Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
isn't he still available for the draft?

Yep. He'll be drafted fairly highly in my opinion. Very fluid player from the back end with sound offensive instincts. Not sure if he cracks the first but I think he should at least go in the second based on all the games I've seen from him this season.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yep. He'll be drafted fairly highly in my opinion. Very fluid player from the back end with sound offensive instincts. Not sure if he cracks the first but I think he should at least go in the second based on all the games I've seen from him this season.

I doubt he will get drafted. I believe he becomes an ufa next season so teams would rather wait than use a draft pick. Overagers seldom get drafted because teams feel they can get them without wasting assets. I think it's foolish that teams don't use at least 7th Rd picks on these type of player but the trend is for not drafting these players at all, especially high.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I doubt he will get drafted. I believe he becomes an ufa next season so teams would rather wait than use a draft pick. Overagers seldom get drafted because teams feel they can get them without wasting assets. I think it's foolish that teams don't use at least 7th Rd picks on these type of player but the trend is for not drafting these players at all, especially high.

While I agree with you that overage collegians don't get picked high, I disagree that they are seldom selected. They're just not ranked by the various scouting services/publications much of the time.

Justin Florek (Northern Michigan), Garrett Noonan (Boston University), Chris Wideman (Miami) and Brett Perlini (Michigan State) are a few examples of collegiate overagers that were taken in recent drafts.

FYI to everyone, Laleggia is draft eligible this year. Whether he actually gets drafted remains to be seen.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Tynan went in the third round last season after it being his second year of eligibility as well.

So certainly not out of the question that LaLeggia goes high-ish, let alone being drafted. In my opinion, I believe LaLeggia is a markedly better prospect and one that possibly projects to be dynamic at a more valuable position. Both players had great freshman years.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

overagers in general get drafted way more then you think. more and more college overagers are getting drafted as well. seems like a nice new trend for teams to pick kids a year or two more seasoned with mid round picks. though TJ Tynan and Chase Balisy are two of my top redraft talents.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
While I agree with you that overage collegians don't get picked high, I disagree that they are seldom selected. They're just not ranked by the various scouting services/publications much of the time.

Justin Florek (Northern Michigan), Garrett Noonan (Boston University), Chris Wideman (Miami) and Brett Perlini (Michigan State) are a few examples of collegiate overagers that were taken in recent drafts.

FYI to everyone, Laleggia is draft eligible this year. Whether he actually gets drafted remains to be seen.

just saw your response after I posted mine! drafting overagers from college is becoming a pretty decent trend more and more now...and I like it a lot.

I really like Florek, what a solid player he can be.

Maybe you can tell me more of Garrett Noonan OC? I saw him a handful of times this year, but man is this kid scoring big goals or what?? can he keep anything like this up at the AHL/NHL level in your opinion?

Thanks Oilers Chick...

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com

Craig Smith was also passed up in previous drafts. In fact, I believe he was passed in two drafts before Nashville used a selection on him.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Nashville likes their overagers. Drafted 3 in 2011 (plus a 20 year old European), and usually draft at least 1 every year

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Can any of you guys give me a scouting report on:
Nate Schmidt (U. of Minnesota)
David Makowski (U. of Denver)
Travis Oleksuk (U. of Minnesota-Duluth)
Eriah Hayes (Minnesota State U - Mankato)
Michael Young (U. of Nebraska-Omaha)
Michael Perreira (UMass-Amherst)

Also if you could please include whether or not you think they will get signed to a professional contract this year I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Can any of you guys give me a scouting report on:
Nate Schmidt (U. of Minnesota)
David Makowski (U. of Denver)
Travis Oleksuk (U. of Minnesota-Duluth)
Eriah Hayes (Minnesota State U - Mankato)
Michael Young (U. of Nebraska-Omaha)
Michael Perreira (UMass-Amherst)

Also if you could please include whether or not you think they will get signed to a professional contract this year I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

if Nate Schmidt doesnt get signed it would be an absolute crime. he is probably in the top 3-5 for top puck moving dmen in all of college imo...the kid needs to get stronger off the puck, but he can develope nicely in the AHL. Schmidt is having one hell of a season pretty much coming out of nowhere from his previous seasons. he is a player that should translate well to the pro style, but teams might be concerned with him having one really great year only...

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
if Nate Schmidt doesnt get signed it would be an absolute crime. he is probably in the top 3-5 for top puck moving dmen in all of college imo...the kid needs to get stronger off the puck, but he can develope nicely in the AHL. Schmidt is having one hell of a season pretty much coming out of nowhere from his previous seasons. he is a player that should translate well to the pro style, but teams might be concerned with him having one really great year only...

Agreed. The kid also has an absolute bomb of a shot and is a very fluid skater. He'll be back at Minnesota next year for his junior year, then it's anyone's guess whether or not he turns pro.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
With Western Michigan out, I wonder how long before Dekeyser signs.

could have just been a deflection to be able to focus on today's game but from 3 days ago:

• Highly-touted undrafted college prospect Dan DeKeyser, who many NHL teams have been watching this year, said today: "I'm planning on coming back, but I just want to finish out the year right now. Sure, it's a decision I have to make. I think I could make the next step, but maybe another year here will prepare me more. And, I love it here. I love being a Bronco." [Detroit News]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ngs-visit-rangers-bernier-gets-223752321.html

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
I think it's a good idea for him to stay for another year, Detroit has to many defensemen for next year.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
just saw your response after I posted mine! drafting overagers from college is becoming a pretty decent trend more and more now...and I like it a lot.

Maybe you can tell me more of Garrett Noonan OC? I saw him a handful of times this year, but man is this kid scoring big goals or what?? can he keep anything like this up at the AHL/NHL level in your opinion?

Thanks Oilers Chick...

Justin Florek signed with the Bruins this week and was terrific in his first game with the AHL Providence Bruins.

Florek had 2 goals and 2 assists and was the #1 star. He was a Bruins 5th round draft pick.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
From the Hockey East:

Have yet to scout BC, Prov, UMassLowell, Merrimack, Vermont and Maine.

San Jose already grabbed Stalberg. Not sure there's really much of anyone else worth having from this team since Brickley's a Panthers draftee. Couple of promising freshmen forwards and a junior defenseman whose numbers were okay for a horrible team...but they went 3-23-1 this season and couldn't really score or defend, so there's not a lot to recommend anyone at this point.

Hmph - didn't even notice the team had 5 draftees on the roster this season. That's more than they have had historically.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Only seen DeKeyser a handful of times this year and once live. Don't see what others see in him, I guess. Solid player but being ready to leave school and the top NCAA free agent? Eh, I guess I didn't see that type of showing from him.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site

Thanks Oilers Chick...

I think so, especially the way his development has come along. This is not to say that he will sign with Nashville this off-season, although anything is possible.

Noonan is a great puck-moving defenseman. He skates really well, although I think Clendening is a better skater. But Noonan has more power in his strides. He does a good job of taking care of his own, but the two thinks I'd like to see him improve his decision-making, especially in puck distribution, and being a bit more disciplined. His decision-making at times this season was terrible. There was one game, I believe it was against Maine, where he had a man open on his right side just inside Maine's blueline and for some strange reason threw the puck up the middle where it was nearly picked off by a Maine player. Noonan plays a with a good amount of grit, but he also took some bad penalties this year. If he can improve those areas, he could be a very good at the next level.

Fleury and Smallz: What specifically would like to know about them?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
BTW, I'm hearing that J.T. Brown (Minnesota-Duluth) is close to signing an NHL contract.

The scuttlebutt going around seems to indicate that he'll sign with the Flyers. Whether that's true or not, remains to be seen. I'm just passing along the info.

For those of you that missed it, Minnesota-Duluth was sent home by Boston College last night in the Northeast Regional Final of the NCAA Tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad