Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, Top 10 Protected 2020 1st & 2020 7th to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder || Part II

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
didn't think I could think less of the Leafs GM, but surprise surprise, Dubas finds ways to disappoint even I didn't think he could do.

We usually see things pretty similarly... so I’m a bit surprised you’re so critical of this move.

Leafs needed that cap space off the books desperately.

I’m confused as to why Carolina even accepted this deal. 6.6 wasted cap space when they have some high profile rfa’s, and they’re a team that is usually VERY cheap when it comes to real money. All that for a protected 1st round pick? From their perspective, it seems bonkers. From the leafs perspective, they created desperately needed cap space.

Granted, if the pick wasn’t protected, I’d be much more against the trade. The leafs are a key defensive injury or two away from a playoff bubble team.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
What kind of world is this that is being displayed when you trade a 1st rounder for Carolina and Patrick Marleau

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Having such an expensive core I thought the plan was to have a steady stream of good elc players coming through to replace the older, more expensive players?

Trading two 1st round picks in 5 months is going to make for a very weak prospect pool. We better hope that nylander, matthews and marner become top players in the league.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
After 40 pages discussing Bad deal vs Good deal. I have a question.

Who do we replace Patrick Marleau with?

I recommend we sign Patrick Maroon for $2.75M x 3.
He just won the cup, that's awesome experience. At 31 he's an experienced veteran, but not too old. And is good for about 15 goals.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We usually see things pretty similarly... so I’m a bit surprised you’re so critical of this move.

Leafs needed that cap space off the books desperately.

I’m confused as to why Carolina even accepted this deal. 6.6 wasted cap space when they have some high profile rfa’s, and they’re a team that is usually VERY cheap when it comes to real money. All that for a protected 1st round pick? From their perspective, it seems bonkers. From the leafs perspective, they created desperately needed cap space.

Granted, if the pick wasn’t protected, I’d be much more against the trade. The leafs are a key defensive injury or two away from a playoff bubble team.

Protecting that pick makes it a good trade.
Like last year, the Leafs are a bubble team.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is a sad day.

I don't like this and we have no one (to date) to play LW now.

Marleau gone
Hyman out for 6 months
Johnsson not signed yet

Dubas was part of the same management team that signed Marleau.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

He just won the cup, that's awesome experience. At 31 he's an experienced veteran, but not too old. And is good for about 15 goals.
Marleau should have been played on the fourth line this season, so any elc league minimum player will do.

When it comes to veteran leadership, I think Marleau did his job splendidly, and has left his mark on Matthews and Marner.

Team still has Tavares, Muzzin, and (maybe) Hainsey as veteran leaders.

And Kadri and Rielly both have like 6-7 years experience. I think the leafs are fine, veteran wise.

Reactions: Leafling

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
This is a sad day.

Marleau gone
Hyman out for 6 months
Johnsson not signed yet

Johnsson reportedly got signed.

Also, nothing important happens in draft anyways.

You should hold off on your opinion until after July 1st, free agency period begins.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
This is a sad day.

Marleau gone
Hyman out for 6 months
Johnsson not signed yet

Johnsson is all but signed apparently. Just waiting for it to be official.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Bump up Moore/Petan. If you're signing look to bring in Perry cheap and bump Kappy/Nylander to LW.

Reactions: willmma

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
What kind of world is this that is being displayed when you trade a 1st rounder for Carolina and Patrick Marleau
Word to big bird?
This is a sad day.

Marleau gone
Hyman out for 6 months
Johnsson not signed yet

I cried
we basically got nothing back for marleau
Hey welcome back to the NHL! Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Marleau is now barely an NHL calibre hockey player at this point. Barely worth 1/5 what he was being paid

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Having such an expensive core I thought the plan was to have a steady stream of good elc players coming through to replace the older, more expensive players?

Yeah, that was the plan. Then they brought Lou in and he proceeded to get STUPID with bad UFA contracts, so now we have to give up first rounders to get rid of his terrible contracts. Thanks Lou!

Though at least he didn't have time to f*** us nearly as badly as he appears to be f***ing the Islanders with bad contracts. In a couple of years they're probably going to lose Barzal due to way too many terrible contracts to bad players...

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Word to big bird?

I cried

Hey welcome back to the NHL! Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Marleau is now barely an NHL calibre hockey player at this point. Barely worth 1/5 what he was being paid

Based on 1 playoff series? Come on

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga

Trading two 1st round picks in 5 months is going to make for a very weak prospect pool. We better hope that nylander, matthews and marner become top players in the league.

Ummm. Marner Matthews and Nylander are "top players" in the league already what the hell are you talking about?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Mikheyev probably.

We can't afford anyone else.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Based on his play the last 2 years... 1 playoff series is literally the only hesitation I have in saying he's 4th line or replacement level.

Marleau was decent in the regular season his first year and was great in the playoffs for us. He fell off a cliff this year though.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
There was a great comment on one of the Leafs instagram posts re: Marleau

"Marner gave his dad the boot"

I lol'd

Reactions: shakermaker

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
To clarify, if say our pick is 15th, and it wins the lottery and moves up to 1, 2, 3, do we keep it? Or is it top 10 protected only pre-lottery?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad