Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] Frederik Andersen for 30th Overall + 2017 2nd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
It's funny because Anaheim fans are not happy with the deal, they feel they got a small return on a true #1 goalie, one they fear is better than Gibson! :laugh:

I look at this simply -

We've added a solid #1 goalie who is just entering his prime years. He has had a consistently above average numbers in every league he's played, and been a strong playoff performer as well. He will solidify the position until a kid is ready to take over.

Say we take Matthews #1, a big D #31 (if Stanley drops, or maybe Markus Niemelainen), and the best goalie still available at #57 - and we're well on our way in the rebuild.

With a goalie or two drafted this week-end, I think that our forwards and goaltending will be on solid footing, with the emphasis shifting to filling out the D corp (I would expect at least 3 or 4 to be drafted this week-end).

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
It's funny because Anaheim fans are not happy with the deal, they feel they got a small return on a true #1 goalie, one they fear is better than Gibson! :laugh:

Some think he's better than Gibson, especially with Gibson's health concerns (groin).

However, they understand they wouldn't be able to pay Andersen $5mil over the next 5 years. They are also quite happy with the return. (some wanted to add a dump like Stoner in though)

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Meh you almost never go into a rebuild intending to rely on a goalie you drafted and developed. They are such a crap shoot 99% of the time. It's really the one position you go after in any way possible. Of course there have been some no brainer goalie picks but they are so rare. Any goalie we draft this season Might be ready in 5-7yrs and that's just to get his first few NHL games before you even know if he's any good let alone starter material

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016
I'm also sure Shanny and Lou have done their due diligence in making sure Andersen is a great guy in the locker room.

Think about it this way: Would you trade Carter Hart and a 2nd round pick for Andersen? I definitely would. This team should be ready to compete in 1-2 years

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I'm also sure Shanny and Lou have done their due diligence in making sure Andersen is a great guy in the locker room.

Think about it this way: Would you trade Carter Hart and a 2nd round pick for Andersen? I definitely would. This team should be ready to compete in 1-2 years

We might still be able to draft Hart with 31st.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Looks like the Leafs used a lot more than just eye scouting to go after Andersen and other goaltenders.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
30th overall pick honestly is really a 2nd. I like this draft at the top, but I dont think there is as much depth in the 20-40 range. I could be wrong, but I feel the price is easily worth it

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Andersen might work out well for us. None of us really can say for sure one way or the other.

But that's the problem. We just invested a first round pick, second round pick and $25 million in a question mark.

And, like you said, we don't know if we have a Bishop or another Bernier. We've committed way too much to Andersen for that kind of uncertainty.

If you look at their body of work prior to when the acquisitions were made, I think there is far more certainty with Andersen compared to Bernier. Andersen played more games as a starter than Gibson the last few years and put up stellar numbers. Bernier used to play 15 games a season behind Quick.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
In what world is solidifying a glaring weakness with surplus assets a bad thing?

Every team needs goaltending, including us. Our time to contend is faster then most seem to think, and this move isnt out out of line at all.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
30th overall pick honestly is really a 2nd.

I keep reading this.

Why do we need to go to such lengths to justify a move to start calling 1st rounders 2nds?

Honestly the 30th overall pick is a 1st rounder. There's no other way to put it. Yes it's almost round 2. But it's not. Honestly, especially, it's not :)

If it was 27th overall does it make it look any different? It's a late 1st and likely early 2nd.

Honestly. ;)

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
In what world is solidifying a glaring weakness with surplus assets a bad thing?

Every team needs goaltending, including us. Our time to contend is faster then most seem to think, and this move isnt out out of line at all.

Exactly. We likely could have taken Carter Hart with the 30th pick but would have to wait 5 years at least for him to develop.

A goalie's prime usually goes to 32-33, Andersen is signed to that age and will get a chance to be an older leader/mentor in our locker room due to that. Management has also shown confidence in him to be the guy, they want our young guys to have a good goalie to play with. Its not very difficult to understand but some people just complain for the sake of complaining.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

It's a bad thing if you acquire the wrong player.

I love everything about the Shanaplan but this is the 1st move in 2 years that I seen and my first through was: That's a Nonis/JFJ style move. High picks and a long term deal for a goalie that's never played in a big market or played behind a weak team.

But i'll gladly admit to my first impression being wrong if it works out. But it certainly could end up being a bad thing if Andersen can't handle this market or take the reigns and run with it as a #1 goalie for us.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Looks like the Leafs used a lot more than just eye scouting to go after Andersen and other goaltenders.

But math and acronyms for big words are nerdy, so analytics are nonsense. I played house league for 10 years are beer league for 10. I don't need no numbers.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
30th overall pick honestly is really a 2nd. I like this draft at the top, but I dont think there is as much depth in the 20-40 range. I could be wrong, but I feel the price is easily worth it

And the 31st overall pick honestly is really a 1st. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad