Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, Top 10 Protected 2020 1st & 2020 7th to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder || Part II

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I still think the top three will be TB/BOS/TOR in some order. I think Tampa regresses slightly. Boston might claim the Atlantic and Toronto will be 2nd or 3rd.

The last 4 months of last year don’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the Leafs’ chances next year.

They have new assistant coaches so we will have to wait and see what they can do.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I look at it this way--if the NHL had a rule that you could exceed the salary cap but had to pay a penalty of your 1st round pick the next year, would you advocate doing this to re-sign Kapanen, Johnsson, and Marner?

I would. I would hate it, but I would do it.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
His family wanting to go home to California after 2 seasons certainly wasn't factored into the original position. While uprooting his family and moving them here to TO had to be a big part of the 3 year contract otherwise it wouldn't have been worth leaving SJ.

Truth be told Marleau is being a real classy guy here, by allowing the Leafs with a full NMC to deal him to Carolina as that is no closer to his family than Toronto is, and he is making a personal sacrifice that is not in his best interest, but for the sake of the Leafs benefit. :clap:.

Its that type of character that likely was a main reason in bringing him to Toronto in the first place to mentor the younger players and help in their development. Matthews and Marner certainly hold him in high esteem and consider themselves part of his extended family.

Does anyone really believe his family drove this decision. They couldn't wait 1 more year?? lol

Obvious to me that it's face-saving. He sucks. He knows he sucks. The Leafs told him they need to move him at all cost for the sake of their future. He wants his 6.25MILLION dollars, and so the family is used as the excuse, and he accepts a trade to Carolina... What happens from here doesn't matter. He gave us our cap. He gets his $$$. No team in Cali wants him even for 1MIL. Just watch. (The family was gonna move to Cali anyway,,, not because they NEEDED to go NOW,, but because he's DONE. Totally washed. Retirement planning.)

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
The 2008-09 Leafs had a .415 winning % prior to Kessels first season.

Not sure if that makes your argument better or worse.

Yeah I was going off memory I just remember nobody thinking they’d have a lottery pick after adding Kessel.

Not the current Leafs situation but just justifying the validity of adding Top 10 protection.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
One team trades for a 1st round pick to solve their Cap issues to be able to resign their RFAs, and another deals their 1st round pick with roster player to do the same. Who has the better capologists and management?

The one that held on to their already elite U25 players while riding themselves of dead weight are the better management.

You don’t have cap problems if you don’t have proven good players. One team gets rid of proven good players to solve that problem. Ouch, that’s the easy way out but not the best way.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Glad they got rid of that contract. I like Marleau as a person but he was on the decline and all he wanted was the money. He could have stayed in SJ for a shot at the cup

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I look at it this way--if the NHL had a rule that you could exceed the salary cap but had to pay a penalty of your 1st round pick the next year, would you advocate doing this to re-sign Kapanen, Johnsson, and Marner?

I would. I would hate it, but I would do it.
Agreed I'm also surprised that no one's talking about how we stole that 6th for a 7th round pick lol. Guess we are now!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Marleau believes he can play beyond next season
Marleau was traded with a conditional first-round pick and a seventh-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday for a sixth-round pick in 2020 draft. The Hurricanes could buy out the final year of his contract so he can explore options to play closer to his home in the San Jose area.

"We'll see what happens," Marleau said. "I'll leave that to my representatives and the Hurricanes to discuss.

"I could see myself playing beyond this next year. I still feel really good and I still feel I can contribute. Last year wasn't a very good year by my standards (37 points; 16 goals, 21 assists) so I'm looking forward to proving that wrong. That kind of gets the adrenaline going. You have to prove yourself year afteryear. I look forward to doing that this year."
First off, what's fueled your family's decision to return to California?

"Everything is based on that -- family. I wanted to kind of be with them. Our one son, it's based on his schooling and what was best for him. It was at the point where my wife and kids were planning on coming back (to California) already. It kind of ties it all together. Hard to explain it all. Basically, for the kids' schooling and stuff, we thought we could get the help and support we needed here. With four boys it's a little bit easier here with family around for my wife."

How did Maple Leafs management handle your wish to leave?

"They've been nothing but professional and great through the whole thing. Very understanding both ways, both from our side and their side. There were a lot of moving parts and pieces, probably more than I'm privy to."

You've said this decision had nothing to do with any dislike of Toronto. In fact, you said your family loved the city.

"My and wife were talking about that today. The things we all were able to do there, the friendships we all made, it made the experience in Toronto amazing. The fact that the kids could skate in the backyard, they could go out and go sledding, they would have never had that chance had we not gone to Toronto. It was special. We wouldn't have traded it for the world."

Reactions: CelticDruid

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun: Veterans Dion Phaneuf and Patrick Marleau enter free...
Marleau’s family has moved back to the home they kept in San Jose and well, it’s pretty obvious where he hopes he lands all things being equal.

“Yeah, it would be nice to come back here and play where I started,” Marleau said. “It would be a good fit for me for sure.’’

Marleau’s agent Pat Brisson said Friday it’s obvious San Jose would be ideal but he and Marleau also understand the Sharks have a lot on their plate right now and they’ll need to stay patient to see how it all shakes out. So it’s not like Brisson is breathing down GM Doug Wilson’s neck. They’re giving the Sharks space to get all their other things figured out first.

Because of that, it’s not clear whether or not Marleau’s future will be decided on the first day of free agency on Monday. It could take some time.

“It might take a bit longer, I’m not sure,” Marleau said. “I know they have some things that they’re juggling around. We’ll see how it goes.’’

But it’s also not a situation where it’s San Jose or not play at all. Marleau wants to play whether it’s San Jose or elsewhere.

“I’m definitely not ready to retire, I think I’ve got some really good hockey left in me,” he said. “I couldn’t give you an exact number of years but it’s going to be more than one, I know that.’’

If San Jose isn’t a fit, finding a team out West would be the next best thing.

“Yes. You never know how things are going to play out but obviously to be close to here would be beneficial for my family,’’ Marleau said.

Which is really why Marleau didn’t show interest in joining the Hurricanes after Carolina acquired his contract and a first-round pick from the Maple Leafs. They had hoped to convince him, but they’re on the wrong coast is all.

“Nothing at all against them, they were great during the whole thing, very thankful for how they helped and how they handled things,’’ Marleau said.

Just as Marleau says no hard feelings about how things ended with the Leafs, Toronto finding a way to move his deal with a year left on it at $6.25 million because the Leafs were desperate to find cap space.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Might be one of the worst trades, maybe ever
Um... No.

Giving up a 1st in order to keep all of our good, young, NHL players, or good prospects, or anybody that could impact the NHL roster in the next 3-4 years is worth it 100% to me.

A playet that MIGHT be good in 3-4 years doesn't really line up with our competitive window and even then its a lottery ticket.

horner

May 22, 2007
His family wanting to go home to California after 2 seasons certainly wasn't factored into the original position. While uprooting his family and moving them here to TO had to be a big part of the 3 year contract otherwise it wouldn't have been worth leaving SJ.

Truth be told Marleau is being a real classy guy here, by allowing the Leafs with a full NMC to deal him to Carolina as that is no closer to his family than Toronto is, and he is making a personal sacrifice that is not in his best interest, but for the sake of the Leafs benefit. :clap:.

Its that type of character that likely was a main reason in bringing him to Toronto in the first place to mentor the younger players and help in their development. Matthews and Marner certainly hold him in high esteem and consider themselves part of his extended family.

He was probably told that he was going to play on the fourth line and spend time in the press box next season.
I think he read the tea leaves and told them to trade him.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Um... No.

Giving up a 1st in order to keep all of our good, young, NHL players, or good prospects, or anybody that could impact the NHL roster in the next 3-4 years is worth it 100% to me.

A playet that MIGHT be good in 3-4 years doesn't really line up with our competitive window and even then its a lottery ticket.

It's not a terrible trade in a vacuum, but I think you have to consider the fact that we signed Marleau to a terrible contract that put us in the position in the first place. Giving up assets to fix a problem you created is not a good hockey trade.

Definitely not the worst trade ever but it's a very bad trade.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The near meaningless exchange of 6th and 7th round draft picks suggest to me that another consideration was added if and when the 1st round pick is traded back to the Leafs in a potential post-July 1st trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad