guys negotiate hard to get those so they can be more relaxed about where they go.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
WELCOME BACK CHUCK

Great post, I couldn't agree more.

What are your thoughts on everything draft related?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I posted my views on the other Anderson thread on this move which directly relates to the draft.

I personally view this as;

#30 --- Anderson (locked up for term)
#31 --- Now have the ability to take a skilled player who's dropped, instead of Carter Hart etc.

Now obviously we lost a 2nd rounder, but that should be the least of everyone's concerns considering how easily Lou accumulated these picks.

I like this move, and like the idea of now not having to take Hart with one of our 2nd rounders this year.

We'll see the staff continue to go for best skill available at each choice IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad