Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
If you're looking at good NCAA guys that are unsigned(no matter where they were drafted): Charlie Coyle, Chris Kreider, Drew Shore, Brock Nelson, Jaden Schwartz, Bill Arnold, Matt Nieto.

They were all early picks, but are all unsigned.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
If you're looking at good NCAA guys that are unsigned(no matter where they were drafted): Charlie Coyle, Chris Kreider, Drew Shore, Brock Nelson, Jaden Schwartz, Bill Arnold, Matt Nieto.

They were all early picks, but are all unsigned.

Once you sign an ELC don't you lose college eligibility? So listing the unsigned drafted players is kinda pointless as they all are unsigned (I know the OP said drafted players count too).

Anchor Town*

Scott Greenham - UAF

Should one of if not the top NCAA FA goalie

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Gabe Guentzel and David Makowski are two defensemen that should garner some end of year attention.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I really only follow Flames prospects. Both Bill Arnold and John Gaudreau have gotten off to nice starts with BC. Arnold was a bit of a longshot when the Flames drafted him, but he's looking like he might be a player to keep an eye on. Everyone likes skilled centres with size.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Gabe Guentzel and David Makowski are two defensemen that should garner some end of year attention.

Makowski attended the Wild's Prospect Deveolopment Camp this summer. I'm hoping that and the fact that Jason Zucker is his teammate at DU help sway him to sign in Minnesota.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Makowski attended the Wild's Prospect Deveolopment Camp this summer. I'm hoping that and the fact that Jason Zucker is his teammate at DU help sway him to sign in Minnesota.

I could see that happening, both Paul Thompson and Brians Gibbons attended a Pens Prospect development camp then went back to college for their senior years and ended up signing deals with the Pens once they finished college.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why not stick this as a place to talk the UFA side of the NCAA prospect shop and keep it all in one place over the course of the season?

*sticky*

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
big one to keep an eye on is JT Brown from Duluth attended the wild and flyers camps.

Plays a fast physical forechecking game will be valuable because he can be a great 3rd line player.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
btw, anyone can comment on Matt Lindblad of Dartmouth and Adam Phillips of Massachussets?

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I saw Brown at the Frozen Four and came away very impressed. A few of the UMD fans I was sitting near told me he is still very raw and is a late bloomer. The only issue I could see is whether his size will be an issue to translating his game to the NHL level.

What about Brown's teammate Travis Oleksuk?

Brian Flynn of Maine
Rylan Schwartz of CC

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
redarmynative: Scooter has already graduated and I think he may signed an ECHL contact over the summer. Not entirely sure on that one.

Mathletic: Didn't get to see much of Lindblad last season, so I can give anything that would be of any help.

Phillips is an intriguing kid. Big (about 6'6") skates pretty well for a kid his size, has a bomb of a shot from the point. He's an offensive-minded defenseman, likes to jump up into the plays. Right now, the biggest thing he needs to work on is taking care of his end and knowing when to jump up into plays. There were a couple of times whether he jumped in at the absolute wrong time and it nearly cost his team. In one game versus BU, it led to a goal by Wade Megan (I think it was).

Everyone has made some good picks, here's a few more that's sure to stir up some chatter (in no particular order). FYI, not all of them are seniors this year:

Jack Connolly - Minnesota-Duluth
Scott Zurevinski - Quinnipiac
Jack Maclellan - Brown
Jeremy Welsh - Union College
Spencer Abbott - Maine
Chris Rawlings - Northeastern
Torey Krug - Michigan State
Dan DeKeyser - Western Michigan
Michael Young - Nebraska-Omaha
Ryan Flanigan - Merrimack
Drew Leblanc - St. Cloud State

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Phillips is an intriguing kid. Big (about 6'6") skates pretty well for a kid his size, has a bomb of a shot from the point. He's an offensive-minded defenseman, likes to jump up into the plays. Right now, the biggest thing he needs to work on is taking care of his end and knowing when to jump up into plays. There were a couple of times whether he jumped in at the absolute wrong time and it nearly cost his team. In one game versus BU, it led to a goal by Wade Megan (I think it was).

I dunno. I came away pretty unimpressed after watching him against Providence.

He's big, got size and got a good reach. Like you said, has a bomb for a shot, which he used to score a goal. But besides that, there isn't much offense there, Joel Hanley usually mans the point. I thought his mobility was somewhat poor. He gets where he needs to be but looks heavy on his skates so I'm worried if that will translate to higher levels.

Now UMass classmate Steven Guzzo, he's a guy I love...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->