Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F William Nylander signs extension with the Maple Leafs (8 years, $11.5M AAV, NMC)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Should have traded him and get great pieces in return and solve a lot of their problems. Their issue has always been depth and they have refused to adress it once again. Now they are gonna be stuck forever with too much money on a limited few players. New GM, Same mistakes.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Should have traded him and get great pieces in return and solve a lot of their problems. Their issue has always been depth and they have refused to adress it once again. Now they are gonna be stuck forever with too much money on a limited few players. New GM, Same mistakes.

What sort of “great pieces” do you think they would have received??

History indicates a late 1st + b prospect + cap dump type return.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You have to give credit to Nylander’s agent. The guy should hold a masterclass in negotiating. He got the Leafs to agree 6 years ago on December 1 to have Nylander higher paid than his comparables at the time Pastranak, Ehlers, and Larkin. Puts up a 27 pts season after signing. 2nd time around Nylander signs, will make more than Pastranak and Tkachuk. Who I doubt any GM would take Nylander over, that will also put him within of 1M of the best 2 players in the game in Mackinnon and McDavid. Give his agent credit, that is highway robbery.
They had no CHOICE. None. The Leafs HAD to do this, man.

There was no other option. Don't you get it?

/sarcasm

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Nylander pulled off a Darren Waller.

Work his butt off for the first couple of years, then when it comes to a brand new contract plays hard then signs an extension.

He’s been dogging it since, the man cashed in and dipped.

Thankfully he won’t put out shitty rap tracks like Darren Waller, who’s an absolute BUM!

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Nylander pulled off a Darren Waller.

Work his butt off for the first couple of years, then when it comes to a brand new contract plays hard then signs an extension.

He’s been dogging it since, the man cashed in and dipped.

Thankfully he won’t put out shitty rap tracks like Darren Waller, who’s an absolute BUM!
It’s been like a week.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It’s been like a week.

I said the same thing about Waller, then he got ‘injured’, celebrated with his wive during her WNBA parade jumping up and down when he should’ve been resting his ‘injured’ legs.

Then the Raiders started to win without him, then he all of a sudden comes back ‘healthy’. Raiders lose again and he’s ‘injured’ again.

Glorified BUM!

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well I would assume Leafs fans would talk mostly about the Leafs cause its the team they follow the most. That would be being a fan. People who are fans of another teams that live to troll the team on a daily basis and make more posts about Toronto then anything else would have a case of LDS.
View attachment 805241
The only ones fitting the definition of derangement are the ones who think this deal is any good.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The Leafs are really screwed if the cap doesn’t go up fast enough.

I wonder how the negotiation process went? Did Nylander just ask for 8x $11.5M and they said “Done”?

Did they not attempt to lower the number at all?

His agent likely jokingly said he deserves at least a million more per year than Jonathan Huberdeau. Just picture Treliving blank stare nodding in agreement

• Haha
Reactions: jcs0218

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Probably true but what team trades for him unless it's a sign and trade and what do they get back?

I really think and this might not even be possible with the way the Flames have picked up their pace, that a trade for Tanev, like Cowan could give them the boost they need but they also seem destined to be the San Jose Sharks that couldn't get over the hump.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Winnipeg got what they got for Dubois, imagine what the Leafs could have gotten. A top prospect, a good forward, a good D, a better goalie.
You are over estimating what the Jets got though as Kupari is a fringe NHLer, Alex Iafallo is a good 3rd line type and Gabriel Vilardi, who I had over EP40 in the draft, has had a very good year...when healthy.

I'm not sure what example you can give of a team giving a top prospect, good forward, good D and a better goalie for Nylander realistically.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Probably true but what team trades for him unless it's a sign and trade and what do they get back?

I really think and this might not even be possible with the way the Flames have picked up their pace, that a trade for Tanev, like Cowan could give them the boost they need but they also seem destined to be the San Jose Sharks that couldn't get over the hump.

It would have to be a sign and trade of course. They could focus on having a potential Top D along with a good forward(but not as great as Nylander of course) then a top prospect and a solid goalie that would solve their issues there.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It would have to be a sign and trade of course. They could focus on having a potential Top D along with a good forward(but not as great as Nylander of course) then a top prospect and a solid goalie that would solve their issues there.
Can you throw out any example of this though?

Like what team would give those 4 things even in a sign and trade with the Leafs.

Part of the Winnipeg/LA trade was that the Kings have excellent prospects and could trade those players and they felt a perceived need for another Big center (they now have 3) for a playoff run.

It's not as easy saying these 4 pieces for Willy.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You are over estimating what the Jets got though as Kupari is a fringe NHLer, Alex Iafallo is a good 3rd line type and Gabriel Vilardi, who I had over EP40 in the draft, has had a very good year...when healthy.

I'm not sure what example you can give of a team giving a top prospect, good forward, good D and a better goalie for Nylander realistically.

He's an elite forward in this league which are rare to find, I don't think it's unrealistic. Maybe something around Ghule, Evans, Beck, Primeau and throw in Monahan for good measures. The Leafs really need depth. It would give them an influx of many players able to be used for different needs. Ghule and Primeau would be the keys, of course.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm just making an observation. Would you like to try the LDS challenge also?
If you want to pretend that the Leafs constantly handing out some of the biggest contracts in the league for such little team success isn't a big deal in the league because people are talking about it hurts your feelings that's up to you. Keep obsessing over it. Or go back to the Leafs board where there is more of the same. Maybe whining there will help.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If you want to pretend that the Leafs constantly handing out some of the biggest contracts in the league for such little team success isn't a big deal in the league because people are talking about it hurts your feelings that's up to you. Keep obsessing over it. Or go back to the Leafs board where there is more of the same. Maybe whining there will help.
Nah. It's more everyone come on in and give their opinion and even have a friendly debate. I'm talking about the same handful of people that are clearly just here to troll. It seems to have struck a nerve with you that some leafs fan would dare make a comment about this. It's easy to see the difference between the two types of posters....

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
they also seem destined to be the San Jose Sharks that couldn't get over the hump.
The San Jose Sharks haven't made the playoffs in 5 years, they've still won more playoff series than Toronto in that time span

Toronto's problems are deeper than the Sharks' ever were at their peak, the 2023 team was the only roster in this current run that was ever built to be a playoff threat and they lost a lot of the key pieces that made that team different, especially O'Reilly

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They had no CHOICE. None. The Leafs HAD to do this, man.

There was no other option. Don't you get it?

/sarcasm
They have no choice, who else is going to pile up points against Columbus or SJ? Seriously, if this thread could be open for 8 years, it would be. Nylander has been notoriously a streaky player. He will inevitably put up some pts, maybe as soon as tomorrow night in Calgary and all will be quiet, he will inevitably have scoreless streaks and this thread will jump to life. If he were a 7-8M cap hit, it wouldn't be a Main Board topic, but he is making 11.5 for the next 8 years. A lot of the money front loaded too. The guy backed up the brinks truck off a strong first half.Now he is pointless in 4 games since signing. He's got a microscope on him. You would love a guy after signing with an even more burning desire to prove it was a good signing. Last time he signed a big contract, he put up a 27 pts season. At 11.5 x 8, he's got to be a better than PPG player. He doesn't hit, he doesn't inspire like a Tkachuk, he doesn't bring a lot of intangibles other than scoring. So if he is not consistently producing at a very high rate, he will be a target for criticism. He's no Tkachuk, Kucherov or Pastranak facing 1st D pairings. With a big contract, comes scrutiny and pressure to produce. This will be Nylander for the next 8 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: T REX

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's an elite forward in this league which are rare to find, I don't think it's unrealistic. Maybe something around Ghule, Evans, Beck, Primeau and throw in Monahan for good measures. The Leafs really need depth. It would give them an influx of many players able to be used for different needs. Ghule and Primeau would be the keys, of course.
I'd be interested in what Have fans think of this and I'm also not sure how much Leafs fan would want this deal but maybe Ghule is a big enough fish here for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00