Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F William Nylander signs extension with the Maple Leafs (8 years, $11.5M AAV, NMC)

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
LOL at all the people suggesting that the Maple Leafs should now trade Nylander.

The time to do that was before the contract extension was signed.

If you trade him now, then nobody will ever want to sign with Toronto ever again because management will have shown that they can't be trusted.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
LOL at all the people suggesting that the Maple Leafs should now trade Nylander.

If you trade him now, then nobody will ever want to sign with Toronto ever again because management will have shown that they can't be trusted.
Players get traded all the time and Toronto is a desirable destination this isn't Edmonton or anything which has harder time attracting FA's

Jul 10, 2003
KW
If Winnipeg got what they got for Dubois, imagine what the Leafs could have gotten. A top prospect, a good forward, a good D, a better goalie.
i don't think Nylander would have been open to a sign and trade, and if he was, it would have been to a very select few teams and the $$ demands would have scared off most suitors. He was always going to milk that ufa leverage to it's fullest.

Reactions: uncleben

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

If he took a discount to stay in Toronto than yes it would be a shady move to trade him but since he signed for market value it’s fair game to trade him.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
i don't think Nylander would have been open to a sign and trade, and if he was, it would have been to a very select few teams and the $$ demands would have scared off most suitors. He was always going to milk that ufa leverage to it's fullest.

Does UFA have that much leverage?

Toronto had to adopt the mindset of flipping the script, hold firm, and put the fear in him of "what if" those equivalent offers don't come in the 7 year range? You want to risk that

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Does UFA have that much leverage?

Toronto had to adopt the mindset of flipping the script, hold firm, and put the fear in him of "what if" those equivalent offers don't come in the 7 year range? You want to risk that

The leverage he has, he can sign for less money while taking home more money outside of Canada. Toronto had to overpay a couple million to level the playing field. We know by now the Nylander camp would do whatever they have to to get what they want. You’re not wrong though, Leaf’s might have been better off letting him test the market, we do have that 8th year to offer. Leafs management doesn’t have the balls to play chicken with the Nylanders.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Pre-Contract: 37GP - 21G - 33A - 1.46 PPG
Post-Contract: 10GP - 2G - 5A - .7 PPG

Is he injured or have they been playing better teams in the last 10. I’m sure he’ll bounce back and end the season at or above a ppg.

Is a sub 100 point winger worth 11.5 though?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd be interested in what Have fans think of this and I'm also not sure how much Leafs fan would want this deal but maybe Ghule is a big enough fish here for them.
Not at that cap hit, no thanks. I think Nylander can be a real good player when he's on, but I wouldn't give up Guhle+ after this contract.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The leverage he has, he can sign for less money while taking home more money outside of Canada. Toronto had to overpay a couple million to level the playing field. We know by now the Nylander camp would do whatever they have to to get what they want. You’re not wrong though, Leaf’s might have been better off letting him test the market, we do have that 8th year to offer. Leafs management doesn’t have the balls to play chicken with the Nylanders.

The 8th year goes away once he hits the market.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think the question Leafs fans have is "Why do most stars sign reasonable contracts to remain with their teams, while the homegrown stars in Toronto insist on maximizing their earning potential by squeezing every last nickel out of the organization during negotiations?"

Reactions: Rangers ftw

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Is he injured or have they been playing better teams in the last 10. I’m sure he’ll bounce back and end the season at or above a ppg.

Is a sub 100 point winger worth 11.5 though?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Probably human element? You just signed the contract that not only secures the life of your immediate family but the lives of your kids families.

Probably going to open that bottle you were holding on to. Maybe buy a house. It's up to him if he is Goudreau or Hughes now

Mar 26, 2010
Overpaid $1.5M-$2M. Can not change it now. Willy is a quality player that makes any team better he is on. $9.5M is where his contract should have landed.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think the question Leafs fans have is "Why do most stars sign reasonable contracts to remain with their teams, while the homegrown stars in Toronto insist on maximizing their earning potential by squeezing every last nickel out of the organization during negotiations?"

I’ve been asking myself this question every day since the rfa deals were signed. Back then, I believed they demanded more money because Babcock was traumatizing them, so I gave them a bit of pass. Not so much anymore, at this point I’m disappointed that the stars have prioritized dollars over championships. It will be a sad legacy if the me3 doesn’t bring a cup to Toronto.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
He was 0+1, -2 in 2 games (11 mins TOI) of 3 v 3 hockey at the all-star
(for example DeBrincat was 4+3 and +4, FYI DeBrincat's cap hit is 7,8 mill)

Jesus christ... At the All-star? We should banish him to Siberia!

Seriously, who cares how players perform during the party week of all-star games?

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad