Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] F Denis Malgin for F Dryden Hunt

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Leafs GM Gord Stellick traded Russ Courtnall for John Kordic back in 1989 and I still haven't gotten over it, :wg: The lopsidedness of the original Marchment for Malgin rivals this one.

Leafs traded a player Mason Marchment that has produced 120 games 29 goals 50 assists 79 points ----> Denis Malgin 31 games 2 goals 2 assists 4 points ----> Dryden Hunt who after being claimed off waivers has produced in 28 games 2 goal 0 assists and 2 points. That is not all that easy to let go !!

Just think of the possibilities of different the Leafs top 6 would look with Marchment patrolling LW with either Matthews & Nylander or Tavares and Marner. He would provide the main missing ingredient from the top 6 and that is push back ability and protection and grit. Leafs are still looking for that top 6 winger that they believed they could turn Malgin into, but they dealt him away for him instead.

Instead of TB Lightning D Sergachev fined $5K for slash on Leafs F Bunting, he would have been picking up the front row of his teeth off the ice after Marchment would have evened the score.

Now instead the Leafs are bottom filling with the 12th/13th forward in Dryden Hunt. The hope being he is more useful then Malgin was (which shouldn't be hard), but the bar has been set pretty low now.
Hmm.

Marchment has one fight this year. Not sure your theory holds.

Yes the Leafs lost the trade but it was 3 years ago.

Move on

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I wish Mason Marchment would spontaneously retire so I don’t have to hear all the whining anymore…
Mason Marchment shot a 64 on the course and caught a 70 inch bass, while saving puppies from a fire. What did Malgin shoot, catch and save?

Reactions: Jojalu

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I thought Malgin looked pretty good. Is there more to this story? Just didn't have a spot for him or something?
I think it’s just Dubas doing him a favor and giving him a chance. He’s had chances at the top 6 and hasn’t taken advantage of it. He’s played good in the bottom 6 but ideally he’s not the type you need in the bottom 6. He gets a fresh start with more opportunity with the avalanche for now with all their injuries.

I think the leafs will trade for a top 6 forward. They have Robertson ahead of him. We’ve seen Keefe go to Kerfoot in the top 6. I don’t think there’s much mor of a chance for him. He’s been giving opportunities and didn’t take advantage of it.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I think it’s just Dubas doing him a favor and giving him a chance. He’s had chances at the top 6 and hasn’t taken advantage of it. He’s played good in the bottom 6 but ideally he’s not the type you need in the bottom 6. He gets a fresh start with more opportunity with the avalanche for now with all their injuries.

I think the leafs will trade for a top 6 forward. They have Robertson ahead of him. We’ve seen Keefe go to Kerfoot in the top 6. I don’t think there’s much mor of a chance for him. He’s been giving opportunities and didn’t take advantage of it.

Yep. When it comes to forwards, our roster is full. It was getting to the point where Malgin would be waived. So they did him a favour by sending him somewhere he might be useful, rather than potentially let a randome team snag him to be a spare forward.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019

It would be ideal if Dubas could move Kerfoot and a mid level prospect / 3rd round pick to get a solid LW who could play in the top 6. Might require a third, playoff team involved who could use Kerfoot's flexibility and PK abilities to make that happen.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yeah no doubt Marchment ranks pretty low compared to some of the other mistakes made over the years.
Lanny McDonald et al for Wilf Paiement et al; Darryl Sittler for Rich Costello and a 2nd round pick (Peter Ihnachek); 1989 3rd OA (Scott Niedermayer) for Tom Kurvers; Russ Courtnall for John Kordic; Tukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft; Carlo Coliaccovo and Alexander Steen for Lee Stempniak; two firsts and a second for Phil Kessel; just off the top of my head. Then there was the time the Leafs "sold" Frank Mahovlich to Chicago for a million bucks before they all sobered up the next day.

I don't think the Marchment-Malgin deal even gets an honorable mention.

Not only that, Marchment left Florida as a free agent. He could be playing for the Leafs now, trade or no trade, for that matter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lanny McDonald et al for Wilf Paiement et al; Darryl Sittler for Rich Costello and a 2nd round pick (Peter Ihnachek); 1989 3rd OA (Scott Niedermayer) for Tom Kurvers; Russ Courtnall for John Kordic; Tukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft; Carlo Coliaccovo and Alexander Steen for Lee Stempniak; two firsts and a second for Phil Kessel; just off the top of my head. Then there was the time the Leafs "sold" Frank Mahovlich to Chicago for a million bucks before they all sobered up the next day.

I don't think the Marchment-Malgin deal even gets an honorable mention.

Not only that, Marchment left Florida as a free agent. He could be playing for the Leafs now, trade or no trade, for that matter.
Yep for sure, small part of Leaf history.
Not sure why some get so bunched up when it’s mentioned, just another piece of the teams history. Hive mind I guess, need to police the thoughts of others.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Were you this upset at the time of the Malgin/Marchment trade? I don't recall you having anything to say like the above at the time.

It's easy years later to make comments like this with the help of hindsight.

It's pretty easy to find the Malgin/Marchment trade thread, perhaps a stroll down memory lane is needed.
I am not upset .. I was happy for Mason and his family to get a chance at da show .. at time of trade I had no idear who Malgin was .. but it became pretty obvious he was another skilled player lacking in top end race speed .. and he was not going to contribute on 4th line in playoff game speed and toughness .. a top end GM can see guys like Paul and Mason and realize big men take a little longer to develop .. but guys like Dorion and Dubie they never played and just don't get that stuff .. if you look strictly at POINTS and ANALYTICS then you miss out on some guys who are sitting right in front of your face .. especially guys like Mason who we developed for Florida

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs GM Gord Stellick traded Russ Courtnall for John Kordic back in 1989 and I still haven't gotten over it, :wg: The lopsidedness of the original Marchment for Malgin rivals this one.

Leafs traded a player Mason Marchment that has produced 120 games 29 goals 50 assists 79 points ----> Denis Malgin 31 games 2 goals 2 assists 4 points ----> Dryden Hunt who after being claimed off waivers has produced in 28 games 2 goal 0 assists and 2 points. That is not all that easy to let go !!

Just think of the possibilities of different the Leafs top 6 would look with Marchment patrolling LW with either Matthews & Nylander or Tavares and Marner. He would provide the main missing ingredient from the top 6 and that is push back ability and protection and grit. Leafs are still looking for that top 6 winger that they believed they could turn Malgin into, but they dealt him away for him instead.

Instead of TB Lightning D Sergachev fined $5K for slash on Leafs F Bunting, he would have been picking up the front row of his teeth off the ice after Marchment would have evened the score.

Now instead the Leafs are bottom filling with the 12th/13th forward in Dryden Hunt. The hope being he is more useful then Malgin was (which shouldn't be hard), but the bar has been set pretty low now.
I remember watching Marchment EXTREMLY closely when he had his 4 game audition with the Leafs.
He had been having a productive AHL season and the Leaf roster ws a wasteland of Petan's, Aberg, Shore, Timashov, FREDDY the GOAT and Brooks.

Had Marchment come up as advertised and finished some checks, provided some energy, rubbed a glove in someones face.
He did absolutely nothing. I was fine with his demotion and then shipping him out for a guy with some potential.

Reactions: Tarmore and kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad