Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Lou you old idiot.

Though I guess this was just an extension of the Andersen deal, and you can't just give away a player so they set some ludicrous conditions.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Not a huge fan of Andersen, but he's an upgrade over Bernier. Looks like the Leafs just wanted to dump Bernier's cap, really. Not a bad move.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This thread just shows how much Leafs fans overvalue their assets.

You mean other fans don't?

For the record though,

We got Rychel for Harrington

We got 2 2nds for Spaling, Polak (we just had to take Torres, big deal)

We got a 3rd round pick and Ben Smith for Reimer

We got a 2nd, Laich, and Carrick for Winnik

We managed to move Dion Phaneuf for other cap dumps for a 2nd + Lindberg (B prospect) - Apparently he was untradeable!

We were also told no one would take Bernier unless we took a dump back. We didn't. Nith below me hit the nail on the head. He carried a big cap hit and most likely is a back up for most teams. Attach him as part of the Andersen deal or look at it as a separate deal if you want but the reality is I don't think Bernier had that much value, we clearly chose to go with Andersen for the foreseeable future.

Seems to me as though we've done better then most of the armchair GMs on HFboards would have expected.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Bernier is in all likelihood a backup carrying a big cap hit. Goaltenders in general tend to not have much value unless they are starting material or has the potential to be. There's better argument for Bernier having negative value than that they should have got something of consequence for him.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm not a fan of this trade, as it seems like a long shot we get anything for him. Adding it as part of the Anderson trade doesn't make me like it anymore. We either could have gotten more for him like his Leaf supporters think, or his value was as low as the portion of the Leaf fan base that had soured on him thought. Leafs management better hope Andersson turns out as well as they seem to think, based on the trade and contract.

It's quite common among any fanbase to, generally, overvalue their teams assets. If you think it's a team/fanbase exclusive thing, you haven't been around long enough. It's also primarily the handful of vocal fans on these boards that do so, not necessarily the entire fanbase.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

Or, because you can't trade a player for nothing, and Anaheim wanted Toronto to pick up the $2M signing bonus (real dollars owed to bernier now ~$2.5M albeit with at cap it of $4M+) Bernier was actually part of the Andersen trade.

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
If Bernier was included at the time the Anderson deal was made I don't think anyone would change their opinion on the deal.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Keeping and starting Bernier would give the Leafs a chance at a higher first round pick in 2017. It could be their last chance at a high pick with the rebuild developing the way it has been.

Plus if he was average enough they could have flipped him at the deadline for another pick.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Nice conditions from a Ducks' POV. Really can't complain with an Andersen return of late 1st, mid 2nd and Bernier at a $2.15M salary. Actually better than what I hoped for.

Mad Brills*

Nice conditions from a Ducks' POV. Really can't complain with an Andersen return of late 1st, mid 2nd and Bernier at a $2.15M salary. Actually better than what I hoped for.

leafs didn't retain salary on the cap, but for the ducks it basically is retained salary, so good for you guys.

Lou made a bad trade.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yep, good trade all around. Nothing wrong with everyone coming out ahead.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
leafs didn't retain salary on the cap, but for the ducks it basically is retained salary, so good for you guys.
Salary is salary, cap hit is cap hit, that's why I put it the way I did. :)

Lou made a bad trade.
I wouldn't say that just yet. If Andersen lives up to his potential, nobody will bat an eye. He's a confident dude, so I doubt the pressure of the market is going to get to him the same way, despite his own occasional mental lapses.

Mad Brills*

Salary is salary, cap hit is cap hit, that's why I put it the way I did. :)

I wouldn't say that just yet. If Andersen lives up to his potential, nobody will bat an eye. He's a confident dude, so I doubt the pressure of the market is going to get to him the same way, despite his own occasional mental lapses.

Bernier's better than most thought, but his mental lapses are few and far between, but when they happen, they're putrid.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You mean other fans don't?

For the record though,

We got Rychel for Harrington

We got 2 2nds for Spaling, Polak (we just had to take Torres, big deal)

We got a 3rd round pick and Ben Smith for Reimer

We got a 2nd, Laich, and Carrick for Winnik

We managed to move Dion Phaneuf for other cap dumps for a 2nd + Lindberg (B prospect) - Apparently he was untradeable!

We were also told no one would take Bernier unless we took a dump back. We didn't. Nith below me hit the nail on the head. He carried a big cap hit and most likely is a back up for most teams. Attach him as part of the Andersen deal or look at it as a separate deal if you want but the reality is I don't think Bernier had that much value, we clearly chose to go with Andersen for the foreseeable future.

Seems to me as though we've done better then most of the armchair GMs on HFboards would have expected.

Counting that as a win already? Rychel has yet to play a game here. :laugh:

I also think the Leafs could have found a better deal for Reimer. Seems like with both of the goalie trades it was the Leafs just cutting their losses and moving on, instead of looking around for a better deal.

Mad Brills*

I also think the Leafs could have found a better deal for Reimer. Seems like with both of the goalie trades it was the Leafs just cutting their losses and moving on, instead of looking around for a better deal.

Tend to agree, but I don't think reimer was signing for as little in AAV in Toronto as he did in florida.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

If we're taking Lou at his word that SJS was literally the only team that inquired on Reimer then a 3rd round pick is a good return considering Reimer was expiring and the Leafs looked to be turning the page.

Not necessarily a win, but I think we did upgrade in terms of the caliber of prospect we received.

buttman*

Yes, apparently Lou said someone offered a 1st round pick. Lou declined saying the Leafs already had two 1sts and needed another third instead. He apparently was worried about too many signing bonuses for first rounds picks affecting the cap.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
So 90% chance they get nothing?

correct. Gibson is the starter so really, the only chance the Leafs have of getting a pick is if Bernier outplays him, or Gibson gets injured. However, they also have to make the Cup finals, and based on our current roster, that isn't happening. We're going to see some big changes for us this off-season though, but still, likely nothing going to Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad