Top Ten Offensemen (Offensive D-men)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
oh, i agree with you, i was just responding i guess to the tone i interpreted your post held... (personally i do feel kondratiev is a b-level so i agree completely)...

re-reading your post i see where i went wrong in replying... i read the tone wrong... the first thing i thought of for some reason was colorado always doing those types of trades, then i thought of the sami pahlsson / ray bourque deal (where sami was some stud or something)... meh, i'm babbling, i'm tired

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Leaf Army said:
That's not exactly how it works.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning Colaiacovo in a thread like this. It's perfectly reasonable- he's a great prospect.

What ends up happening is that every time someone brings up Colaiacovo, some nitwit shows up to say that he's "overrated". There's no logical reason for them to say this- it's likely just because he's a Leaf prospect.

Shaone Morrison was brought up numerous times and there was no one calling him overrated. Jim Sharrow was brought up more than once- why isn't he being called overrated? Do you want me to continue?

Army, I happen to agree with you on the fact that Colaiacovo is a great prospect. I feel that people like to put him down simply because there is a long history of poor drafting and of Leafs fans hyping players who never turn into anything or are called up for a cup of coffee and are then never heard from again. He is quite obviously good enough to be mentioned in the top 15 D men, when considering prospects. Will he be a player in the NHL? At this point, I feel he will be, and the Leafs are very deep when it comes to the defence position. This is the other problem Carlo has faced. The Leafs have picked up decent NHL D men lately and that has afforded them the opportunity to allow him to learn the game by playing a lot and in all situations. When he does get his shot, which I feel will come at some point during this next season, he will make some mistakes, but he will stick, and only get better. Cheers.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I find Colaiacovo overrated b/c alot of Leaf fans group him in there with the really elite defensive prospects just so they can say teh leafs have a guy up there as well. Now this doesn't mean Colaiacovo isn't an excelletn prospect by anymeans but when some leaf fan talks of him wiht guys like Boowmeaster, Pitkanen, Phaneuf, Suter and Coburn you tend to get alittle agitated with leaf fans sometimes. Yes you shouldn't label all fans teh same just b/c a few who cheer for the same team are alittle homerish but there are alot of Leaf fans out there so you hear alot more Leaf homers out there as well especially if you live in Leaf land.

I didn't like the comment about Shaon Morrisonn as the Bruins defensive corps were jsut as deep as teh Leafs if not deeper since 2001. 2001 roster had Gill,Boynton,O'Donel,Sweeney, McLaren and then the dregs Brown and Girard whos actually not that bad. In 2002 it was even deeper with I beleive McGillis, Boynton, Sweeny, O'Donnel, Gil, Girard, Moran and Brown. Thats not all that bad. i think the 2003 Bruins defense corps wasn't as strong so I dont know what happened with him there. Either way the point is that the Bruins werent as bad on teh blueline as thy were made out to be. Though it wasn't like it was completley a stacked group wiht no room for any youngsters on it.

Oh yeah back to Colaiacovo, he did have a pretty good season last year in the AHL putting up some pretty decent numbers in his rookie year. While he put up good numbers for a rookie reports said he did improve his defensive and his physical game some as well. Now that the AHL has really upgraded its talent pool this year i wonder if Colaiacovo will be able to keep up the pace he was at from last year. If not I woudln't hold it against him to much but it will be a good indicator he may be a couple more years away and may not be as great as some extreme fans think he is. He could still end up as a Toni Lydman or along those lines, good two way defenseman who moves teh puck well and helps the transition and can play 2nd PP time and play 1st PP time incase of injury. I dont think thats that bad at all IMO as I like Lydman.

The pre season thing just to butt my nose in everywhere. You cant put to much stock in the pre season but its a fairly good indicator to see how your prospects match up against other teams better prospects and fringe NHLers trying to make clubs. yes superstar players are playing in teh pre season as well but not alot and wiht the same passion as when the real season starts. The competition is intense but it also veries in its quality from shift to shift as 1 shift you will be playing against top NHLers and the next it will be against undrafted enforcers trying to win a minor league job. But still I dont think its meaningless but nothing that huge or great either. Its always a good sign though when your better prospects really do well though cause it shows they are getting to a level were tehy are much better than minor leaguers and may be ready to test themselves against the real deal.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Mr.Hunter74 said:
I find Colaiacovo overrated b/c alot of Leaf fans group him in there with the really elite defensive prospects just so they can say teh leafs have a guy up there as well.

HF cliche

Mr.Hunter74 said:
Now this doesn't mean Colaiacovo isn't an excelletn prospect by anymeans but when some leaf fan talks of him wiht guys like Boowmeaster, Pitkanen, Phaneuf, Suter and Coburn you tend to get alittle agitated with leaf fans sometimes.

WHY???? why is putting carlo in with coburn so assinine? i haven't read any thread with him on the same level with pitkanen or bouwmeester, but what the hell is so assinine with putting him in a group with coburn (who has some major criticisms of his own) and even stuart .. remember, this thread is about OFFENSIVE dmen prospects, something coburn shouldn't be grouped into as his fortee, nor phaneuf, it's a thread about offensive dmen, meaning offense is their primary weapon

i get agitated reading comments like the above quote that simply elevate other names just.. well.. because someone feels like it

Mr.Hunter74 said:
Yes you shouldn't label all fans teh same just b/c a few who cheer for the same team are alittle homerish but there are alot of Leaf fans out there so you hear alot more Leaf homers out there as well especially if you live in Leaf land.

gee, more cliche

Mr.Hunter74 said:
Brown and Girard whos actually not that bad. In 2002 it was even deeper with I beleive McGillis, Boynton, Sweeny, O'Donnel, Gil, Girard, Moran and Brown. Thats not all that bad.

brown and girard, easily beatable... girard, MORAN, and brown.. again, EASILY beatable for a roster spot... one could point out though that boston was in a similar situation as the leafs in a sense that they had veterans that could not be sent down b/c of waivers and therefore making more money, so morrisonn is a cheaper option in the ahl, and still plenty young

Mr.Hunter74 said:
Oh yeah back to Colaiacovo, he did have a pretty good season last year in the AHL putting up some pretty decent numbers in his rookie year. While he put up good numbers for a rookie reports said he did improve his defensive and his physical game some as well. Now that the AHL has really upgraded its talent pool this year i wonder if Colaiacovo will be able to keep up the pace he was at from last year. If not I woudln't hold it against him to much but it will be a good indicator he may be a couple more years away and may not be as great as some extreme fans think he is. He could still end up as a Toni Lydman or along those lines, good two way defenseman who moves teh puck well and helps the transition and can play 2nd PP time and play 1st PP time incase of injury. I dont think thats that bad at all IMO as I like Lydman.

this is the first decent part of the post IMHO, and i agree completely

the end part about pre-season i don't want to comment on

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
In regards to the compareing Colaiacovo to the "elite" defenseman prospects I was referring to there overall games and not just there offensive games. I should of made that clear in the original post.

Why I dont like clumping Colo in wiht a guy like Coburn and Phaneuf. I just think when you compare there overall game to each other you will see that Colburn/Phaneuf are a higher caliber of prospect in my opinion and the differense is significant enough that they should not be clumped together. But if in just offensive terms then yes there is an argument there for haveing Colo up there with the top offensive guys as he did have some good numbers. Offensively you cant disregard Colo's offensive numbers as they are very good, especially his final year in junior.

Well I dont think Coburns offensive game is all as cracked up as some would say I do think Phaneufs offensive game is very underrated. Well Phaneufs offensive game may not be as underrated now that he's started this new season off pretty hot. Look for alot of people to start jumping ship and calling him an offensive dynamo now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad