Proposal: TOR - EDM

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Oilers can’t afford to quit on Broberg, they need him to turn out to be at least a very solid 2nd pairing guy. The alternative is flipping Broberg in a package for a high level need. To me the only high level need the Oilers need is a very solid defensive RHD who can take Ceci’s role next to Nurse.

Robertson has done well with limited opportunities but not a guy I would want to move Broberg for.
you can have Brodie at a discount ...he's a LFD that plays better as a RHD

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I'm just saying the guy has the right toolset to be a weapon on a PP that is distracted by two all-world players. He'd get looks and that shot is an absolute weapon.
Fair enough, but if he's selling point to the Oilers would be top PP unit, that doesn't really work. We'd want someone who can contribute in the top 6 and help create offence for the second PP unit without McDrai.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Word is the Oilers organization sees Broberg as nhl ready but don’t have the space for him. Stauffer has mentioned a few times the idea of moving Kulak out in order to make room for Broberg.
Ok so you wouldn't trade a player that is a potentially NHL ready D for a forward scoring at a 0.45 point per game pace while averaging less than 11:00 per game? Said player isn't NHL ready he has already played 62 regular season games and 4 more in the playoffs, he IS an NHL player right now.

I get the second pert of your argument, but his first part is silly.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Word is the Oilers organization sees Broberg as nhl ready but don’t have the space for him. Stauffer has mentioned a few times the idea of moving Kulak out in order to make room for Broberg.

Even if that wasn’t the case, Oilers have ZERO use for a player like Robertson. Broberg, if moved, would be moved for a player that helps the team today.
The Oilers could just shove Sam Gagner at RW(who's actually a right shot) and keep Broberg who's getting the Holland special by over-ripening in the minors

Reactions: spaghtti

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Ok so you wouldn't trade a player that is a potentially NHL ready D for a forward scoring at a 0.45 point per game pace while averaging less than 11:00 per game? Said player isn't NHL ready he has already played 62 regular season games and 4 more in the playoffs, he IS an NHL player right now.

I get the second pert of your argument, but his first part is silly.
Context matters, Kulak currently sits in the spot where Broberg would easily slot into. Problem is, nhl head coaches are unlikely to choose the young d man making league minimum and doesn’t require going through waivers to be sent down when there is a vet making 2.75m. Coaches will always favour the veteran when it’s easier to send Broberg down . He’s also playing very well in the AHL by all accounts, hence why they’re trying to make room for him in the NHL by making a move.

Isn’t Robertson having trouble staying in the Leafs lineup on a daily basis? Not that it matters, he wouldn’t even crack our top 9 and unlikely to replace anyone on our 4th line as they are ALL penalty killers. Not saying this trade makes sense for the Leafs but it 1000000% does not make sense for the Oilers.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Either trade Kulak and put Broberg in the lineup with a lower cap hit on the left side or make him a piece in a trade for an impact player. I wouldn't trade him one for one for a guy that would really not improve their odds of competing for the Cup this season.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
You don't see Kulack as an upgrade on Giordano at this stage of his career, or Simon Benoit?

I, uh, have to respectfully disagree.

Toronto also has three pending UFAs on the back end including Gio, and having a signed Kulack makes sense for this year and after.
Kulak at his salary versus benoit at his no not at all

Benoit has played very well in the role that kulak is - 3LD.. so no

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Can you describe what he provides that warrants 2 million dollars extra in the same role?

Kulak at his salary versus benoit at his no not at all

Benoit has played very well in the role that kulak is - 3LD.. so no

Well, Kulack is playing behind Ekholm and Nurse. He's been really good. If you don't believe Oiler fans, ask Montreal fans. When Edmonton acquired him they had nothing but good things to say about Kulack.

Benoit has had an up and down season in Toronto. He's been a healthy scratch and has bounced between the big club and the Marlies. Kulack is and has been a full time NHLer.

So yes he is an upgrade on Gio and Benoit, but if you disagree that's okay.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
You don't see Kulack as an upgrade on Giordano at this stage of his career, or Simon Benoit?

I, uh, have to respectfully disagree.

Toronto also has three pending UFAs on the back end including Gio, and having a signed Kulack makes sense for this year and after.
Giordano, absolutely. But Benoit has been awesome for us.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Id rather keep Robertson. He'll contribute more this year. I'm not sure Broberg would be in our healthy top 6 D. Especially since we will probably add a vet or 2

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Giordano, absolutely. But Benoit has been awesome for us.

He's getting minutes in 2024, that's for sure. Good for him. The guy is willing to sacrifice his body to block a shot or lay out a hit. Nothing wrong with that.

Kulack is a nice add on the left side. So if he allows Gio to sit it's still a win for Toronto IMHO.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Benoit has had an up and down season in Toronto. He's been a healthy scratch and has bounced between the big club and the Marlies. Kulack is and has been a full time NHLer.

Absolutely false. He has not "bounced between", he had a bad camp, went down got called up and has solidified himself in the lineup since. He hasnt been up and down hes been up since he forced his way into the lineup with injuries.

Went down once, came back up and never went down again isn't bouncing.

Care to tell me the last time he was a healthy scratch, by the way?

Benoit isn't being replaced.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
That's just silly. Kulak is clearly a better player than Mark Giordano and the way Brodie has been playing he's better than him too.
Dont disagree with you there, necessarily but upgrading from Gio to Kulak isn't going to do anything at all but cost us more money. If Edmonton wants to do Kulak for Brodie straight up they are more than welcome but again, it doesnt really do jack shit for Toronto. Kulak isnt solving any problems here just like upgrading Brown/Holloway to Robertson doesn't solve a problem in Edmonton

Reactions: FerrisRox

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Absolutely false. He has not "bounced between", he had a bad camp, went down got called up and has solidified himself in the lineup since. He hasnt been up and down hes been up since he forced his way into the lineup with injuries.

Went down once, came back up and never went down again isn't bouncing.

Care to tell me the last time he was a healthy scratch, by the way?

Benoit isn't being replaced.

Dec 19 vs. the Rangers.

However if your point is he has really come on since then I agree. So I guess you could argue Benoit is playing better than Kulack, but I have to tell you the gap isn't as big as you think.

No one is saying replace Benoit. Where'd you get this idea? I just said adding Kulack is a win for Toronto.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Well, Kulack is playing behind Ekholm and Nurse. He's been really good. If you don't believe Oiler fans, ask Montreal fans. When Edmonton acquired him they had nothing but good things to say about Kulack.

:dunno: - appreciate the response even though you didn't answer my question. as far as i recall benoit came up and stayed

kulak would be behind rielly/mccabe.. for 2 extra million.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Dec 19 vs. the Rangers.

However if your point is he has really come on since then I agree. So I guess you could argue Benoit is playing better than Kulack, but I have to tell you the gap isn't as big as you think.

No one is saying replace Benoit. Where'd you get this idea? I just said adding Kulack is a win for Toronto.
So he hasnt been scratched this calender year, 20 games ago and you knew that and were being disingenuous when you said "bounced around and healthy scratched" or were you just not actually familiar with how well he has been playing in Toronto?

Kulak has no place on this defence. He's hardly an upgrade on Gio at more than twice the cost and Toronto certainly isnt giving up their very small amount of secondary scoring for the privilege of paying more cap for our bottom pairing.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:dunno: - appreciate the response even though you didn't answer my question. as far as i recall benoit came up and stayed

kulak would be behind rielly/mccabe.. for 2 extra million.

Benoit missed a game against the Rangers, but has played steadily since. You're right. Okay.

I see there are calls for an extension. Good for him!!

So he hasnt been scratched this calender year, 20 games ago and you knew that and were being disingenuous when you said "bounced around and healthy scratched" or were you just not actually familiar with how well he has been playing in Toronto?

Kulak has no place on this defence. He's hardly an upgrade on Gio at more than twice the cost and Toronto certainly isnt giving up their very small amount of secondary scoring for the privilege of paying more cap for our bottom pairing.

That's utter BS.

I was not familiar with how good he has been in 2024 for Toronto. I was a bit out of touch about that.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Benoit missed a game against the Rangers, but has played steadily since. You're right. Okay.

I see there are calls for an extension. Good for him!!

That's utter BS.

I was not familiar with how good he has been in 2024 for Toronto. I was a bit out of touch about that.
But this is what I'm asking you how do you justify two extra million? What does a team get from a third pairing defenseman that is worth two more extra million dollars? Like literally does he poke check better does he pass harder what does he do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad