Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He was likely supposed to be a cap dump in the Andersen trade but the Leafs agreed to pay his signing bonus then essentially trade him for free to the Ducks.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
You know what cracks me up the most about this?

Its Andersen + mysterious conditional pick for

Bernier

1st

2nd

When the Ducks couldnt protect him in the expansion draft anyways.

mytduxfan*

Bernier

1st

2nd

This isn't the first deal to bust the ridiculous notion that teams with players they can't protect are just going have to accept some crappy, low-ball offer from [INSERT TEAM NAME] for fear of losing their highly-talented assets at the expansion draft. Not happening.

:laugh: at all those who said Andersen wouldn't even get a 1st.

Andersen for Bernier (@ ~50% retained) + 1st + 2nd. :yo:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Bernier

1st

2nd

Leafs won't be picking in the expansion draft and that's a year away.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So essentially Bernier was traded for nothing because I have a hard time seeing those conditions being meet.

Goes to show that HF is out to lunch on its trade speculation. Hall for Larsson, PK for Weber, Z for Brassard, Bernier for nothing, etc etc...

Whatever posters think a player is worth doesn't matter, all that matters is what one GM wants and what the other is willing to give up. And unless we are psychics on here we have no way of knowing what the GM's are thinking.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Bernier

1st

2nd

or afford him

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Bernier

1st

2nd

I don't see why it cracks you up. That has no relevance at all for Toronto. The Leafs aren't picking in the expansion draft. What do you think would happen? The Ducks would just sell low on Andersen, because he could get picked up by Las Vegas a year from now? You know what that means? Nothing. It means absolutely nothing to the teams that, right now, would have interest in Andersen.

The only team that would have benefited from Anaheim not protecting him was Las Vegas, and if they had picked him, that means they aren't picking another good player from the roster that wouldn't have been protected. That's pretty much it. And that doesn't help a team like Toronto, if they feel Andersen will be their #1.

corunnakid

Jun 28, 2016
Now Leafs need a back up goalie, a veteran preferably. Dallas is coveting Bishop, Tampa needs cap space. Dallas cannot trade for Bishop without getting rid of Lehtonin/Niemi. I propose Leafs trade for Niemi + Eakin for Bozak + Holland +Lievo.

Last edited:

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I don't see why it cracks you up. That has no relevance at all for Toronto. The Leafs aren't picking in the expansion draft. What do you think would happen? The Ducks would just sell low on Andersen, because he could get picked up by Las Vegas a year from now? You know what that means? Nothing. It means absolutely nothing to the teams that, right now, would have interest in Andersen.

The only team that would have benefited from Anaheim not protecting him was Las Vegas, and if they had picked him, that means they aren't picking another good player from the roster that wouldn't have been protected. That's pretty much it. And that doesn't help a team like Toronto, if they feel Andersen will be their #1.

Ok. But your spin doesnt effect my assertion. You pulled out your TWEEZERS to pick out and attack one part of my post. (like the others did too)

Ducks couldnt protect him. But regardless of that .....

Ducks got a 1st 2nd and Bernier for him and a mystery late pick if that.

It cracks me up. Good for the Ducks.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ok. But your spin doesnt effect my assertion. You pulled out your TWEEZERS to pick out and attack one part of my post. (like the others did too)

Ducks couldnt protect him. But regardless of that .....

Ducks got a 1st 2nd and Bernier for him and a mystery late pick if that.

It cracks me up. Good for the Ducks.

Because your post doesn't make sense. Teams still need to try to improve themselves. Do you think the NHL just stops until the expansion draft? That GM's stop trying to make moves? Toronto had a need to address. If it wasn't Toronto, it would have been another team.

The expansion draft has little relevance for a move like this. And, again, even if Anaheim hadn't traded him, Vegas picking up Andersen means another good player from their roster isn't taken. That's how it works. Only one player can be picked per team. In other words, it's a win either way for Anaheim. They either get a solid return for Andersen now, or Vegas might pick Andersen and the Ducks get to keep another player they wouldn't have been able to protect.

You seemed to be taking a shot at Toronto for spending assets on Andersen, but I don't think you fully grasped the situation. The expansion doesn't really factor into this. This was just Toronto addressing a need, and Anaheim getting assets for a player that they felt didn't have a long-term future in Anaheim. I'd call it a win on both sides, not just for Anaheim. In fact, between the two teams, I think Anaheim is taking a bigger risk here than Toronto is. Toronto knows they have a good goalie. Anaheim is banking on Gibson progressing and staying healthy, with Bernier being a solid contingency or a good back-up. As someone mentioned before, the salary factors into this for Anaheim as well.

There are no tweezers here. It's just some people calling you out on an unnecessary shot at Toronto spending assets to get a player that makes them a better team, because you somehow felt the expansion draft meant he should be had for cheap. I don't think the issue is them attacking one part of your post, but you making a misinformed post. An entire post, not just one part.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Well it MIGHT have had an effect on the Ducks need to move the guy. And they still got all that for him.

I don't see how that's thst big of deal. Maybe if this was next off-season when the Ducks would lose him soon. However, that's a year away. I don't think that makes the deal any worse for Toronto at all.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Why in God's name are we STILL talking about this? Does Toronto ever let go of its love affairs/agendas with players?

mytduxfan*

Why in God's name are we STILL talking about this? Does Toronto ever let go of its love affairs/agendas with players?

News came out today about the conditions of the conditional pick used in the acquisition of Bernier. Hence, this thread got bumped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad