Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That's not usually the case. Toews had massive health issues. What about Crosby? Or Malkin? Or Ovechkin? Not worth the money at 34?

What? Malkin literally earns less now than he did during his 8 year deal - is that not a sign of a decline?

I'd say Tavares is not worth 11M today, neither is Karlsson.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Sorry but 4 years for your franchise player? Yikes, this gonna age so bad.
That being said, Hey, he is a leaf for awhile, so good for the fans in the meantime
He has more term currently than Quinn Hughes… so there’s that….
4 years plus his remaining year means 5 years of having a top 3-5 guy locked in.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
the leafs got 5 more years of matthews he walks as a free agent at 31 it’s not the worst but I was hoping for at least 5. kind of annoyed that he won’t sign long term . it feels as if he dose not care about winning he just wants to continue to reup and get the bag.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
And you guys will be doing the same when McDavid chooses not to go to Toronto in a few years.

Trust me, I was never one to believe that fairytale many of the people on here tried to peddle.

Its super rare for superstars to lead in free agency, let alone at his age. Knew he'd stay in Toronto.

Reactions: PuckG

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Max term is a disadvantage at 26, not an advantage. Do you think Toews was worth 10.5M last year, or the year before?

They paid more to get him at his prime before the decline. However, they shouldn't be paying for years he sucks like Chicago had to with Toews.
Oh. You mean Toews who sacrificed his body to win championships?

Yeah. Very similar style of play. Good point 🤣

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Gets to really cash in, in 4 years from now.

At that point he'll still be 29 or 30 so teams will still be willing to go max term, and the cap will be anywhere from $15-20M higher then it is today.

Assuming he doesn't regress hard, he signs for like 7x$18M as a UFA in 4 years on the open market probably. Or maybe stays with Toronto for like 8x$16.5M sort of thing.
I'm still not honestly surprised most players don't go this route, after what they have now just seen what happened with Landeskog. Hockey is a sport where, with bad luck, a career altering or even ending injury can really happen any night.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a fair deal. Dude is certainly maximizing his return, he should get the same for another eight, so 12 years north of 13, million pretty saucy.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Obviously would liked it to be longer, but he's locked up for another 5 years in his prime, and for that I am happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad